Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Aranath's Introduction!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First and foremost: Tell us about yourself, as a player:
OOC: I am an avid fan of Role Playing, tabletop, video games, LARPing, etc. When I was a kid, I loved playing "Indiana Jones" or "Star Wars" on the playground at school, and it's stuck with me even though i'm nearly 30 now. It's the ultimate release and a great hobby of mine. In WoW terms, I like to play the paladin defender. I don't presume to be the hero who will save the world, but I try to play the part of the noble knight who will follow his heart and duty. I know how to play, I am not elitist, and am very keen on making friends and having fun. I've never been "hardcore". I much prefer playing for enjoyment.

What country do you come from? What is your primary language?:
I was born in Ohio in the United States in 1980, and have lived here all my life. My primary and only language is English.

How did you get into Warcraft?:
I bought Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness back when I was a teenager. It was the first computer game I ever purchased. I was hooked immediately. I picked up Warcraft: Orcs and Humans at a computer trade show maybe a year later and played the heck out of it. I laid down money on Warcraft III as soon as it was released, and waited with baited breath as WoW was announced. I am a Warcraft-aholic.

What made you seek our server over others?:
I have been searching for a very involved role play server for a long time, and by browsing though many websites and server lists, I've seen this server's name come up over and over again. I think that by maintaning the introduction approval and other rules, I will find a community of mature, responsible role players that I will enjoy interacting with.

What kinds of roleplay do you enjoy?:
As I stated earlier, I enjoy roleplay of all kinds. From tabletop gaming to the occassional LARPing, I find RP is a way to let go and indulge are more creative selves. That is not to say I am out of touch with reality. I don't see myself as my character or anything like that. It's an outlet, albeit a very enjoyable one.

What is your favorite race/class? Why?:
Without hesitation I can say that Human Paladin is my favorite race/class combination. Coming from Warcraft I-III, I was always enamored with heroes like Lothar (even though he was a warrior), Turalyon, and especially Uther the Lightbringer. When I first played Warcraft III and got to use Arthas the Paladin as a hero, I cheered. Finally a paladin hero! I literally cried a tear when he turned evil in that game.
I find paladins to be exemplary heroes in a world like Warcraft. They exist in a universe where there is constant hardship and pain, but they must fill the role of both warrior and priest. To me there is nothing so awe-inspiring as seeing a heavily plated man in pauldrons and a blue cloak take up his warhammer and charge into battle.

What are your expectations of this server?:
My expecations are to find a mature and satisfying roleplaying community that hopefully I can help enrich.

Out of all of our rules and regulations listed on our server, which appeals to you the most?:
I would have to say respect. Respect is in such short order in the world these days. We all play this game to have fun, and whether we're a dwarven warrior or an undead rogue, we are all human beings behind the keyboard, and we need to respect each other, even if/when we don't agree with one another.

Lastly, tell us a story! It can be short, it can be long; but most importantly, we want to see your work in action. Go!:

Alas, Lordaeron
"I still remember the looks on our faces when they told us. A dozen men hardened by battle and able to endure the worst the Orcs had to offer, and now we sat stupified, looking as if we could be toppled over by the weakest toddler. Could you blame us? Ever since the second war, when Lord Lothar chased the Horde back to Blackrock mountain and Turalyon sent them packing back through the Portal with their tails between their legs, Lordaeron had been a place of relative peace and prosperity. Now we were hearing unbelievable things. Yet as we listened to the messengers we knew that what they they were saying was true; Stratholme had been destroyed.

Stratholme was the largest city in the eastern parts of Lordaeron. It had been rebuilt after the second war, stronger and larger than before. It was the home of Alonsus Chapel and the birthplace of the Knights of the Silver Hand. I remember my youthful days spent playing "Knights and Orcs" with my friends in its vast streets. I remember sneaking looks into the Cathedral, hoping to catch a glimpse of one of the legendary paladins.

I remember kneeling before the bishops, and taking my oaths as one of those paladins.

I was only eighteen then, barely a man. But I had passed my tests and served well as a squire. It was the proudest day of my life as Sir Brand clasped the pauldrons on my shoulders. I felt a surge of worth as the priests prayed over me, instilling me with the powers of the Light. I swore my oaths seriously, and I meant them. I remember the proud look on my father's face as he sat and watched. I remember my mother couldn't stop crying. It didn't embaress me like it may have as a young man though. Today I could barely hold back the tears myself. The dream that I had pursued for nearly my entire life was finally accomplished. I was Aranath Turambar, Knight of the Silver Hand.

Now the chapel was gone, burned down by our Prince..

Now my parents were gone, destroyed by our Prince.

Arthas Menethil. He was the champion of my generation. I never met him, but I remember seeing him training in the Cathedral from time to time. He was only a few years old than me, and we came to the Knighthood relatively at the same time. His was the larger fanfare however, and well-deserved. He WAS the Prince, after all, and the Lightbringer's star student. We all believed that one day, with Arthas as King, Lordaeron would rule the world as a paragon of Light and Justice. How wrong we were.

The record of Arthas Menethil's treachery is long and well-documented, and I feel no need to go into it further. Suffice it to say at the time of Stratholme's destruction, we didn't know it was our traitor Prince who enacted the culling. Most rumors blamed the massacre on the Scourge, or even the new warchief of the Horde. That our golden champion could fall so far into madness wasn't a thought that could cross any of our minds. He was a paladin and Prince of the realm!

So there we sat, the few dozen of us in Hillsbrad, listening to the messengers from Capital City tell their grim tale about Stratholme's demise. That was probably the first moment all of us realized what a threat the Scourge truly was.

If only we knew then what we know now.

I'm not going to say that more knowledge would have changed anything, but it's our right as survivors to think "What could we have done differently?" Stratholme was the first major city in Lordaeron to fall, but it would not be the last.

I was in Andorhal at the end. Lord Uther had mobilized those of us in the southlands to come north to help fight the oncoming Scourge. I think he knew it was hopeless, but the Lightbringer was good at displaying confidence even when everything around him fell to pieces. I was at Andorhal when King Terenas' ashes were brought forth and presented to Uther.

I was Andorhal when Arthas the Death Knight arrived and shattered the last light in Lordaeron. I was there when Uther fell.

You have never seen a more ferocious battle as the one that took place between those of we surviving paladins and the Scourge forces as we strived to get the Lightbringer's body. Ghouls and Skeletons fell by the hundreds as we sacrificed all of ourselves for the remains of the man who sacrified everything of himself. And we won.

The world will never see another Lordaeron. The world will never see another Uther Lightbringer. Theirs were fires that burned bright and hot, but were extinguished by the cold touch of death.

I know my writings must seem like a jumbled mess of thoughts with no sense of flow, but to me they all flow together as a testament to the way things were. I am a Paladin, a Knight of the Silver Hand. I am one of the few who survived those dark days in Lordaeron. I am one of the thousands of refugees from Lordaeron who came to Stormwind.

My name is Aranath Turambar, and though the events I have recorded here happened nearly ten years ago, I remember them like they were yesterday. I will never forget.

My name is Aranath Turambar, and though my Order has been crushed and my kingdom destroyed, I pray to the Light that a new Order will arise, and the glory of Lordaeron shall come again. The Lich King has much to pay for, and we will tear down the very walls of Icecrown if we must. Not in vengeance, for vengeance can never be a part of what a Paladin does.

What we do, we do for the sake of the world. Glory to the Highlord, glory to the Light.

Signed,
Aranath Turambar,
Knight of the Silver Hand
Paladin of the Argent Crusade

Is there anything else you would like to add, ask, or otherwise clarify?:
Very interesting. I hope to see you on the server sometime.