The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Lessons of the Bladetongues
The First Mission

The voices outside their family hut were low, and hushed, but she could still make them out. In the darkness of the night she looked to where her Brother should have been sleeping across the room; but he sat awake, looking back to her. Slowly, he raised a finger to his lips to silence any intention of sound that she might make. She only nodded, and even that was a slight movement. She didn’t even dare breathe deeply for fear of being heard. It was together in that darkness that the siblings listened to the important talk of Elders, a hobby that would eventually become hard to break.

“It’s true, Kuro. I heard it myself. The Frostwolves will not drink. Durotan refused Gul’dan’s offer.”

“You are certain?”

“I am. Durotan’s beliefs do not mesh with this new way of things. He stands against the Shadow Council. What this bodes for us, I cannot say.”

“I see.”

“If they do run, like they are planning to, we will be hard pressed to keep an eye on them. I do not know if I like the idea of an entire Clan out there, wandering just out of our grasp. When the Clans were isolated, there were less of these plots and issues to deal with. Now, we need our eyes on everything to stay ahead. I say we convince them to stay, or at least make sure they are not allowed to leave.”

“You will do no such thing. We have no the power to stop an entire Clan, you know that well. Besides, the migration and defiance of one Clan is no direct concern of ours as of yet. There is no power or profit to be gained in participation in uninformed revolution. This is a conflict between the Frostwolves and Gul’dan right now. Let it stay that way as far as the rest of the Clans are concerned. Direct involvement would be…catastrophic to our family. Let us watch and see how things unfold. You cannot deny that you are curious to observe this power struggle.”

“Curiosity is dangerous, Kuro. And I am not sure I like the fact that the Frostwolves cling to the more traditional ways of our people. Are they so afraid of change?”

“Is not everyone afraid of change?”

“Do not play games with my words. When strong opinions develop, battle follows. In war, one must choose sides carefully.”

“I know this well.”

“And yet you would sit idly by?”

“I do not sit idly, I watch. I wait. And then, then I make my decision. Do not be so impatient my old friend. You know I appreciate good stories. This may someday be one.”

“What if the Frostwolves plot to wage war against all the Clans that did drink?”

“Then they plot.”

“And you would let us stay in the dark? Blind to whatever they might be plotting?”

“No. I have no intention of staying in the dark. Knowledge is the lifeblood of war.”

“What then..?”

“We create light.”

“…You mean to send one of us in then? Heh. I suppose that is the best way to know what is going on. But who will you send? I imagine the Frostwolves will be suspicious and on guard against everyone right now. Especially if Durotan feels threatened by the consequences of the choices he has made.”

“They cannot fear that which they see as small and inconsequential.”

“What?”

“No worries, old friend. I will take care of the rest.”

“As you wish. I will await your word.”

“Indeed.”

The outside chatter ceased, and then there were the soft sounds of footfalls upon the earth. One set moved away, and the other moved within the hut. Reka shut her eyes quickly, pretending to be asleep. She did not look to see if Jurek had done the same, but she assumed he had.

Kuro strode calmly to the middle of the hut, sitting himself down before a small table. He stroked his beard with one hand, starring to the wall.

“Reka, attend me.”

Reka did not reply. Gently, the young Orcling bit down on her lip. If she replied, Father would know that she had been listening.

“Do not make me ask again.”

Reka did not need to be told twice. She climbed to her feet, moving to her Father’s side. She rubbed at one eye, yawning. “Yes Father?”

“I would like some tea.”

“Tea, Father? But it is late. Can you not wait for your morning tea? I’m sleepy.” Reka pouted her lower lip at Kuro.

The Elder Orc backhanded the pup with his right hand.

“Do not speak to me with such disrespect. You know better.” Kuro narrowed his eyes as he peered down the length of his nose to his daughter.

Reka stood very still, her cheek stinging from where Kuro had struck her. She did not cry, nor did she yell. Her little hands clenched at her sides as she nodded.

“My apologies, Father. I did not mean to-“

“I do not care for your intentions. I care for the results. In the end, the results are all that matter.”

“I understand, Father.” Reka moved to fetch a pot for his tea.

“Wait.”

Reka stopped in her tracks.

“Come back here.”

Reka turned and moved back to her father, sitting before him as she awaited his next instruction.

“I trust you were listening to my earlier conversation?”

Reka nodded.

Kuro smirked to himself, which surprised Reka. She would have thought him to be furious, but instead he almost seemed to be on the verge of laughing.

“You are a good girl, Reka. And you do make the best tea. It pleases me.” Kuro gave a stern nod, resting his hand atop Reka’s head. “You do wish to make me proud, yes? To be my favored child?”

Reka nodded again.

“Ahh, very good. Now, there is something I need you to do.”

“What is it, Father?”

“There are a group of Orcs that will be going away very soon. I need you to go with them.”

“Where are they going?”

“On a very long trip, my dear. I need you to keep an eye on them for me. Remember what I said about keeping your enemies close?”

“Yes Father, but you also said that everyone is an enemy.”

Kuro chuckled, a deep guttural sound that emerged from his throat. It soon shifted from amusement to a sigh as though it were never a substantial or real thing to begin with.

“So I did, and so both lessons are true. I need you to live with these Frostwolves, Reka. You are but a pup still. They will not see you for what you are.”

“What of you and Jurek, Father?”

“We will remain here. Should the Frostwolves plot against our kind, you will find me. Should they hide? You will tell me under what rock they have crawled. I will know everything.”

“I will be your eyes?”

“Yes, my sweet Reka. You will be my eyes, and I will be your Blade. And when I am gone, that job will fall to your Brother.”

“But Father…”

Kuro frowned at the mention of the word “but” as though expecting another rebuttal, however feeble. His tell tale glance of displeasure caused Reka to swiftly shake her head.

“I was…just wondering who would make your tea!”

“I will fend for myself. I am a grown warrior after all. Now, go back to bed. You will need your sleep after all.”

“But your evening tea!”

“I will wait for the morning. I do not wish to ruin a perfectly good breakfast tea I suppose.” Kuro smiled, and this caused Reka to smile back. She nodded, and with another pat on the head from her Father ran back to her pile of furs.

Kuro sighed again, watching her dart off. Once she had settled, he stood from his place at the table and clasped his hands behind his back. His eyes wandered to where Jurek “slept,” and a smirk crept upon his face. He said nothing, however, and wandered back out into the night.

Reka pulled the furs up to her chin, looking at the ceiling. Living with a group of strangers? It didn’t seem right. The Clans never spent time together save for the once a year gatherings. Of course, things had been changing lately…but it still felt weird. Her eyes began to water, and she shook her head to clear her thoughts. She would not cry. She could not cry. Jurek would never let her hear the end of it, and Father would be so disappointed if he knew. She curled up, to bring her knees closer to her chest. Everything she knew was here. How could she leave it all behind? She shut her eyes tight, taking a deep breath.

The sudden touch of a hand upon her shoulder surprised her, and her eyes opened in an instant. There was Jurek. He said nothing, just sat there close by. Reka tried to hold everything in, but knew her trembling lower lip betrayed her. She sat up and moved closer to her brother, wrapping her arms about him.

Jurek patted her back and let her cry.

“I’ll miss you, Brother.” She whispered between tears.

“I know,” came the typical stony response.

“Will you miss me?”

“No. I know I will see you again.”

“Do you promise? Really promise?”

Jurek nodded.

“You’re the best Brother ever, you know.”

“I know. Now go to bed before Father returns.” Jurek peeled his little sister off of him, letting her lay back down. He pulled the furs up over her and sighed, noting that she was still watching him. “What?”

“Will you stay with me? Until morning?”

“If I must.” Jurek rolled his eyes in a somewhat playful manner. "I will never be rid of you."

“Father says you’ll be my blade.”

“Father says a lot of things.”

“Oooh. I’m telling.”

“No you won’t.”

“You’re right. You know I’ll always keep your secrets.” Reka grinned.

“I am not the one with secrets to be kept. Now close your eyes little sister.”

Reka did as she was told. Her tears had stopped at least. Tomorrow would be a miserable and terrifying experience she was sure, but at least her brother would be there when she woke. If nothing else, she would always have him looking out for her. That was her one certainty in this changing world.
[Image: Lirshar_zpscaa814f0.png]
Before the Mission Came the Lessons

Lurik showed up when the sun was at its highest point in the sky, and Reka was at the entrance of her family’s hut to greet him when he finally came.

“Reka! Come here! Look what I found!” He called, his hands cupped together to keep something contained.

“What is it?” Reka loomed in the doorway, hesitant to leave the threshold of her home. Her eyes examined the way he held his hands together.

“Just come look. It’s really fascinating.”

The young Orcling snorted and shook her head.

“You’re lying. I can tell.”

“No I’m not,” retorted the other. “That’s not nice, Reka.”

“But the way you’re holding your hands together doesn’t make sense, Lurik. If you really were holding something, it would be squished. The palms are too close. You’re faking it.”

“You’re no fun. At all.” Lurik growled at her, baring his teeth. He grabbed her around the neck and pulled her from the doorway, rustling her hair with the top of his fist. “Do you always have to try and be right?”

Reka yelped as she was dragged out of her home, dragging her heels in the dirt so that it became more difficult to move her. Lurik sighed, letting her go from his grip as the dragging became tiresome.

“I really do want to show you something, Reka. Please come with me?” Lurik smiled at her warmly, his former agitation gone in an instant.

Reka looked back over her shoulder.

“I don’t know if my Father would like it. It is almost time for his afternoon tea.”

Lurik placed his hand under Reka’s chin and pulled her face back towards him.

“It will be worth it. I promise.”

His face was so close that Reka could feel his breath on her cheek. She flushed with embarrassment and pushed him away.

“Fine, fine. But it better be good.”

“I promised, didn’t I?” He grinned wickedly and took her by the hand to lead her away from the hut. She followed with a bit of a smile. It wasn’t often that Lurik decided to include her in his adventures. He was slightly older than she was, perhaps the same age as Jurek. She had never really asked him; they had just been friends as long as she could remember. This was a satisfactory arrangement as far as she was concerned. Father had said that asking too many questions aloud was one way to make people terribly uncomfortable and uneasy. Best to observe and learn the answers and ways of things with your own eyes.

Lurik brought her to some nearby fields. They were filled with simple flowers, and the grass that would have been green seemed to gleam with their golden hue. With the sun up high, the light flooded the plains and made for quite the view. Reka smiled, sitting herself amongst the flowers. She lifted her face to the sunlight, basking in its warmth.

“I knew you would like it here, Reka. It’s beautiful isn’t it? Just like you.” Lurik smiled, sitting down beside her.

Reka’s face filled with color again, but Lurik only smiled and picked one of the flowers. He handed it to her and brushed her cheek with his hand.

“Stubborn as all hell, but beautiful.” He pulled away, leaning back himself to peer up at the sun. “When we’re older, Reka, you’ll be mine.”

“I will?” Reka asked, a playful smirk crossing her face. “Good thing I won’t be old for a long time.”

Lurik snorted derisively. “Come on, I was trying to be nice.”

“Forgive me. I thought I was being funny.”

“Yeah, not so much.” Lurik chuckled, moving closer to her again. This time, his lips brushed her cheek causing her to stiffen uncomfortably.

“Lurik? Do you like me?” Reka blurted out. Lurik’s expression made her realize just how stupid a question it was.

“What do you think?” He grunted in annoyance, his eyes rolling.

Reka recoiled a bit more.

“I think it was a stupid question.”

“Yes. It was.” Lurik leaned in close to her, and his lips found Reka’s.

It was a strange feeling to be sure. Reka wasn’t sure exactly what she was supposed to do. Part of her felt like she was going to be smothered under his advances, and the other part rather enjoyed being the center of his affections. His lips were warm, but rough and cracked. They had seen much of the sun in their short time.

“This will be our place, Reka. I won’t show it to anyone else. And you have a gift to remind you of it.” He motioned to the flower still in her hands as he pulled away. “Now, you had best get home and make your Father’s tea before he comes looking for you.”

Reka had not realized she was closing her eyes until she heard him speaking.

“Mm? Oh, right. He doesn’t like it when I’m late.”

She got to her feet, tucking the flower behind her ear. “I will see you soon, Lurik.” She smiled widely and trotted off for home to attend to her chores.

Kuro was waiting at the table in his usual spot by the time she got back, arms folded neatly across his chest. Reka entered their hut and went about making his tea in silence. Even if she was only a little late, Kuro would have something to say. Best not speak and entice his displeasure.

Soon enough, the water was boiled and flavored with Kuro’s favorite spices. Reka would kneel before him, as was custom, and present him with his afternoon tea. His gestures were very certain and controlled as he took the tea from his daughter, bringing it up to his mouth for a cautious sip. As Reka looked on, he would nod his approval.

“You were out this afternoon?” He would ask at length.

“Yes Father.”

“Where?”

“In the fields just beyond. I promise I did not go far.” It was the truth, just not the entire truth. But Father’s have a way of knowing things they just shouldn’t.

“You were with someone.” He stated simply.

“No Father.”

“It was not a question.”

“My apologies.”

Kuro took another sip from the cup of tea before placing it down upon the table.

“The flower in your hair gave it away, Reka. Be more cautious next time.”

“Yes Father.”

“What boy was it?”

“Lurik, Father.”

“I see.”

Reka thought Kuro would have shown more displeasure, but he said nothing more. She smiled inwardly. If her Father did not show any objection, or voice it, then he must have approved. What a good day. She could have leapt for joy that Father finally approved of something, or someone. The absence of scorn was an improvement.

She was so giddy for the rest of the day that she couldn’t sleep. Twist and turn, and try as she might she just couldn’t stop thinking about Lurik and the meadow. She sat up in bed, looking around the rest of the hut. Nobody else seemed to be awake, maybe she could just go for a walk to calm her nerves. She pulled her pillow up, looking at the flower she had safely tucked beneath it with a fond smile. “I’ll be right back…” she whispered to it, climbing out of bed and out into the night.

The silver light of the moon gave the meadow a different look. It was a bit creepier then she remembered, but still unusually beautiful in its own way. Instead of the glowing golden look of the day, it was more like the grass was shrouded in silver mist and damp fog. She sighed fondly, taking in the scent of the night as she wandered the edge of the magical fields.

“Hehehe…”

“Shhh. Stop it. Someone will hear.”

“There is no one around to hear.”

“Good point.”

Reka stopped in her tracks, ears twitching at the sound of low and muffled voices from the tall grass. She crouched down lowly, cautiously crawling in the direction of the sounds. Her footfalls were impossibly light. She started by putting pressure on the heel; walking heel to toe as her Father had taught her. It was an effective way of walking quietly when you wanted to get closer and not have anyone know you doing just that.

Two Orcs were lying next to each other in the grass, just feet from Reka’s position with their maws practically interlocked. She inhaled as quietly as possible, not wanting to disturb them or alert them to her presence. Her heart thumped against her chest, but still she listened. There was the sound of smacking lips and laughs, combined with deep breaths and playful growls.

“Lurik, you’re so bad. What would your parents say if they found out we were here?”

“They do not have to know, Iru. Right now, I just wish to be here with you, in our special place.”

Reka bolted. Her desire for stealth was gone. Now she just wanted to be home. In her bed. Giddy with joy, and excitement again. But those feelings were gone and had been replaced with some darker thoughts. Through the grass and mud she ran without stop until she could see the doorway of the hut. She burst on through and was about to throw herself onto her bed, but her Father grabbed her arm and brought her close to his chest. She struggled at first, scratching at his arms, but Kuro held her firmly.

“Do you know what this is you are feeling now, Reka?” He demanded, arms wrapped about her tightly.

“I-I don’t want to know. Let me go.”

“No. You will learn it, you will know it.”

“Please Father….” She pleaded, her struggle lessening in the face of his firm bear hug.

“This is pain. Disappointment. Shame. If you never want to feel it again, you must look it in the eyes and learn from it. Do you think that boy cared for your feelings? Do you think anyone cares who they trample on the path to glory and satisfaction?” He paused, running his hand down her face. “The truth is that they do not, my sweet daughter. The world will trample you. Do not let it take what it wants. There is only what you want, and what your family needs.”

Reka’s body shuddered as she fought against the incoming surge of tears. They so badly wanted to be released onto the world, buried in the safety of her Father’s chest.

“Do not give the world the satisfaction it craves from you. You are in control, and only you can decide what happens. The moment you let the world take over and make decisions for you, this pain will return. You don’t want that, do you?”

“N-no Father. No I don’t.”

“I know you don’t, now shhh. Get back to bed. I need to go have a word with your Brother.”

Once she was released from her Father’s grip, Reka moved to her bed and grabbed the flower from beneath her pillow in a fit of fury. The young Orc crushed it in her fist, and then turned her head to snub it as she dropped it on the floor.

When the morning came, Reka opened her eyes slowly. Something tickled her nose, however, and she wrinkled her brow and moved her head back.

“Huh…?”

There was a flower on her pillow.

As she looked up for some kind of explanation, she managed only to catch a glimpse of her brother passing through the threshold of their family’s abode and into the light of day.

“Jurek…” Reka clutched the flower and smiled. But only a little.
Keep Your Friends Close...

Nagrand, The Past...

The skies of Nagrand were clear. The breeze was friendly as it ruffled Reka’s hair, forcing the young Orcling to smile. The sun was just starting to rise over the distant hills and Father’s tea was already waiting for him.

Reka jumped up on a wooden log that was used as a bench for sitting around the fire; and with arms stuck out to their full length on either side of her she began to spin. The world did not look normal when she did this. Everything blurred and twisted and it made her dizzy. Clouds did not drift alone in the dizzy sky; they instead spiraled together like some terrifying omen from the spirits of the Storm. She loved the stories of the Spirits that the Elders told around the fires after she was supposed to have gone to bed. Father seemingly only liked his own stories, for he always wrinkled his brow and sent her back to bed when he caught her up and about.

“One day you will know too much, my sweet Reka. Your ears have the appetite of five Thunderlords. Now, away with you. Sleep calls.”

Reka stopped spinning, taking the time to clear her head. She looked at the sky again until it went back to its normal wistful ways. With a lazy sigh, Reka leaned forward slowly, turning her body upside down so that she was standing on her hands. She spaced her arms evenly apart, hands gripping the more round shape of the log just enough so that she had a decent perch. Slow and steady, Reka took a couple of steps on her hands, now starring at the earth instead of the sky.

Moving in the direction of their home walked another figure, broad shouldered and draped in thick robes and furs. He walked with a stave held under hand, using it for balance as he made his way. He stopped, observing the child from a distance. He was not an unknown face; but usually he came late into the night, and usually only once her father had sent her to bed.

For the moment he said nothing.

Reka merely concentrated on his feet from her upside down position. With a grunt, she went about turning her body in a slow cartwheel motion so that she might right herself back up on her own feet. She peered at him curiously.

"You're Father's friend." She stated matter of factly after growing bored of the silence between them.

He nodded, speaking up in return. "Indeed, I am. And you are his youngest." he said idly, peering aside. "Your father is near, I hope?"

"He said I'm not supposed to talk to you." She folded her arms over her chest defensively.

"Is that so?" he asked, letting out a warm chuckle in response. "But, he is expecting me. We would not wish to keep him in waiting, now would we?"

"Father says you are like him and only ask questions that you already know the answers to." She grinned up at this familiar, but mysterious Orc, her eyes were busy studying his face. "I will show you to him. Would you like some tea? I made it myself."

He raised a small jug along his side in response and remained silent as he followed, though his demeanor was friendly enough, for one of her Father’s acquaintances. He seemed at least of her father's age, some battle scars visible along his face, long faded.

Reka led the Orc inside the hut where her Father sat waiting by the table. She bowed to him as she entered, going to pour him another cup of tea. Kuro gave the other Orc the slightest of nods.

"I trust my daughter has been minding her manners?"

He nodded in return, taking a seat and made about pouring his own tea, situating himself as he set his eyes directly upon Kuro's, folding his hands. "Of course. I trust all is well with yours."

"But of course." After Kuro's tea was set before him, he shooed Reka out of the hut with a simple gesture of his hand. "I must say, I was not expecting you in the middle of the day, Kage. To what do I owe the pleasure?" Kuro took a sip of his tea, face typically stoic and devoid of any actual surprise.

Kage's own face was warm, bearing a faint facade of a smile. His tone, too, was full of mirth.

"Must each meeting be in the matter of business, Kuro?" he asked, taking a sip from his cup. He would peer back as Reka left, a faint glint in his eye.

"Not at all," Kuro cracked a jovial smile. "There are finer things in life to be enjoyed and savored. Tea is amongst those things." He took a deep breath, the scent of the strong tea wafting through the room. "Yes, tea and poetry to be sure."

"Your youngest grows quickly." he remarked. "She will be of age soon, I see. What mind have you for her future?"

Kuro waved a dismissive hand. "She still has much to learn. For all her skill, she is an impetuous brat compared to her brother."

Kage closed his eyes in return, rubbing his fingers along his chin. "I see. And what skill is it you would see this one hone? There is always need of a blade, be it in shadow or in the light of the sun."

"And I thought you did not come to speak business." Kuro cracked a smirk, enjoying another small sip from his tea. "Come, old friend, surely you find no promise in the kodo that will not budge."

"Hmm..." murmered the orc. "Nothing, then? But you understand how this will reflect upon the others, I hope."

Kuro placed his cup down and wrinkled his brow.

"Were you the father of a daughter, Kage, you would understand that the day every father least looks forward to...is the day that men come inquiring after his daughter." He turned his head to the door, looking to where Reka had gone. "I will hone what I can with her, but it will take time. Until then, Jurek will have to make up for her weaknesses."

He grinned faintly. "No, indeed. I have been fortunate to be granted sons alone." he said, in a joking tone. "...Perhaps in time. Patience can make all the difference."

"So it can. It is also a strength that we both share, I think." Kuro turned his eyes back to Kage. "You are like the Brother I never had sometimes."

"And I as well. You have entrusted much to me." he replied, closing his eyes once more as he finished his cup. "I would never expect anything more than honesty between us."

Kuro nodded. "As it shall always be. There are some things that can always be relied upon."

"...All things in time." he echoed from prior. He stood up, bowing his head as he corked his jug. "I will speak to you soon. There are matters of this coming war which we must discuss."

"I await your word with eager ears." Kuro smiled again. "Do watch yourself on the way out, yes?"

He returned this with a warm smile. "Of course."

With that Kage turned, pacing out with the aid of his stave...

Orgrimmar, The Present Day...

After the water reached its boiling point, Reka removed it from the fire and went about making her cup of tea. She would smile, taking in a deep breath before sitting at the table. "Ahh...finally. The sweet scent of peach dances on the winds of peace and tranquility." Taking a small sip, she would let the heat of the water linger upon her tongue before she swallowing it. She then leaned back to get comfortable, half staring at the ceiling.

Just as she went to take her seat an even, slow rap came from the door, the sound of wood on stone. No voice came to alert her as to who was behind it, though.

Reka sighed. "So much for that peace and tranquility," She muttered, setting the cup of tea down upon the table. "Enter, please," she said a bit louder.

The door slowly opened to reveal a tall, broad-shouldered Orc. His head was partially covered by a hood, a long white beard spilling out from under the cowl. Slowly he hobbled forth, bowing his head ever slightly.

"Greetings. I understand I may find a baker here?"

Reka rose to her feet, bowing her head.

"That would be me. What can I get for you this evening, Sir?" She raised her eyes to look at him, smiling cheerfully.

He ran his fingers down through his beard, voice smooth and eloquent. "Ah... I see you are preoccupied. My apologies."

"No, it is quite alright. I was just having my evening tea. Old habit, you understand. Do you care for tea? The pot I just made is peach flavored."

"Well, I would not turn down such hospitality," he replied, hobbling over with his wooden stave. He eased down carefully, balancing himself with the staff.

Reka went back to the pot of tea, pouring another cup from the contents of the kettle. She brought it to him, holding it out with both hands. "There you are, I do hope you like it." Respectfully, she bowed her head.

He took the cup with his own bow of his head—and as he drew his head back up, Reka was just able to catch sight of his single glinting eye, the other masked by a patch.

"My thanks.”

Reka moved back to her own cup, sitting back down at the table. She sipped from it casually, enjoying the moment of silence while it lasted.

"You never did say what you needed, Elder. Though I trust it is not bread."

"No, not bread." he replied, taking a sip from the cup before setting it back before him. "I merely sought to speak with a long, distant acquaintance."

"It's been bothering me for a while now..." She said, setting the cup down again. "But I know you from somewhere. Besides from watching you fight Jurek. Something about your face..."

He grinned at this. "And I was afraid you would not notice at all. Yes, we have met before. Many years ago, before war and the Horde."

"If this is true, then, you must have been a family acquaintance...?" She turned to look at him intently, trying to remember.

"One whose ties ran deep." he nodded, his eye closed and hands set along his lap. "There was once a time when our households worked in great unison... Reka."

"If you come to speak of a truce now, I think it is a little late. You hurt my Brother." She wrinkled her brow. "If you want to rekindle our family ties, why do you not go find Kuro?" She smirked at that, looking back to her tea as though trying not to laugh.

"Oh, I hold no concern for a truce. And those ties were severed long ago. I have no intention to see them rekindled." he replied, his tone growing much more serious, mirth drained immediately at the mention of the other elder.

"Then why are you here? Are you not concerned you will tempt my wrath?" She smiled sweetly. "Surely we were not close in any respect or I would have remembered you more clearly."

"I have come to negotiate not a truce... but a parting of ways. As your brother so preferred it these past years. Your family will be left unharmed. My clan will consort with our own dealings."

She took another sip of her tea. "In exchange for what? Jurek seemed so sure you would not just up and leave."

"I believe you are aware of what I seek." he replied in a flat tone.

"My Father's heirloom? It belongs to me. If it didn't, maybe he would have left it to you." She grinned again. "Since you two were obviously so close."

"It belongs to you, perhaps. But I trust your father taught you wisdom, if nothing more. Even Kuro surely knew when concession was demanded."

"Perhaps you did not know him as well as you think you did. My Father was also proud, and surrender was not a word that he ever used in my presence. This is the man that taught me it is better to take your own life than give your enemy the satisfaction. Ask me for something else. Besides, you don't even know what Father's treasure is, do you?"

"Do you?" he asked, a serpentine grin coming over his face.

"We must have similar thoughts if you want it so badly." She returns the grin, folding her arms over her chest. "But really, make another offer and then I may consider it."

"I'm afraid that is the only offer you will have from me, Bladetongue." he replied, taking a sip. "But, let it be so."

"Then, let -me- make an offer." She sighed, folding her hands in her lap. "You and your Clan leave, and then maybe I won't end you." Her expression remained eerily calm, a warm and inviting smile upon her lips. "You have to sleep eventually, Elder. I keep only those I can trust around me. My own flesh and blood. You've already been betrayed by your students. What is to stop it from happening again? Take your losses and go back to wherever you came from. How about that?"

"You make hollow threats," he replied with a shrug of his shoulders. "My clan has endured for many years. Many years, and rare is it that we have seen one seek dishonor in desertion." he told her. "But, it is even rarer that they live to tell the tale." his tone was pleasant once more, but his eyes betrayed the malice in his words.

"You know who also told me my threats were hollow? Father. And, hmm...I don't see him around anywhere either." She shrugged absently, still smiling at her own insinuation. "Forgive my disrespect, Elder, but I will not give you what you want. And if you insist on coming after my family, I'm going to get mean. Unlike my Brother, I don't play by a set of rules. If you knew me while I was growing up, you'd also know that I always get what I want. Never did care for playing a game I did not define."

He began to rise, bringing his staff up alongside him, not bothering with the facade for the moment.

"Really? Perhaps if you had been in your brother's place, we might be speaking on different terms then." he said, grinning slightly at this. "Until we meet again, Reka."

"May I ask you one more thing before you leave? One warrior to another?"

He was already making his way to the door, though he did give a glance back in return. "Of course."

"Why did you and my father part ways? He never spoke of it, or you." She frowns, the expression seemingly genuine as she watches Kage approach the door.

"There are many reasons, young one. No parting of such families is made lightly."

"I would know, if you would tell me your story. Despite my words, Elder, I would take no pleasure in fighting you. An enemy of my Father's is a friend of mine."

He chuckles slightly at this. "You may say that. Perhaps another time." he replied, holding his staff out to push the door open.

"Perhaps... Until then." She watched him disappear through the door, the frown lingering on her face. "Except next time we won't meet on such agreeable terms..."

((Big thanks to Rigley for rping as Kage throughout this bit. And putting up with my crazy rp demands!))

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lessons in Sanguine Maulbane 1 970 03-15-2014, 06:04 AM
Last Post: Maulbane
  Lessons in Shadow CappnRob 0 808 11-26-2013, 06:06 PM
Last Post: CappnRob
  Lessons in Identity Esthrunil 0 713 07-11-2013, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Esthrunil
  Lessons in pain. Sangreala's logs. [Completed] Psycho 32 5,420 07-30-2011, 01:52 AM
Last Post: Psycho