Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Opening Revantusk (Forest) Trolls to Players
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well, since the point I came here to make did not need to be made, I decided I'd bring up this old one, the Forest Trolls and their playability. No, I'm not saying they should be open to all players but I'm saying that Forest Trolls of the Revantusk Tribe to Grunts and higher, and to Peons with a special profile. Why? Besides the fact that Forest Trolls are my favorite sub species of my favorite race, they once again have great ties with the Horde, and like in the WoW RPG, should be playable in this server. The Revantusks, being in a state of mutual assistance with the Horde would make great Horde characters with interesting ways of role playing, much akin to how the Wildhammer Dwarves areplayed in the Alliance.

No need to ask how this would be done, sicne I have 2 ways of going through with this, the first and by far the easiest would be to just make a Troll character with Green skin, simple, and since the Revantusk, being pyhsicaly weaker than the other tribes and often found using their mind more than their body they would work perfectly with the scrawny Darkspear model. The other way being much more complicated and troublesome would be to change a character's player model to that of a Forest Troll. Since the database is, to what I've been told, not in a good state, this option is much less practical and more time consuming to the GMs.
They probably won't do this any time soon, just because of the fact that the true Forest Troll model is different. . . And if they did open it up, saying IF, it would be probably open to grunts and higher with them having to make a special profile and proficiency in their lore. /shrug, But who knows.
The idea would to have them in a similar way that the Alliance has Wildhammer Dwarves, just the player race witha certain critera of looks, and a way to open up interesting RP ideas, especialy confrontations with Blood Elves that probably wouldn't end too well.
Why not play a normal Troll who doesn't like Elves? By the way, they don't like Elves.
I guess it would be hard to do, and it would take experience in roleplaying to be sucessfull in it. /shrug just my two copppers. And by the way,"Elves stink funny"-Grom the Paunch.
To be honest, I don't even know why people are obsessed with playing Forest Trolls. The only difference between them and the Darkspears is that they live somewhere else, they're not as intelligent and they're a lot stronger. I really just see wanting to play a Forest Troll a reason to be 'the special one', when really, as a RPer you'd make a much bigger impression if you thought of something original for an already playable race. And besides, weren't Revantusks recently shown how they actually are, which are indeed the model we see in Zul'Aman?

And above all, even if they are alligned with the Horde, I can't see the Revantusks just randomly wandering away from their tribe and chilling in Ratchet or Booty Bay getting drunk and falling into the water.

Sorry if I came off offensive, but it just really irks me this sort of stuff happens. Make some originiality! Don't take the easy way out!

/end rant

EDIT: I'll also note that generally, for a simpler term, Trolls are actually quite antisocial apart from with the Orcs. They don't tend to trust people so easily and like the Night Elves, they too are xenophobic. They really just squabble amongst themselves.

EDIT2: Bah, keep forgetting to put stuff in. But yeah, as for the being more intelligent and less powerful, I'm pretty sure you're thinking of the Darkspears. They're generally the runts of the Troll race. Unless I've missed something with the Revantusks.

WoWWiki Wrote:Even so, they remembered the recklessness and corruption of the Old Horde. Thus, the Revantusks declined to rejoin the Horde, but they did agree to a pact of friendship and mutual assistance
No offence meant Hawk, but you have missed something about them. Without going into details (I could go on for hours with Troll lore, of which I'm quite obsessed), the Revantusks are weaker than your average Amani tribe. They had alwase been one of the smaller and weaker tribes with few warriors and not very strong ones at that, instead, as WoWWiki states, they tend to negotiate more than the other tribes, wich no doubt gave them a useful place in what could have been Zul'Jin's new Amani empire. What dose that mean for your average player? That means they're about on par with the Darkspear with brain and physical power, why Blizard chose the new model for them was probably to make them look differant than the payer Trolls, so in otherwords, you could jsut give a Darkspear a deep green skin tone and call him a Revantusk.

And why would we want one over the standard Troll race? I know there's a few people who would play one just to stick out, but personaly I would like playing one more than a Darkspear because of their much more interesting lore (in my opinion at least) and their loose yet fond relation with the Orcs, one akin to that of the Darkspear. The Revantusks felt so loyal to the Orcs after the second war that they where targeted by the other tribes and where called weak, among other things.

So besides the lore, opening more possibilities to RP, a fresh change from the standard races and a long running love for the race (I've dug into their lore since WarCraft 2) I have no idea why anyone would want to play the race. As I said, it would be something like Wildhammer Dwarves in the Alliance, playable yet not common outside their home. It could also give some welcome Horde RPing on the Eastern Kingdoms.
I still disagree with it, but it's not down to me, so screw it.
I think that KillerFrog does have a point here.

The Alliance gets to RP Wildhammer Dwarves.
The Horde is only allowed to RP Darkspear Trolls (Correct me if I am wrong.)

Hawk Wrote:To be honest, I don't even know why people are obsessed with playing Forest Trolls. The only difference between them and the Darkspears is that they live somewhere else

To me, Hawk, the fact that they're from different places seems to be great RP potential. Revantusks, being from the Hinterlands, have all the more interesting possibilities to create great RP in the Hinterlands, whereas the typical Darkspear don't have as much of a relationship with the land. Such things could liven up a zone that is lore-ridden but absolutely empty.

If we're going to allow Wildhammer Dwarves, I don't understand the reason why Revantusks aren't going to be allowed.

All in all I would like to see this happen ONLY in a Special Profile likely coupled with Gruntship.
But the Wildhammers don't look different. Take a look at Revantusk when you're around, and you'll notice that all the men are bulky as hell.
Something happened after the third war involving the Revantusks and the Horde? In WCIII, after the second war and just before the third war,
Thrall can be quoted to say "Forest Trolls... I can't believe they were ever a part of the Horde.", which makes it seem as if they have lost their alliance and become hostile for whatever reason. And not long after saying that, he attacked a forest troll encampment. This may have been a game mechanic, however. I'm not really sure. T'was the tutorial.

My only problem with this if it isn't proven wrong is that I see the Revantusk tribe being unallied to either Horde or Alliance.
I've sunken out of knowledge of some of the lore after the third war, so excuse me if I'm blatantly wrong.

My two cents, coppers, euros, bottle caps, whatever.
I personally don't care whichever way the verdict goes but....

As far as physique goes, you can role-play the appearance of your character. Not all Orcs or Humans are as bulky as the male model. People will make it a point on what their character looks like. What you see in game only goes so far anyway.

As for the players themselves, If they are willing to go through all this to play as a Forest Troll, I'd figure they'd do it the right way. Would playing a Forest Troll really bust anybody's balls if it's done right?
I suppose I wouldn't have a problem with it, but it's setting a bad precedent. Wildhammer Dwarves become Forest Trolls become High Elves become Eredar. No matter what races we allow, people will want more from us because "X got Y race!!! D:"

If Kretol decides Forest Trolls are okay, then go ahead and make one. I enjoy the prospect of new races, but people barely play the good races we already have, and adding more exceptions just makes the normal races/classes go unplayed more.
I agree. Maybe as an option for veteran players. >:+)

"Z"
I can definitely see the danger in the problems and patterns you spoke of Kaghuros.

I would hope that by keeping these sorts of things available only to Grunts, (and the more prestigious and powerful races to the Hero rank), that we can avoid those problems while still appealing to the imagination of those that want to add to the experience of the server in this way.

Anyways - I still have no plans on making a Troll >:)

-Hinbane
Pages: 1 2