Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Greetings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Myself as a Player:
I first began playing World of Warcraft in late 2005, after a brief experience with Star Wars Galaxies (I played two weeks before the Combat Upgrade hit, and many players began to leave en masse). I asked another SWG player (who had previously made the switch to WoW) if there was any good RP to be found playing WoW, and he told me to try Kirin Tor. I had already played and enjoyed another Blizzard game: Diablo II, and so I had few doubts about the quality of the game (not to mention I had already seen the countless positive advertisements and reviews of the game). Thus, I began my WoW experience on the Kirin Tor RP server, but it was apparently just as the RP servers were beginning to decline wholesale. Kirin Tor had plenty of IC interaction at first, but it began to rapidly wane during my play time. My first foray into the World of Warcraft lasted several months, but my character, a human warrior, only managed to make it to the low twenties in level by mid 2006. I was never a fan of 'the grind,' and with the continuing lull in level progression and a near-absence in any real Roleplaying, I quit playing WoW. I tried the trial on two occasions afterward; the first time yielded little progression, but the second, post-WotLK, finally acquainted me with some of the higher-level areas and features of WoW. I visited Stranglethorn Vale, and other places - only to realize that Kirin Tor by then was dominated by the raid, the instance, and the PvP. I made one character on Moonguard, but found little success there, either. I was told that most of the players on Kirin Tor by then were invited by friends, and had no real interest in RPing at all.

Thus, I finally tried to find some glimmer of 'light' for a person who really wants to experience the game, the setting, the lore and the characters. After having some limited experience with private WoW servers recently - and how they are dominated by a PvP mindset - I decided to try to find some kind of 'RP private server.' Luckily, Conquest of the Horde was the first result of the Google search.

To specifically answer the question of 'who I am as a player,' I am a casual player. MMOs in the past did not interest me until I was enchanted by Star Wars Galaxies (before the Combat Upgrade). When I made the switch to WoW, I knew very little about the lore, and I knew even less about how to 'really shine' in an MMO. I have been a writer for the past several years, but most of my writing has been done with others online, through 'cooperative fan fiction', or rather, forum-based roleplaying.

My Country and First Language:
I am from the United States of America, and I speak English.

How I got into Warcraft:
I was initially interested in playing an MMORPG - especially after Star Wars Galaxies. I tried WoW and was fairly interested, but as I said, I am not a big fan of 'grinding' or committing hours on end to completing an instance that I would be lucky to acquire a better sword or armor in. If I could have found a more helpful RP guild or community, I may never have left, but I was not so lucky.

I was drawn to WoW also due to its mass appeal and its incredible scope. After recently getting my hands on Warcraft III, I also know a bit more about the recent history of the world. I have always been interested in high fantasy.

What Made Me Seek this Server over Others:
The RP-centric nature, and what seems to be efficient administration.

The Kinds of Roleplay that I Enjoy:
I enjoy adventurous roleplay, and I will admit that I love action. My lack of efficiency in leveling in WoW stymied this.

My Favorite Race and Class, and Why:
A Human Paladin. A human warrior was my first character in WoW, but I have always been interested in the concept of the holy light, and a character who lives in service to and in use of it. A favorite character of mine, and most likely the first I would create for this server, is the kind of being who would fit the Paladin well - though his 'vocalization' in combat would probably befit a warrior's battle shouts.

My Expectations of this Server:
I expect a proper, immersive and entertaining RP environment, though I understand it may be somewhat strict.

Most Appealing Rule:
I much approve of the rules concerning etiquette and respect among players.
One rule that somewhat concerns me is the policy concerning characters with unapproved profiles who advance beyond level 40, especially considering the server's rates. This is because, especially when Roleplaying in a game, I tend to develop my characters as I play, and I have found character profiles -even writing online - to be somewhat unnecessary when a character can be described, interpreted, and understood better through their use. However, having not played a character on the server yet, I cannot comment further.

Lastly, tell us a story! It can be short, it can be long; but most importantly, we want to see your work in action. Go!:

Darius puffed his pipe again, billowing a cloud of smoke out and into the face of his companion. Matrick blew and waved the cloud away, dispersing the product of his partner's weed into the air. He coughed, hacked, and turned in his seat to escape the effects of the obstruction, inspiring a chuckle from the man across the table. Darius finally laid the pipe down, and when Matrick turned back around the two men found themselves eye-to-eye. Matrick noticed the familiar glimmer in the orbs of his comrade, and he realized what was about to happen. Darius had another tale to tell. Darius noticed how his friend leaned back in his chair, his eyes fixed upon him, and he knew that Matrick realized what he was about to do - the words he was about to utter.

"You know," Darius began, "I fought in the Legions when I was about your age, my friend."

"Really?" Matrick returned, an eyebrow raising in interest, "When and where?"

"Many years ago, during the conflict with Sanaar. It was the time I nearly lost my arm. I've told you, haven't I?"

Of course, Darius had never told the younger man that tale, and the younger man was used to the phrase, 'I've told you, haven't I?' Thus, the moment the last words were finished, Matrick was already shaking his head. "No," he answered, "you never told me about that."

"Nevermind any man in the Empire who would claim to be as great a swordsman as can be; no matter who you have ever seen, or heard, the swordsmen of Sanaar are the best in the world with a blade. They are masters of their craft. Every warrior in a tribe of Sanaar forges his own blade, marks it as he will, fashions it to his own personality and style. They say that a Sanaar sword is a reflection of its maker, that their blades are actually bound to their soul. They use a steel that cleaves through even the thickest, heaviest armor with ease. Their swords literally melt plate armor with a cut. Just one misstep, just one flick of a wrist and one of their swordsmen could cleave the arm off the finest soldier in the Imperium."

"So why don't they invade the empire? Why don't they make their own kingdom and conquer our continent?"

"The only saving grace for us is the fact that the people of Sanaar don't have near as many soldiers as we do; but any one of them could amount to ten men in the imperial legions. In our part of the world, we jerk a farm-boy from the plow, stick a cuirass on him, and maybe some boots and pauldrons- hell, toss a cape on him for good measure, put a shield on his left arm and what passes for a sword in his right, and we march him out to the line and call him a proper soldier. He lasts a few minutes, cuts down maybe a man if he gets lucky, then gets skewered and another soldier or two takes his place. Wash, rinse, repeat. But in Sanaar, I've seen entire cohorts get routed by a few dozen locals. I've seen knights in plate mail ride into an ambush and get ravaged in seconds by a few barely-armored locals with katanas in their hands. These are Imperial Knights, Matrick - the big-timers, the men the Commanders use as their right hands."

"What about the commanders, Darius? Do you think their swordsmen are better than the Emperor's Finest?"

Darius settled back in his chair. The weed had obviously obscured his senses, but he was still more than capable of telling his tale. He had completely deviated from 'the time he lost his arm', but he had now enchanted himself with the people the empire had fought with in past decades. The question about 'the Emperor's Finest' was truly a question about a select few. Matrick meant the Emperor's de facto hands. He meant the likes of Lord Terribel, Lord Grael, and the other most famous Grand Knights of the empire.

"...I can't say."

"Do you think they're better than Terribel?"

Darius' eyes lowered. He knew things about 'the Terrible' that would make Matrick shudder, but they were things best left unsaid. To speak ill of a knight was treason, and in that tavern he knew that there were Imperial soldiers having drinks nearby. His eyes wandered, finding the soldiers he knew of amongst the other patrons in the noisy hall. Matrick's urging brought his attention back around to him.

"I couldn't say..." Darius digressed, "...but I can say this: if ever there were a person so evil that even the swordsmen of Sanaar would fear him, half a world away, Lord Terribel would be that person. That man is evil, Matrick, and mark my words: he will be the death of what little peace and freedom we have around here one day."

"Why do you say that?"

"Because," Darius hoarsely, silently declared, "Terribel is the only man I've ever known to burn an entire city to the ground and kill every last living person in it just because he wanted to see how far he could push his own magic. He's the only... ...monster that I know that would gladly slaughter his own people to get results. And a man with as much power as he has over magic simply can't have it naturally. There is something very wrong with that man, and there's something very wrong with his motives, but I can't dare to try to look into the matter any further, and neither should you."

With that, Darius fell silent. While the tavern noise continued around them, the two men sat still and unamused with eyes toward the table between them. Darius finally managed to will himself up from his seat, and as he left the tavern, Matrick followed. In truth, he had never fought in Sanaar. In truth, he had never seen a sword that could melt armor with a mere touch. He had been told that story by one of his fellows, as he had been a navy man at the time. However, he had most certainly witnessed a single man raise a single hand, and burn an entire city to the ground with magic when he had fought in the Third Legion during the Tyrean War. He had seen his own commander, the great Lord Regnus, openly feud with Terribel over the action, and a month later he was one of the men who were ordered to detain their own leader so that Terribel could stab him through the heart. He hadn't been the same man since.

Is there anything else you would like to add, ask, or otherwise clarify?:

I will admit that as a writer I have had a flair for the epic and far-reaching, and I hope to curb that tendency. I was wondering if this server hosts events concerning the two major factions, or even between guilds. Are major events such as this Scourge attack common, and what are the details concerning player participation and event outcomes?

And I want to say that it is incredibly reassuring and heartening to find a real RP server at last. Thus, I thank whoever established the server, and the people who maintain it to this day.

~Lionheart
Welcome to the server!

We require character profiles so we can tell what kind of characters are being played. It helps us get rid of the ones who will be completely against Warcraft lore.

Events such as the Scourge invasion don't happen often, and most of the events require more player participation than the Scourge invasion does (It needs almost none, because players would never stand up to the Scourge on their own. It's mostly armies fighting to give a sense of conflict in the world.). The vast majority of events are player-run and reach only as far as the characters are able to change the world around them. It all depends on what's being done.