Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: All About Shamanism
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I might have stopped playing shamans, but their awesomeness remains in my typing fingers.

Small foreword: Some of these things are speculative, but hey, we try to make the best out of what Blizzard has given us. Lore has always been quite speculative at some points… Sources are all the way down.
If you have questions, please ask. I'd like to add them to this pile of information. Also, if something untrue or doubtful has been spotted, please let me know.

tl;dr? Planes -> Elemental Plane -> Shaman call/ask for aid

Table of Content
1. Etymology
2. Definition of Shamanism
3. U.S. pt 1 – the Multiverse
4. U.S. pt 2 – of Shamans and Planes
5. U.S. pt 3 – Calls, Philosophy and Elemental Spirits
6. Favour, a Shaman's Mana
7. Realistic Calls
8. Practitioners of Shamanism

Etymology

Quote:The term "shaman" is loan from Tungusic word šamán, the term for such a practitioner, which also gained currency in wider Turko-Mongol and Tungusic cultures in ancient Siberia. The word's etymology is uncertain. It is sometimes connected to a Tungus root ša- "to know". Other scholars assert that the word comes directly from the Manchu language, and would therefore be "the only commonly used English word that is a loan from this language".

Definition of Shamanism

Quote:The animistic religion of certain peoples of northern Asia and Native Americans in which mediation between the visible and spirit worlds is effected by shamans.

Understanding Shamanism Part 1 – The Multiverse

There are two worlds in Earth's Shamanism, the world of the living, like you and me, and the spirit world. Shamans, highly revered priest-like persons in Shamanism, are able to communicate with that spirit world. They foretell the future with the aid of good spirits, cure what harm evil spirits have done with their knowledge, are masters of herbalism and so on.

Warcraft's Shamanism is very close to that, yes indeed. The evil spirits I mentioned earlier do not only consist of vengeful ghosts (as seen a lot in troll culture) but also, yes, demons. The good old shaman versus demon. What gives you higher prestige than to slay a taint to the land? Few things, but yeah.

There are many different planes in the world of Warcraft, we don't know the exact number, but do know it's a lot. Azeroth is a plane, the Twisting Nether too, don't forget the spirit world! We call these planes all together, the Multiverse. There are different types of course. For instance, Azeroth is a material plane. Draenor (now known as Outland) was one too.

Another sort of plane is the Ethereal Plane, which we know only one of, the Emerald Dream. Said plane is somehow attached to Azeroth's material world.
Then you have Energy Planes, this is where your ‘light', ‘undead', your ‘shadow' spells come from. Also, this thing called the Shadow Realm, is believed to be a shadowy version of Azeroth, used by the mightiest of Death Knights to call upon whatever they find of use there.

Finally! The part of which shamans are heavily included. In my eyes, there are two planes besides their material one which a shaman communicates with.

1. The Elemental Plane. Before creatures on Azeroth as we know them started populating the surface, it was ruled by chaotic elementals, the time of the old gods. The Titans had no objection locking them up far beneath Azeroth's surface. This leaded to elementals being banished to another plane, the Elemental Plane.

2. The Astral Plane. Inner and Outer Planes, very complicated they are. Luckily, Azeroth has the easiest case. In between Azeroth and the Emerald Dream, you have the spirit world AKA afterlife AKA the Astral Plane. The Twisting Nether can be the main spirit world, all tricky stuff not needed to be told in here.
Back on subject! Not all dead sapient creatures are in the spirit world we know. Paladins would mostly go to the Holy Light (an Energy Plane), druids are supposedly spending their time in the Emerald Dream and shamans are presumed to roam the world with elemental spirits.

As always, there is someone wanting to take over the place. Sargeras and his Burning Legion is the bad guy crew here. You see what they did to Argus and Draenor, be prepared I tell ye! No plane is safe. We might have fended for ourselves a couple of times, but that won't stop the Burning Legion. Oh no… they've taken over many planes, we're just another pile of ‘em… that's putting up quite a good fight. Broxigar the Red Ax has even managed to wound Sargeras' leg, giving Elves time for the gate to be shut between Azeroth and a Legion conquered plane, which of course no one has ever managed to do before. Please, look up ‘Broxigar' in wowpedia.org, it's quite an interesting story.

Understanding Shamanism Part 2 – Of Planes and Shamans

Quote:Shamans are spiritual visionaries of tribes and clans. These gifted healers can see into the world of spirits and communicate with creatures invisible to eyes of normal beings. They are beset by visions of the future and use their sight to guide their people through troubled times. Although the shaman may seem wise and serene at first glance, he is a formidable foe; and when angered, his wrath is as fierce as those who have a connection to Eternals or nature.

You must be wondering, how in Brox's name do shamans communicate with elemental and ancestral spirits? They see things others cannot, and the spirits probably decide when. Of course, a shaman can always ask if he/she has got enough favour with them. That is what shamans are all about, doing favours and asking. You'll see that in the next chapter!
Potions are also known to be made to see this, but I reckon they'd be expansive as fel.

Understanding Shamanism Part 3 – Calls, Philosophy and Elemental Spirits

Quote:All shamans gain their power from the Elemental Spirits, so most shamanic philosophy is the same no matter which race practices it. Access to the power of the shaman is borrowed, rather than taken. Unlike the rigid disciplines of the Holy Light which bends the power of the Light to its user through spells, shaman practitioners refer to the act of using their magic as calls, not spells. The power imparted by the elements to the shaman has a wide berth, and encompasses many forces. A shaman can diagnose and cure ailments, harness the power of the elements to defeat their opponents, and enhance the natural power of themselves and other. And these abilities are but a mere fraction of the ability of a shaman. By traversing the axis mundi and forming a special relationship with the spirits, shaman have gained access to divination, dream interpretation, astral projection, control over the weather, and a near innumerable list of abilities.

Shamanism is based on the premise that the visible world is pervaded by the invisible force of spirits that affect the living in a very strong and meaningful way. Shamanism can therefore be seen as the practical application of the concepts of animism through specialized knowledge and abilities. Shamanism is not, however, organized into full-time rituals or spiritual association as priests are. There exists a very distinct chasm between a Priest serving the Earthmother, and a Shaman of the Earthmother.

Throughout this part, I am not going to say much, but of course I will give small comments and extra information.

Quote:THRALL: Isn't magic magic?

GROM: Yes and no. Sometimes the effect is the same. For instance, if a shaman was to summon lightning to strike his foes, they would be burned to death. If a warlock was to summon hell's flames against an enemy, they would be burned to death.

THRALL: So magic is magic.

GROM: But lightning is a natural phenomenon. You call it by requesting it. With hell's fire, you make a bargain. It costs a little of yourself.

THRALL: But you said that the shamans were disappearing. Doesn't that mean that the warlock's way was better?

GROM: The warlock's way was quicker, more effective, or so it seemed. But there comes a time when a price must be paid, and sometimes, it is dear indeed.

Ah, I like this conversation the most of all. In my time on retail, it occurred far too much that warlocks were never showing signs of the other side of the coin. Of course, a warlock can start out with good intentions, of course they can hold those, but do not forget you are making a bargain with the devil. It's bound to backfire dramatically… In orcish history, the spirits' distaste of demons has been displayed. So, slaying nasty demons is a good way to earn brownie points with the local spirits… brownie points? I'll make a paragraph for that.

Quote:DREK'THAR: The wolves are not tamed, not as you might understand the word. They have come to be our friends because I invited them. It is a part of being a shaman. We have a bond with the things of the natural world, and strive always to work in harmony with them. Warlocks would term them spells, but we shamans simply term them calls. We ask, the powers we work with answer. Or not, as they will. I can call the snows, and wind, and lightning. The trees may bend to me when I ask. The rivers may flow where I ask them to.

THRALL: If your power is so great, then why do you continue to live in such a harsh place? If what you are saying is true, you could turn this barren mountaintop into a lush garden. Food would never be difficult to come by, your enemies would never find you—

DREK'THAR (angrily): And I would violate the primary agreement with the elements, and nothing of nature would ever respond to me again! Do you understand nothing? Have the humans sunk their greedy talons in you so deeply that you cannot see what lies at the heart of a shaman's power? I am granted these things because I ask, with respect in my heart, and I am willing to offer something in return. I request only the barest needs for myself and my people. At times, I ask great things, but only when the cause is good and just and wholesome. In return, I thank these powers, knowing they are borrowed only, never bought. They come to me because they choose to, not because I demand it! These are not slaves, Thrall. They are powerful entities who come of their own free will, who are companions in my magic, not my servants. Pagh! You will never understand.

Ah, wise old Far Seer Drek'thar explains the difference of spells and calls. Quite a unique thing…

Quote:THRALL: I am one of the second wave of shaman, just as I am the leader of the second, and I pray better and wiser incarnation of the Horde. I have spoken with the elements and spirits, and I have felt them working in harmony with me many times, and refusing their aid almost as often. But I have never seen the spirits of the ancestors, not even in my dreams; my soul yearns for such a connection. Until very recently, those who once walked the path of the shaman did not even dream of being able to walk it again, and yet they do. Perhaps one day the barriers between us and the beloved dead, too, will be lifted. Perhaps.

Thrall's monologue here clarifies the connection between spirits and shaman very well in my opinion.

Quote: The shamans call upon the Elements in their magic. There are five elements, or Spirits: Earth, Air, Fire, Water and the Wilds. At their simplest, the elements may cause an earthquake, summon a storm, conjure fire or finding water. As their most complex, the elements are the very world we live in.
The Spirit of the Wilds is the most complex and least understood of the elements. This element is tied to life and the living things that grow when the other four elements are in harmony. The Wilds is rarely used by shaman, and lies more in the domain of the druid. It is invoked by the shaman only during the ritual of Ancestral Spirit, a call so powerful it can rewind the mortal coil, bringing life to the dead, and binding the spirit of a being back into their corporeal shell.

How often are the wilds forgotten by the shaman? They could at least mention it when speaking of the elements, tss.

Favour, a Shaman's Mana

You see a shaman, and on the other side you see the elemental spirits. The shaman has no favour, so the spirits don't answer his calls. The spirits see him slaying a demon, and he gains a bunch of favour. Now, they answer his call and some favour is deleted but will reappear in a time.

This is how I see the calling system goes. Basically, the shaman gains favour with them by doing things good for the spirits, I like to see favour as a shaman's mana. You gain that by doing things for the spirits, by pleasing them, by being good to them.

Realistic Calls

Before you start waving around, calling the elements and whatnot, you need to know how much your character knows, and how much favour you have. For instance, you're a young shaman, you don't know much besides the basics. You have pleased the elemental spirits once or twice, and you're off to battle some mangy cur.

You call for the elements to let the earth split open, to ensure that your enemies won't come out ever again, you reign nature's fury upo- STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM!

The most an inexperienced, young and favourless shaman would be able to do in battle is one shwooffle of an element. Be realistic, don't Thrall yourself up. (Honestly, far seer at that age?)

But yes, if you absolutely have to look awesome, that's possible with one shwooffle of an element. Be creative, call for them to magically set your spear ablaze for a limited time, ask them to let a small spike of earth pierce your victim. Or if you're in a storm, ask them to strike your opponent while they're at it.

The more experienced and the more favour you've got, the bigger the scale of your calls get. For instance, a great far seer is able to call for a large earthquake.

Remember, you are able to call upon the elements. A lot of creativity is involved with this, the smarter you play a shaman in battle, the stronger you'll get without being overpowered. See a big log dangling above a mob of enemies following you? Call for the elements to separate the log from the tree with whatever element suited, giving you time to escape. Here, you've done a small call but still made a lot of impact. Use your location to the fullest, shammies!

Practitioners of Shamanism

-Battle Shaman
This is the most common practitioner of shamanism, even though shamans are very prestigious, this is sadly not a prestige class. Well, what more can I say? This whole guide has been explaining the normal shaman, hopefully. They don't constantly use the elemental spirits to aid them, they rely more on their melee combat skills. They mostly use claws or weapons normal to their race. They call upon the spirits when really needed, I'd say, as a special attack.

Although not as much as the ascended version of the normal shaman, they do contact the spirits once in a while for given reason. Their clothing normally consists of tribal leather kilts, cloaks, beast masks, teeth, …

Playable by: Probably all races that are (partly) shamanistic.

-Far Seer
Ahah, an ascended battle shaman. These are mostly very old, experienced and probably talented shamans that have finally earned the title of Far Seer after all of their hard work that started from they were young. The spirits favour them more than a regular shaman, they're old and they can, so they kind of call upon the spirits in battle a lot. A far seer can also see visions, hence why they're called far seers. They can see the future because they're so favoured with the spirits.

Far seers are often a chieftain's left hand, an advisor. They clothe themselves as a regular shaman, but sometimes replace their beast mask with a hood. Staves are also preferred over claws now. They mostly ride great dire wolves, it matches with their white hair. I hope this is a prestige class, as they are, very, very, very prestigious, especially within the Horde.

Playable by: Probably all races that are (partly) shamanistic, though, I doubt trolls can, they're not really into shamanism that much to devote their lives at becoming a far seer.

-Spirit Champion
The spirit champion is a fighter fully devoted to the spirits only, yes, only. He/she would, literally, kill his own mother if the spirits tell him to. Although, they do gain quite a few bonuses. The spirits improve their wits, strength and whatnot, and even constantly whisper in his/her ear what to do next, advise him on techniques and so on. Together with their master melee combat skills, they're quite a tough target to kill. How often do you fight a big ‘brute' fully aided by the spirits, ey? They're closer to them than regular shamans.

Spirit champions enjoy mediating in nature's beauty, more before battle, and also consider wearing chainmail and/or plate armour extremely offending, so expect to see them running around in loincloth, some straps, and some sort of beasty head. Highly skilled spirit champions can even join the spirits, but not fully of course. They have this ability to become a spirit for a limited time. In my opinion, this is a prestige class.

Playable by: Tauren, orcs, half-orcs, half-ogres, and jungle trolls.

-Spirit Walker
The spirit walker, tricky. In tauren society, if a calf with snow white skin is born, it is a sign that they will become a spirit walker. However, those that are not born with that will change their fur as they advance through their spirit walker years. Someone sees whether they will become a spirit walker or not at puberty (Rarely later, but it happens.). If they experience dreams of ancestors or complete strangers of the past frequently, that's a clear sign. Some try to ignore, but it's inevitable. They will become that feared, but revered loner.

The spirits of ancestors in the Emerald Dream fill his mind, he/she roams through their thoughts and personalities, their opinions. That is why, at elderly age, some don't remember their own self. The spirit walker isn't really in this world, they half dream throughout the day. A spirit walker can sometimes enter the Emerald Dream, much like with the spirit champion, they become invisible for a limited time.

These troubled minds need guidance, a shaman makes sure of that. Spirit walkers whom do not receive training often descend into madness. A good spirit walker is one of the best defenders of his tribe, due to all of those warrior spirits raging as danger nears, especially those loyal tribe protectors of the past. A spirit walker may have a personality of himself, but you might never know who the one is that actually answers. It could be your dead aunt!

Right, when it comes to battle, totems are their choice. They lunge away with giant totems, impressive, hey? They're again, very tough foes as they have the knowledge of literally a thousand warriors, the loyalty of another thousand and so on. For this class, I highly recommend you to see the wowpedia.org page, they're complicated. If this isn't a prestige class, I'll be just flabbergasted.

Playable by: Tauren, orcs are still investigating this, they would probably get their own orcish ancestors from the spirit world, not the Emerald Dream where some tauren spirits reside.

Sources: wowpedia.org, Wikipedia.com, (the following don't really matter) forgotten guides, friends, experiences, Warcraft 3 & World of Warcraft gameplay