Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: As the World (of Warcraft) Turns...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
...what months (if any) do they go by?

Basically my question is, do the months we use IRL (January, February, etc, etc.) exist ICly in the WoW Universe? Could I be asked the date by someone and be allowed to respond with something like, "July twenty-third"?

Even if I could, I doubt that'd be allowed for any race other than the humans, dwarves, and gnomes, and even that is a stretch considering Common isn't supposed to be comparable to any RL language. The rest would likely have different names, if not different systems altogether, with names as beautiful as their native languages.

Anyway, I just thought I'd ask in case that situation ever presented itself. I suppose, being the incredibly creative bunch that we are, we could always make our own calendar systems for each race, complete with their own names for months (if any), and add it to server lore!
We can make the 4th of July Shamanism Day for the Orcs! 8D Or Hellscream Day!

*cough* But chances are there probably would be different months, just Blizz didn't bother with them. I suppose we could make new months. *shrugs*
I don't know why I'm assuming they would have had the same calendar system as the older native american civilizations had. Granted it'd be slightly different for the Alliance than Horde since most of the Horde have races that still are tribal and would relate the change of the seasons to their native gods or however they used to do it. And for the Alliance I'm sure Gnomes and/or Night Elves would have some sort of way to tell the month. But this is just me. :D
This edges into the vast and abstract area of "Well, since no one mentions it..."

Basically, people usually just make these things up anyway. I've always believed that a lot of things Blizzard fails to mention can be made up by the players and no one will really mind. If you want to refer to months/days/years in Thalassian, feel free to. Otherwise, it's food for thought and people can discuss if they want to do something about this kind of thing on their own.
I tend to like to believe they don't have months, just go by generalizations of seasons and such. i.e. "I should have this bunker built by late Spring, that I should." As opposed to "This bunker should be built by May the thirtieth or so." I just feel that most common people would not particularly care about specific months as it doesn't affect them.
The game has a set up calender system that uses our months and such, but I know for a fact that WoW's only mention of any sort of time structure is years. All events that have happened in WoW lore go by year, no specific date or anything like that.

From this, it could probably be summized that days go from 1-365, by the number of the year.

Yeah, this would be a b***h to keep in order IC, buuut, again, that's why WoW lore doesn't have specific dates, just years.
I concur with the talking monkey.
I actually like Gnomad's method the best... if we could actually tell one season from another in-game. That would be impossible to track for IC things, so the talking monkey's way is best I guess.

Stomwind is always either rainy or sunny or night-timey... T_T
Not really impossible to track. I just go by the season it is in real life.