Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Guide to RPing Races
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First off, this isn't really a GM request, more so a request of players that may be "advanced" in a certain race.

I've seen many characters played poorly sometimes, compared to the majority of their own race. Even I caught myself doing this from time to time. When I do though, I usualy take time to read up on the posted guides to the races..... which turn out to be just the history repeated once more with views towards the other races added in at the end.

What I'm requesting is, for people who understand a certain race to a great point, please consider posting a guide to the "Average" person for the given race. Overall, a Guide to RPing the race, rather than a Guide to The History of the race. LOL
Here are a few that have already been written, from the articles and guides section in case one of these races was one you were wondering about:

Orcs:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=8827

Forsaken:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=6065

Night Elves:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=5479

Blood Elves:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=8377

Trolls:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=8845

If you don't like those, there is also a lot of info available at WoWWiki. Perhaps you could research yourself and write a guide.
Well you can't really make a guide to a race that includes much other than the race's history, culture, and favored attributes or skills. Most of how you play a character is up to the individual character's personality and the player figuring out how the racial history, culture, and favored attributes and skills affect that personality.
I appreciate the time players put into these, but what I want to know is, "How to RP A Character Of A Certain Race", inveitably a guide to the "Normal" character of any race. The guides given a good read if you're beginning on the given race, and want to know about their history and such, but say little about people from that race.

It's a hard concept to make into guides, but to any player that can: I'll certainly give it a good read.
There's no real guide to roleplaying a "normal" individual of a race, just as much as there is no guide to being a "normal" person. Normal is relative. We can give generalizations on customs and social norms that we know of, but in reality it is really down to the player to do research and interpret their character in a way that they feel is best.
It's a more odd request, one which I have no idea how to word right now that I noticed it. LOL
The hard part is, that really, you can only give guidelines to peoples characters. Outright telling them what to play takes away from their creativity...

Not to mention, there should always be unique aspects in every character... even the standard ones.
A sort of "templet" to work off of is nice though, so you can be sure your character isn't too far away from the ordinary, so to speak.

Of course, this does limit characters, which is why it was a suggestion mostly. I just like to get a feel to how people of a certain race -act- normaly.