Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Hello Everyone! An Introduction by Shikadude
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hmm, I am a bit nervous, I must say. I have been told time and time again not to worry, that you guys are lenient, and that I am easily a good enough writer to be accepted. Well, you never know until you try, do you? I like to write things like this in a conversational tone, as it helps me get my thoughts out. When I know I'm talking to a person, things come much more naturally.

First and foremost: Tell us about yourself, as a player:
Well, I am completely new to role playing, in the sense that I've never done it. But, I do know the mechanics of it, and am very good at quickly making up a story. In general I think I would easily fit in with the whole playing as an almost real person thing. I work well with others, if I know my role in the scheme of things. That's not to say I can't quickly join in and learn my role. I know the Warcraft lore enough to get by, which personally I think is better for me, as I will be less likely to use my knowledge to give myself an unfair advantage. This doesn't mean that I would if I had the knowledge, just that it is a precaution, just in case. I think I'm really just in it to have fun, interact with like-minded people, and expand my story telling abilities.

What country do you come from? What is your primary language?:
I come from the U.S. of A. My primary language is English.

How did you get into Warcraft?:
I was first convinced by my friends to buy Warcraft III. I was, and still am, into Real-time Strategies, and they told me it was really good. I got hooked immediatly. The Campaign wasn't the most exciting thing in the world, but the online play was fantastic. Warcraft III came with the full World of Warcraft install, as well as a fourteen day free trial. One of my friends had an account he wasn't using, and he let me borrow it. He had bought Burning Crusade, so I installed that for free as well. Eventually, one of my closest friends decided to make a private server, so he gave me Wrath of the Lich King to install. For some reason unbeknownst to anyone, the friend's account got banned, so all I have now are private servers. That's my Warcraft story in a nutshell, sort of.

What made you seek our server over others?:
Well, my friend decided that he wasn't up to the task of running his own private server, so he directed all of the members of his site here. I have been told great things about this server.

What kinds of roleplay do you enjoy?:
I think I prefer adventure to more calm roleplaying, but as I haven't ever given it a go I can't say for sure. What I can say is that I would probably do well in all types, as I am very diverse in my interests. If I had to choose one type of roleplaying, however, I would most likely choose more of an exciting adventurous style, one where I travel a lot and get into all kinds of situations. I would prefer a partner rather than a large group, because it allows for a more intimate, if you will, character developement.

What is your favorite race/class? Why?:
My favorite race would have to be the Tauren, and my favorite class the Druid. Something about a huge brute who's life is rooted in solid traditions and beliefs, and who is peaceful at heart appeals to me. The Druid class absolutely fascinates me. A people who are so in love with nature, they become the creatures that are a part of it. I don't think any class, not even the shaman, can really reach that level of intimacy.

What are your expectations of this server?:
I have high hopes from this server. I have heard good things about it, and I look forward to becoming a part of a group of people that seem genuinely interested in immersing themselves in another reality. This is exciting. I hope to contribute a lot, and I especially hope to evolve other people's stories into something that I can say I was a part of.

Out of all of our rules and regulations listed on our server, which appeals to you the most?:
This is the part I have looked forward to. At first glance, I would say the rule of respect appeals to me most, but as I look closer I realize that it is really one of those intrinsic parts of us that everyone should follow, regardless of if there is a rule. So, upon close inspection, I'd have to say the rule that appeals to me most is the keyboard skills rule. I am so tired of people not even trying when they type, not using full words, proper grammer, or even correct punctuation and capitalization. Finally, a place where I can read without getting a headache!

Lastly, tell us a story! It can be short, it can be long; but most importantly, we want to see your work in action. Go!:
Here, I'm going to post two stories. The first one I wrote a while back, and shows one of my weirder styles. I think it demands posting here, just so you can see what to expect, sometimes:

I am standing in the middle of a street, facing a building. I turn to my left to face a blank void. Not black, not white, but blank. Indescribable. I turn around and see the woman walking down the street. I start to run, chasing after her. She seems to get closer, but as she gets closer, I fall farther away. I trip, and land face down. As I sit up the woman kisses me, then fades away. I begin to weep openly. The fetal position sounds comforting right now. I curl up, still weeping, as the colorless void envelopes me. I am floating in nothingness…

This second one I am writing right now, completely on the spot. It is a different tone, I think, than my previous story:

Johan sat at his desk, typing away, watching the clock every so often. The day couldn't end sooner. Today was his day. Every second seemed to take a minute, as if to say, "why hope for anything? The chances are next to nothing for you to be chosen." Fourty-three year old Johan had been waiting his whole life to leave the planet, and his chance had finally arrived. The previous month there had been an announcement that five people were going to be chosen to leave their wretched home and live on the most in demand planet in the galaxy: Earth. All the entrants had to do was answer a few questions, and write an essay as to why they deserve to leave. The questions were simply, and for the first time in his life Johan was confident that he had won. Half an hour before his day ended, Johan's boss walked up behind him and said, "Listen Johan. I know how long you've been waiting for an opportunity to leave us, and I sincerely think you may have a chance. Go ahead and leave work early today. Hey, if you win you won't be coming back anyway, right?"
"Thank you so much, sir" Johan replied to his boss, whom he had always thought didn't like him. He put on his gas mask, went home, packed a bag, and waited. And waited. It was almost as bad as at the office. Finally, the news came on, and they anounced the winners, "They five lucky winners to leave this planet are: Ambrin Naf, Jatdon Eart, Johan Frandon, Fredan Catin, and Helt Gron." Johan got up from the floor, realizing that he had fainted. "Oh my God, I won! I'm finally leaving this God foresaken planet!" He whooped into the open air, grabbed his gas mask and bag, and left his apartment for the last time. The shuttle was ready for him when he got to the station. Three other men were already there, and they all entered together. After strapping themselves in, the pilot asked them, "Are you men ready for the single most important event of your lives?" They all answered yes, but Johan stopped the pilot from closing the doors, as he had seen the last man running towards the station. They let him in, strapped him down, and were finally ready to take off. The countdown, counted down, the shuttle launched, and all was well. As they breached the atmosphere, however, the outer layers of the ship began to tear off. The engineers had forgotten to account for the increase of pollutants in the air, and the ship was feeling the effects. When they finally reached outer space, the shuttle ripped entirely in half, and the passengers were sucked into the abbyss. As Johan's body was sucked into space, his last thought was, "Hey, clean air!"

Is there anything else you would like to add, ask, or otherwise clarify?:
I tried to put it in a conversational tone, but it ended up sounding more like a job interview, which I guess it kind of was. Oh, well, I hope I got my point across, since that is the most important thing.
Welcome to the server then!

Quote:he directed all of the members of his site here.

Oh shi-!