Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Introduction: Maldrin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First and foremost: Tell us about yourself, as a player:

My name is Steve, and I'm a 20 year old college student. I used to play WoW on the RP-PvP server Maelstrom for about 2 years, but quit right before Wrath of the Lich King was released. I always enjoyed Roleplaying more than any other aspect of the game, and the decline of the RP life on Maelstrom was a key factor in my decision to leave. That, and I didn't really have the time for it. I decided a couple weeks ago that if I could find a good RP dedicated private server I would reinstall and get back into it, and a simple search from google led me to what seems to be a well run server, where you don't have to walk around endlessly hoping that someone you meet will be a roleplayer.

What country do you come from? What is your primary language?:

I live in Connecticut, USA. The only language I speak fluently is English.

How did you get into Warcraft?:

I must have been around 14 or 15 when Warcraft II: Battle.net Edition came out. After countless hours of fun playing that game I bought Warcraft III and later its expansion. I remember there being a pamphlet in the Warcraft III box with a picture of I believe a Troll in Stranglethorn Vale, and that was the first time I had ever heard of WoW. After following its development online for what seemed to be ages, picking which class I wanted to be and changing my mind every time Blizzard released new updates, the game was finally released. I always loved the lore of the Warcraft world, and I suppose that is what led me to Roleplaying.

What made you seek our server over others?:

This server seems like it has a good energy, and would be a comfortable environment to Roleplay in. I find that if people are not comfortable, the RP can be diminished greatly. I can't remember how many times on Maelstrom I would have to "ignore" someone jumping up and down on a table in front of me with a name like "bestrouge," while trying to capture a mood with other roleplayers. I guess this server seems like it has people with a sense of decency. Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting down the people on Maelstrom, I found some truly great roleplayers there and enjoyed it incredibly, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

What kinds of roleplay do you enjoy?:

I love tavern RP, and probably am most experienced in that type. Sitting around telling stories, meeting new people and planning adventures. It all, at least for me, started in taverns. I do love adventurous roleplay though, because physical actions are much more present there, and I believe that the way your character moves and acts is just as important as how he/she talks. Plus, I love the challenge of maneuvering a character around while typing and trying to make it all flow well. And who doesn't love a good quest?

What is your favorite race/class? Why?:

Nine times out of ten I will pick a Dwarf to roleplay. I simply love the race, the history, the attitudes, all of it. That being said I love Warriors and Rogues. My main character for years was my Dwarf Warrior, until I quit that is. I find the delicate balance between a Warriors gruff outer appearance and his emotions to be quite interesting, and love trying to portray it.

I also love rogues, especially in an RP setting. The class in itself is very fun to play, RP aside, but I love using Rogues IC because of the amount of discretion you have to use to RP them properly, in my opinion. Personally I was never a fan of the Rogue who would instantly stealth in the middle of a room and expect that no other character could see them, but admired the ones who truly took the time to slip into the shadows, to portray the very elusive side of the class. I have no problem with people who interpret "Stealth" differently than I do, because really any skill in the game can be interpreted several ways, but that's just my take on it.

What are your expectations of this server?:

I simply expect to meet some good people and participate in some fun and rewarding RP.

Out of all of our rules and regulations listed on our server, which appeals to you the most?:

I love the part about humility, and also how people should be aware of NPC's while they are sometimes easy to overlook, but honestly my favorite rule is the one of using decent English. I was immediately saddened anytime a RPer would come up to me and attempt to talk using abbreviations and no punctuation. I felt disappointed knowing that they could do so much better by simply using the Shift or Period keys. I'm not saying I'm the best at English. I misspell words like anyone else, and I mess up typing and forget things sometimes. But surely it must look better than, "hey sup."

Lastly, tell us a story! It can be short, it can be long; but most importantly, we want to see your work in action. Go!:

This is a "chapter" from an unfinished and ongoing storyline I have been writing with a friend of mine. I don't claim to be a good writer by any stretch of the imagination, but I do enjoy it.

Murthal collapsed into a hard wooden chair facing one of his several weapon racks. His niece had been the last person he'd expected to see at the door. Even after somehow managing a conversation with her he was still in shock. With everything he had seen in his life, Daira and her daughter had never ceased to amaze him. As much of a gruff, stubborn, battle-worn warrior as he was, the two had always found a way to soften him. He admired it as much as he hated it; for a warrior's biggest weakness is his emotions.

Which was why he mustn't think about them. There were more important things to attend to at the moment, and he knew Methrine and Daira were safe, while Dragnis may not be. Of course, Dragnis was never really safe, and at the same time always found a way to get out of trouble. It was time to chalk up another reunion for this old Dwarf, only this time Dragnis would be the one in shock.

He removed a knife quickly from his boot and turned his chair around to face the table, grabbing a sharpening tool that was thrown haphazardly when he had heard the knock on the door. Scraping it across the silver blade his mind drifted back to the simpler times of his life, before he had met the crew. It had been just he and Dragnis getting by with barely more than enough to buy themselves a few mugs of ale to warm them on a chilly night. They had left the harsh weathers of Dun Morogh for a more suitable climate, the lands known as Loch Modan.

. . .

"Get up yeh two, weh got someone wants te rent te room fer a few days. Means yer outta 'ere fer a while."

The innkeeper's voice sounded muffled as Murthal squinted, adjusting to the daylight. While lazily forcing himself upright he realized what she was saying. There was not much he could do, at some point the room he and Dragnis had been sleeping in would be booked by a paying customer. He was just glad the innkeeper had let them stay as long as she did.

"Can weh come back after 'e leaves?" He heard his groggy friend mumble as he reached for his gun, using it to prop himself up.

"If no-one else is willin' te pay fer it then ah dun't care, jus' come back in a few days an' ah'll let ye know. I talked wit a friend of mine, told 'er 'ow yeh been doin' favors for meh so ye could stay 'ere. Says she's got some room for a few days an she'll let ye bunk up there if'n ye do the same fer 'er. Right 'ere in te Loch too."

Murthal and Dragnis looked at each other quickly, nodding as they gathered the rest of their belongings. "We'll do it" they said together.

Heading up the stairs they listened to the innkeeper give them directions. There was a hunting lodge tucked in the south corner of the eastern mountain range. Murthal watched Dragnis eye a barrel of ale as they neared the door, rolling his eyes. "Ye think they got beer in te mountains? We could always bring 'em some if they need us to." His hunter friend suggested. Laughing, the innkeeper shooed them out the door, "Yeh think ah'm goin' te entrust a barrel of me fine ale te you two? It'd be gone befer ye reach te path!"

Laughing the two waved goodbye and started their trek up the road. "Ah don't think we'd finish it befer we got on te path, probably woulda taken us a bit longer. Maybe te Loch itself" Dragnis teased.

"Well barrels of ale are rather heavy, so we'd probably 'ave te take a break once in a while te put it down" Murthal jokingly reasoned.

"Oh aye but te more ye drink te lighter it gets!"
"Well perhaps we should just drink te whole thin' then carry the empty barrel up te te lodge!" The duo burst out into laughter as they steered off the path, looking far into the mountain range on the other side of the lake.

The trek was easier than they thought, only challenging when navigating the easiest route through the smaller mountains. The hunter's lodge was surprisingly of Elvish architecture, something they had not expected in the Dwarven lands. Nonetheless, they introduced themselves and Murthal leaned over the railing looking out over the beautifully setting sun as Dragnis ran around meeting all the gunmakers and leatherworkers he could see. Murthal chuckled as he watched his hunter friend look around with such enthusiasm, this outpost surely was his kind of place.

Murthal had enjoyed hunting as much as the next Dwarf, but was a Warrior at heart, and didn't enjoy the sport of it like his friend did. Dragnis would hunt anything if it gave him a good challenge, but Murthal used it mainly as a means to survive, to put a roof over his head. It seemed nothing would change here, as an overconfident young Human presented him with his first task. The duo surely would be earning their stay it seemed, and Murthal pulled Dragnis away from an ever so intriguing conversation about ammunition with a rather attractive looking elf. She laughed as Dragnis turned back trying to finish his conversation while being pulled away by his friend. "Ok ah'll be back in a bit ah'll see yeh then." he managed before lightly slapping Murthal on the back of the head. "Come on now ah was gettin' somewhere with tha' one."

"Yeh can get farther later, we got te earn our stay 'ere before sundown 'er yeh wun't be talkin' te te lass again. That Daryl fella said we need te kill a few of te overpopulated species aroun' 'ere then we can go back. 'e said bears, boars, an some kind of goofy lookin' bird. Which one yeh want?"

"Bears." Dragnis replied simply as he removed his rifle from its holster on his back. "'ow many?"

"I dunno 'e said like 5 or 6. Jus' get a paw 'er somethin' te show yeh killed 'em. I'm goin' te get te boars. Ah think both of them are down in te West 'ere. Afterwards we can head south and get te birds quick."

Murthal reached down to fix the pouch on his hip, making sure it would hold the trophies they were bringing back. A deafening boom pierced through his ears, sending him flying back with his hands on his head. Looking quickly to the right he saw Dragnis, his smoking gun resting on his shoulder and a grin upon his face. "Got one."

"Woul' yeh not do it next te meh ear next time? Ah would like te keep meh 'earin' fer a while."

"Yer jus' angry cause ah'm winnin'." Dragnis smiled as he loaded his gun with another round.

"Oh really? We'll see about tha'." Murthal challenged, taking his axes from his belt. "Ah'll be back in a minute. Ah smell victory over behind this ledge." While running down the hill he heard another gunshot and an excited yell. "Thas two! Yer really fallin' behind 'ere Murthal!"

"Ye just remember te take a trophy 'er it didn't coun'!"

The boars went down with ease, and Murthal returned to the spot he and Dragnis had split at. He found his friend sitting down drinking out of a flask, a huge smile upon his face as he watched his Warrior friend slowly ascend the hill. "Fer a minute there ah though' one of te boars got yeh." He said, wiping his mouth.

"Yer real funny, les go get te birds." Murthal panted as he reached the top.

"Already got 'em. Yer righ' they do look kinda funny. Real easy te kill though, 'ell tey practically lined up fer me. If ye'd a let me get more ammo back from that fine Elf ah wouldn't a had te get me axe all bloody, but nooo we 'ad te leave righ' then."

"Ye already got 'em? 'ow...? Ah didn't take tha lon' did ah?" Murthal scratched his head as he looked in his pouch, removing one of the boar tusks to inspect it.

"Nah yeh didn't but a foun' a bunch of te stupid thin's over behind te bears. The thin's didn't even fly away tey just kinda stood there. Not much of a bird if yeh ask meh."

Nope I am definitely not a hunter. Murthal thought as he helped his friend to his feet.

Murthal brought the proof back to the Human while Dragnis scoured the place three times over for a barrel of ale, with no success, returning back to Murthal saying "I knew we shoulda just taken a barrel up 'ere. It wasn't tha' steep we coulda done it. Now what am ah supposed te do all nigh'?" He leaned over the railing next to his friend, looking at the large lake in the West.

"Where'd yer Elven frien' go? We don't want yeh runnin' ou' of ammo tomorrow. Who knows what we're goin te 'ave te kill now."

"Thas true, we wouldn't want tha." Dragnis said with a grin. "Ah'll go 'ave a looksee, maybe she's still awake. If she comes by let 'er know ah'm lookin' fer 'er." He patted Murthal on the back and disappeared into a back room.

Taking the opportunity to talk with the head huntress, Murthal put his hands on the hilts of his axes and walked up the moonlit terrace.
"Is very nice of yeh te let me and me friend spend a few nights 'ere miss. We appreciate it an' if weh can do anythin' te 'elp don't 'esitate te ask. We're used te workin' fer our shelter. We killed what Daryl told us te earlier, gave 'im proof of each of te kills too. Weh--"

"Daryl told you to kill something?" She quickly turned around and asked. The curiosity in her voice caused Murthal's heart to skip a beat. He hoped he hadn't angered his host already. Failure for him often meant sleeping outside, of course tonight it wouldn't be bad, the stars and moon shone bright and it was fairly warm out.

"...Aye 'e 'ad us kill some of te overpopulated species aroun' 'ere. We didn't mind, it wasn't hard. Were we not supposed te do tha'?"

"I never gave him that order, was going to let you boys settle in tonight without a fuss." She turned away to hide the anger in her pale eyes. "That Daryl, he's a nice boy and a good hunter but he's got too much of an ego for his own good, and often forgets what it means to be a hunter. We could have used those hides for our leatherworkers, and now the corpses are simply rotting outside."

"Ah apologize miss, we'll go skin te corpses firs' thin' tomorrow if ye'd like." Murthal felt bad for helping Daryl, and looked around to make sure he wasn't in sight.

"No he will go skin each of them himself. He'll learn, it just takes time..." She turned back and faced Murthal, the kindness returning to her face. "If the animals were no challenge for you however, I think I may be able to use you two for something much more difficult...Do you think you are up to it?"

"Hah apparently yeh don't know me an' Drag. What did yeh 'ave in mind?" Murthal chuckled.

"There's an abnormally large, and surprisingly hostile bear here in Loch Modan that we have been trying to get rid of for months. Even our talented Daryl couldn't take care of him, came back with nothing more than a scratch over his eye. If you two could kill the bear, you wouldn't even need to skin it, just bring back its oversized head, I think you would earn your stay here as long as you want, and you'd even teach Daryl a lesson."

Murthal leaned back on the rail and looked out into the countryside, the mountains glistening in the moonlight. "We'll 'ead ou' in te mornin'."

. . .

Murthal threw the sharpener back onto the table and eyed his razor sharp dagger, setting it down gently. He walked over to his bed and layed down with a grunt. He would need all the rest he could get. It wasn't getting into the Stockades that posed a problem, it was getting Dragnis out.

Is there anything else you would like to add, ask, or otherwise clarify?:

Nope.
Welcome to the server!