Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: War of the Ancients
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Let's discuss early Night Elf lore here instead of in a profile, alright? =P

Anyway, basic notes:

-Malfurion was the first druid, and he -was- a druid during the war, as he and Illidan had been training with Cenarius for a while, although they were still pretty young.

-Maiev and Tyrande were both priestesses, and Maiev was a little older than Tyrande.

-Illidan gave up druid training to become a sorcerer because he was better than everyone alive without really trying. (Major lore character who's a Mary Sue, not much surprise there)

-They were young, but Night Elves had very long lifespans before they were given immortality anyway, so they would have probably been in their 300s-400s.
Illidan wasn´t an uber mage, if I remember correctly he was pretty angsty due to him not being as good and cool with his magic that he and others had expected, thus why he wasn´t part of the Moon Guard.
That is true, but he was special. He could perform just as powerful magic during the day, whereas the Moon Guard and most other Night Elves were strongest during nightime.

It was believed that his amber eyes were a sign of greatness, and so he was maybe not more poweful than the Moon Guard, but special in that way.
Code:
Malfurion Stormrage was just a young scholar when the Burning Legion first assaulted Azeroth. When it became apparent that the Kaldorei warriors could not defeat the demon invaders on their own, Malfurion embarked on a quest to seek aid for his people. Accompanied by his brother, Illidan, and the priestess whom they both loved, Tyrande, Malfurion searched for the reclusive demi-god, Cenarius. Eventually they found Cenarius, and convinced the demi-god to lend his assistance to the night elves. With the aid of Cenarius and his powerful allies, the Kaldorei were able to finally break the demon hordes and drive them off.

That's from the Shadows and Light sourcebook. But there are some lore inconsistencies between the sourcebooks and the stories I guess.
Aah, yeah, that´s true, Torn.

And Theik, in this case I think we´ll have to trust Knaak´s books... sadly. *deep sigh*
I agree with Nostra, the books are the full story of what happened. Even though Richard A. Knaak is douche.
*cough*andaterriblewrite*cough*

At least we got some backround on them, could be worse, could be like the Gnomes or Draenei.
Either way, my point still stands, they were young adults at best. They weren't exactly 1000+, which was my point in the profile. :P
Yeah I saw your point. I changed it so she was about the same age as Tyrande. Meaning she fought in the war but wasn't uber grown-up.
Nostra Wrote:*cough*andaterriblewrite*cough*

At least we got some backround on them, could be worse, could be like the Gnomes or Draenei.

Haha, true. The biggest Draenei lore source I've found is Rise of the Horde by Christie Golden. And she's a much much better writer than Knaak. I completely agree that he is terrible. XD

*cough* Enough derailment. Anyway, according to Knaak, Illidan was only angsty because Tyrande liked Malfurion more than she liked him, and he was like 10 times more powerful than all the Moon Guard even without formal training. Because in the book, Illidan was training with Malfurion to be a druid, but he failed at that and started using sorcery instead.

Also, Malfurion couldn't have only been a very young scholar because according to just about every possible source, he pretty much won the war single-handed. (Not counting the ones who came from the future)
Age means rather little to the lore characters. After all, Thrall became a warchief at a really young age. And Illidan was Malfurion's twin, so if Malfurion was a full fledged druid of many hundreds of years old, why would Illidan still have been a nothing? That means he actually failed to become a druid for hundreds of years.

I'd sooner trust the DnD books on their ages than the book.
Yeah, they were young. Malfurion was just naturally talented at it like all lore characters at whatever they do. If you can find one major lore character who isn't a Mary Sue and didn't do very important things at a seemingly impossible young age, I will be very surprised.
I don't think Uther did much at a young age. He didn't become important till he got older, that I know of anyway. So hah!
Melchior Wrote:I don't think Uther did much at a young age. He didn't become important till he got older, that I know of anyway. So hah!

I'm.... not sure how that's relevant to the topic, or worth necroing a month+ topic over? o.o;
Oh, sorry... I was just surfing through the forums and the post before mine said to name a lore ch-... nvm. My bad D: