Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Illena's Introduction
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First and foremost: Tell us about yourself, as a player:

I'm a very laid-back person. I tend to be sort of a loner, and am definitely the shy type until I get to know you. I have a subtle sense of humor and a very chill attitude, but a low tolerance for nonsense and disrespect. I am always as friendly and helpful as possible, however, so feel free to drop me a line! :)

What country do you come from? What is your primary language?:

I'm from the American South (not South America, mind you :)), and speak English primarily.

How did you get into Warcraft?:

RPGs have always been an important part of my life. From low grade browser games like AdventureQuest and RuneScape to my stepfather's Dungeons & Dragons books and Ultima Online subscription, role playing games are by far my favorite genre. When the Ultima subscription ran out, I longed for another experience that as was massive, immersive, and just plain fun. I found that in the World of Warcraft a little over a year ago, and haven't looked back. :)

What made you seek our server over others?:

It was recommended to me by a good friend of mine, whom you may know as HownDoog. This community is amazing though, from what I've seen, and I'm looking forward to being a part of it.

What kinds of roleplay do you enjoy?:

I'd say that the types I most enjoy are fighting RP and RP in pairs. Relaxing tavern roleplay is a close.. third, though, and really anywhere I'm free to have fun in a low-pressure environment appeals to me.

What is your favorite race/class? Why?:

My favorite race has got to be that of the dwarf. I love their size and "work hard, play hard" attitude. Gimli was always my favorite character in the Lord of the Rings series, and having the ability to play as one of his class was one of the things that drew me to WarCraft in the first place. I love the architecture of the dwarven city of IronForge as well.
My favorite class is by far the paladin. I've played as a "squishy" and absolutely hated it, so the armor is a definite plus. The main reason, however, is that I love being known as a warrior of the light; able to protect and, in some cases, save other players. Ideas about chivalry and honor have always been important to me, so I feel most comfortable in the shoes of what I feel is WarCraft's equivalent of a knight.
Hunters are a close second, though, because their bond with pets appeals to me.

What are your expectations of this server?:

I expect the rules to be enforced, the server to be as bug-free as is possible (given some slack, of course, but I have played on sloppily-run servers and I felt it really ruined the experience), and the RP experience to give back what I put into it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Out of all of our rules and regulations listed on our server, which appeals to you the most?:

That'd be a tie between respect and tolerance, because I believe they go hand in hand. To me, there are no traits more important than open-mindedness, and the fact that it is encouraged so heavily here makes me genuinely excited about roleplaying on this server.
And I'm not sure if this counts as a rule per se, but I think the /barrenschat channel function is a GREAT idea. Chuck Norris and [Anal] jokes can be funny in small doses, but others' spamming of them in trade chat was one of the reasons I left retail. Being able to opt out of the channel while keeping the function of /trade is just awesome, really. :)

Lastly, tell us a story! It can be short, it can be long; but most importantly, we want to see your work in action. Go!:

Barid woke up cold, and hungry. He had been climbing this blasted mountain since the break of dawn yesterday, and only stopped in an exhausted heap when the last of the light faded from over the awe-inspiring hills of Dun Morogh. He ate a meager breakfast of Dwarven Mild and said a short prayer before resuming his ascent. He'd begun to doubt he was going the right way before the sun fell last night, but with it high in the sky now he knew he'd make it today. Barid could even see a faint outline of the flag, waving proudly in the distance. "Right foot, left foot" became his mantra as he trudged up the mountain farther and farther.
The air grew thin and cold, and once he even had to pause to shake the frost from his 'stache, but he walked on still. Finally, as the sun began to set and project hues of orange, pink and blue against the Dun Morogh sky, Barid finished his journey. The ground at the top of the world was littered in a few modest items.. a shovel, a bucket, a canteen, and a single flag, which Barid felt marked his accomplishment as well as those of the brave men before. The sky, though, more than made up for the commonplace nature of what was on the ground. Barid looked out at the majestic skyline and was filled with a thousand emotions, ranging from pride to awe to a bit of nausea, and back again. The old monk was right, he had never felt closer to the gods than he did at that moment. He felt almost as if he could reach up and touch them.
Barid sighed, sat down, and began to pray.
After a long time, Barid stood. He took one last whiff of the air at the top of the mountain, and smiled. Maybe he really could reach the gods? It seemed that he wasn't at the mountain's absolute peak, and inched forward, his gloved hand outstretched. Barid knew he should be cold, but felt nothing except the warm glow of the Light. He inched closer and closer to the edge, sure that the gods would pad his step. At once, he felt weightless. "Transcendence at last," he thought. "Surely this is what the old man felt!"
His eyes closed and his mind wide open, Barid fell to his death at the bottom of the mountain. His mountain. He felt nothing, and when the search party found his corpse splattered on the rocks, the old man cast his body a knowing smile.
"That's 200 gold he isn't getting back," he laughed.

Is there anything else you would like to add, ask, or otherwise clarify?:
(This can be anything. Questions/Comments are always welcome.)

I was wondering what the difference between death IC and OOC death is..? Basically does the two lives I'm given include death by bears, or just other characters?
Beyond that though, everything looks great! I look forward to meeting everyone, and thanks for reading my introduction. :)

EDIT:
In case anyone is interested, my story was based very loosely on a true story.
Here's a pretty awesome picture I used for reference as I was writing it:
[Image: WoWScrnShot_012009_180606.jpg]
Death only counts if it happened through RP ;) Wait for a grunt to post your approval.
Meh, you don't have to wait for a grunt. There's no approval anymore.

Welcome to CotH, though!
Say that in purple and I'll give you a muffin, Maul.
I want to WELCOME YOU TO THE SERVER too!
Thanks for the answer, approval, and welcome! :D
I look forward to seeing you all again soon. :)
CoochieBear!!!!!!

I am so glad to see you on here!!
I look forward to having more crazy shenanigans with you!!!
Holy potatoes, I remember that day. =D