Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Languages
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
As many folks have noticed, Alliance have lost the ability to speak Orcish. In place of that, everyone can now speak Gutterspeak. Hordies can still speak Common, though.

Gutterspeak should now be used in place of Common if Forsaken are present for cross-faction communication. It should NOT BE REGARDED ICly. I had heard of arguments arising in the past where some people would say "But my character doesn't speak Orcish!" when requested to switch to it when a Forsaken was present. It should have never been seen as IC in that regard.

Thanks to Gwen for the idea, as well.
Cool idea, but there is one small problem. :/ Death Knights of the Horde faction know neither Gutterspeak, nor common, thus we cannot talk to the Alliance.
Alliance Death Knights know neither Orcish nor Gutterspeak, and Horde Death Knights know neither Common nor Gutterspeak. This is not a very good fix for the problem at hand.

Edit: Vrahn said the same thing.
A nice idea but doesn't this mean cross-faction RP isn't that much possible anymore?
For one needs to know Orcish to understand Orcish in OOC and that now been removed from the alliance.
I havn't tested this yet but it does seem the case
that we can no longer communicate well unless horde faction starts speaking gutterspeak.
It does seem like there would be extra steps to achieve the same result. Now instead of just alliance characters switching to Orcish, both hordes and allies have to switch to Gutterspeak. As Orcish and Common were both default languages they were easily used as you could speak either one and other players could understand, without having to switch your language every time you re-zone.
I think this is a good idea, lore wise there would be very few if any alliance that speak orcish, far more orcs that speak common. As for cross faction RP I think this adds to it, not taking away from it. We will just have to be more creative with our RP. There will most likely be misunderstandings and what not but that's the way it should be, liven things up. Lastly, there is still /e to talk in
Tested, the inability of not being able to understand orcish brings high annoyance.
Especially in the OOC area where you have to ask every horde to switch languages.
And that's annoying for them to do aswell.
So not the best of moves to take away the ability to understand Orcish.
Yet, it makes it more lore realistic. Which is what Kretol intended in the first place.
regarding the DK problem, ICly it might be an idea if they were to hire an interpreter while they are in the area, after all irl not everyone can unterstand everyone else. Just a thought:?
noscere Wrote:regarding the DK problem, ICly it might be an idea if they were to hire an interpreter while they are in the area, after all irl not everyone can unterstand everyone else. Just a thought:?
Or simply speak in emotes. For those Horde characters that may not want to switch from Orcish, they could easily just use emotes. Most people tend to do so anyhow.
Perhaps, though the Death Knight inability to whisper anyone on the Alliance is rather annoying. Anyhow, lets just see how it goes. XD
Perhaps.. eeh, one could explain it by saying that the forsaken and death knights just don't have the required intonation in their rotting vocal cords to whisper?
OOC'ly, it's a drag of course. But since it can't be changed there's little else to do but live with it. Or, die with it?
DuskWolf Wrote:I think this is a good idea, lore wise there would be very few if any alliance that speak orcish, far more orcs that speak common. As for cross faction RP I think this adds to it, not taking away from it. We will just have to be more creative with our RP. There will most likely be misunderstandings and what not but that's the way it should be, liven things up. Lastly, there is still /e to talk in

I agree with Dusk and Rensin!

Also, instead of whispering you can always speak in a custom channel, if it´s OOC or as a lot of people have mentioned already use /em /e or /me (they are the same, I know, hehe) if it is IC, this adds not only realism but also a chance to develop our emoting skill!
This really makes things worse rather than better.
Before there was 1 class (death knight) and 1 race (undead) that caused trouble. Now cross faction communication is a living hell.

Before:
Alliance has to switch to Orcish if Undead are around.

Only alliance has to switch, and only if an undead is around.

Now:
Alliance still has to switch, but now to Gutterspeak if Undead are around.
Horde has to switch to Common if Alliance is around, or Gutterspeak if Undead are around.

Horde always has to switch to a different language around alliance, Alliance still has to switch to a different language around Undead.

--

This didn't fix the problem, it just made it more complicated. I mean, wasn't the whole problem that Alliance Players weren't switching to Orcish around Undead? Now you'll also have Orcs not switching to Common around Alliance, or switching to common instead of Gutterspeak when an undead is around...
Does every Alliance member speak Orcish? Does every Horde guy speak Common?

Well I guess that depends on who you ask, but I´m thinking that here we´ll go with the languages provided, no? Undead IC´ly should now Common, which they now do in the form of everyone speaking Gutterspeak. Not many Hordies would now common, some Orcs from the internment camps perhaps, or some of the less arrogant blood elves, but then, gutterspeak works for them as well.

And since you can still speak in /emote without switching languages at all I don´t see a real problem there. Nor if we talk about OOC since you can simply create a custom channel in about a second to have that convo in private with whomever you needed to talk to.

Edit:

Besides, this doesn´t make IC communication harder, just changes how it is carried out, instead of always just speaking to the Human, Orcs might have to emote, trying to get a point across with body language, this isn´t less fun, I would say that it could create some rather interesting situations with the Human missunderstanding the Orcs intentions.
Pages: 1 2