Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Mac Tips?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Like most of the people on these forums, I'm a fan of the server. However, I also like to play on live servers. The normal solution to this is making two different WoW folders with different patches to be able to play either whenever I need to. Unfortunately, this is slightly more complicated on a Mac.

With two WoW folders, the launcher patches both at the same time. I do not know why it does this or how to stop it, but it does. This makes it very difficult to keep two folders with different patch versions at the same time. Also, the Mac version of WoW has no Repair.exe, making downgrading impossible without a full reinstall, which is just a hassle.

I was wondering if any of you out there have ever managed to cope with this problem. Is there a way to keep a folder from updating or would I just have to reinstall every time I want to switch back and forth?

Thanks!
I don't have a Mac, but I do have a question - is there any way to make one folder 'Read-Only' while you're patching the other?
Kretol Wrote:I don't have a Mac, but I do have a question - is there any way to make one folder 'Read-Only' while you're patching the other?

Yeah, that must be what I need to do. If anyone knows the answer to this, that would be great.
With the sheer amount of trouble Macs seem to give while playing WoW (we used to have dozens of mac related crash issues), my suggestion is to trash the piece of crap and get a PC.

However, if that isn't an option, you could try something incredibly time consuming like....winraring the entire unpatched folder. Then patch the folder, and extract the unpatched one again.
Just rename whatever folder you don't want it to patch to something else. And rename all the stuff inside it just to be safe. But make sure you write down what you named everything as because if you forget, then you're screwed.
I'm runnin' a Mac/PC at the same time, and I've had Macs forever.

What I'd do is to 'Get Info' on your WoW folder that you do NOT want to patch. This is either a File -> Get info or possibly a right-click. Haven't used the option in a while, an' I'm PC-side right now (My CoTH WoWcopy is here) or I'd check.

In 'Get Info', expand all the dialogues until you find read/write permissions. If you're logged in as the Administrator, you can modify these. Set it to 'Read Only.'

That should fix it, I'd think. To enable read again, follow the same process and set it to what it was before.

Oh, and yeah. Trash the 'Piece of Crap' and get a virus-ridden, techsupportless, easily broken, poorly designed machine with Vista onnit. That'll help.

STAY STRONG, MAC BRUTHAH. FIGHT DA POWAH.
Proxy Wrote:I'm runnin' a Mac/PC at the same time, and I've had Macs forever.

What I'd do is to 'Get Info' on your WoW folder that you do NOT want to patch. This is either a File -> Get info or possibly a right-click. Haven't used the option in a while, an' I'm PC-side right now (My CoTH WoWcopy is here) or I'd check.

In 'Get Info', expand all the dialogues until you find read/write permissions. If you're logged in as the Administrator, you can modify these. Set it to 'Read Only.'

That should fix it, I'd think. To enable read again, follow the same process and set it to what it was before.

Oh, and yeah. Trash the 'Piece of Crap' and get a virus-ridden, techsupportless, easily broken, poorly designed machine with Vista onnit. That'll help.

STAY STRONG, MAC BRUTHAH. FIGHT DA POWAH.

Thanks! I'll try that now!

I have a PC as well, but like you said, it's not terribly reliable. If this works, I won't have to mess with it so much anymore! Hooray!