11-24-2020 06:53 PM
» Replies: 16
» Views: 434
What is glistening
Last Post: Xigo
08-17-2020 10:19 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 3004
You are a fond memory. Good night, CoTH...
Last Post: CappnRob
05-01-2020 08:05 PM
» Replies: 32
» Views: 86058
You Can't Go Home Again
Last Post: Scout
03-15-2019 09:24 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 2578
"Years of Service" Awards
Last Post: Maulbane
05-26-2018 09:58 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 3418

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Google AdStuff

13th Age
http://www.pelgranepress.com/?cat=248

13th Age is an unreleased tabletop RPG. I got to play a demo of it at Norwescon over Easter weekend, and I've gotta say... it's a good game. It's made by the creators of Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 and Dungeons and Dragons 4.0, combining the best aspects of both and adding some new stuff in as well, such as the Unique Trait and the Escalation Die. It's a game where you can be anything you want, and the stories the GM creates are based around your characters. I don't own the game, mind all of you, but from the demo it seems like a very well executed game. We had pre-made characters, and then we had to personalize them: We gave them a Unique Trait, 3 Icon points, and 8 Background points.

The Unique Characteristic can be anything. I was told that there was a dwarf who was formerly a bear. I had a half-elf fighter who was only part undead: specifically, his left hand was undead (this ended with the slapping of an undead horse, and since I rolled a natural 20 it became my steed, but I digress...).

The Icons are pretty interesting. There are a bunch of different major players in the world of 13th Age which is, of course, in its 13th age. Now, you get to ally or be at odds with these guys with up to three points. For example, I was a friend of the Lich King for 1 point and an enemy of the Priestess and the Elf Queen for 1 point each. This means the Lich King wouldn't murder me on sight, but the Elf Queen and the Priestess wouldn't welcome me in their realms, though kill on sight wasn't a likely situation for me.

Backgrounds are the history of the character: rather than a bunch of skills, you put points into backgrounds. So, when you roll a skill check, you would roll a D20, add your character level, add your ability modifier, and then add the amount of points you would get from relevant backgrounds (relevant is at the discretion of the GM). As an example, my 8 background points were in Villainy (3), Henchmen (2), and Redemption (3). Redemption wasn't truly useful for me, but I was able to make that skeletal horse my steed by using my Henchmen background. It's a nifty mechanic.

There's also the Escalation Die, proving that it's a more player-friendly game: Starting on the second round of combat, players get a to-hit bonus based on the escalation die. On the second round it's at +1, third round it's +2, etc. etc. all the way to +6 on the seventh round. This represents the heroes learning their opponents' weaknesses and the such. I like this mechanic a lot, as it makes you feel more heroic, though it can be nerfed by game masters as need be, if they want to run a deadlier campaign or if the party is fighting a major boss.

The leveling system is also something of note. There are only 10 levels, I'm told, and it would seem that level 10 is when you become an Icon yourself. Now, this may turn some folks off, but the GM decides when you level: there's no experience system. However, there is an Incremental Leveling system. This usually happens at the end of each session, and there's a list of things you can do to improve your characters while they're at their current level. For example, you can gain your level 3 feat at level 2 after a session, or increase your HP for the level, or gain the next attack bonus. You get all of these when the GM decides you level up, of course, which usually happens when you hit a critical turning point in the story or defeat a major enemy. Still, this gives players the feeling of progression while keeping the game master's flow going.

Finally, I come to my favorite part: the game comes with a map and lore, but only half of it is written. This is done on purpose. This way, you can make the world your own. My GM at Norwescon (who I have known since before 13th Age, by the way!), who is an awesome fellow, said that in his test group back at home, he has them discovering ancient relics from the Age of the Serpent, also known as the 11th Age. Nowhere in the book will you find any of the information on this Age of the Serpent or anything, but it's allowable. There are also towns and what not on the map that are never mentioned, because they're supposed to be created by the group. As a tie-in to the Unique Trait thing, you make the world what you want. In one group, the dwarves might be a growing threat to the rest of the world, while in another group one player is the last dwarven king, which is allowable because it won't break any of the lore.

So, check it out here if you don't want to look at the top of the post, and if anyone's interested, maybe we can get a game going. Oh, and, uh, I may have the early PDF stuff. The pre-order is $45, by the way, and you get all the PDFs and such when you buy it (the release has been delayed, the lead artist's house burned down along with all his back-ups).
[-] The following 4 users Like Mezrin's post:
  • Kira13, Xigo, Reigen, Holynexus
PM
From what you're saying, the setting sounds like a generic fantasy romp. 'Here lie the dwarves, the elves, the liches and the...' so on and so forth. Am I mistaken?

A big thing I'm looking for with RPGs lately are things that step outside of the norm. Things that play with fantasy tropes or otherwise try to avoid them. Does this do that?
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
PM

Quote:“Drrrrrrrr” the dark elf sorcerer adopted by a family of zombies
The tallest halfling ever known, due to being stretched on the rack by the Crusader
A half-elf ranger cursed to slowly turn into a tree.

Heh, this game seems pretty free-form, but I du-

Quote: A half-orc barbarian with two heads, and one of them is the evil twin

Shutupandtakemymoney.

[RPG looks fun, I'd likely get it sometime.]
PM
With my low budget, I'm not too inclined to drop 45$ to playtest something. Ah... is there any sort of download you can link us to so we can test it out? Or you can send a few of these over skype?

I buy stuff when I play them. I got like, twenty different RPG books. I just don't usually buy them until I've played them.

Gotta support the companies.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
PM
You know, you can make almost any sort of Pen and Paper whatever you want, right? You can make D&D or Pathfinder as insane as you can imagine, this just seems to help push you in that direction. Your characters can be 1/4th Undead or whatever you choose, and you don't even have to have half of a world, you can make whatever you want from scratch. I've been in a game where everyone lives underground, beneath killer ice, and have constructed a bridge to the planet's nearest moon and locked it in orbit, allowing safe travel, and all the elves are half drow due to a past war that didn't turn out in their favor.

45USD is a lot to drop on a book, especially one that isn't out yet.

Edit: To iterate, this does seem to put a lot of emphasis on out of combat styling as well as in combat. The way I see it is that out of combat social situations or the et cetera are all basically ruleless. You do whatever the hell you want, whereas combat needs these rules as the rigid nature helps keep things clear. Hence why D&D4e was seen as more of "Eh, it's all about combat," when it really wasn't much different than 3.5.
[Image: wMRLoCF.gif]
PM
I'm agreeing with Anski here. It just seems like this is DnD with a few extra things and a world that's meant to be customized. Does anything really stick out about it, Jordy?
PM
To be honest, guys? No. It is a generic fantasy romp. It's just really customized. Ask me on Skype and I'll send a copy over. And the only reason it isn't released, though, is the art got destroyed. It's not a playtest, they're out of that stage. It was supposed to be released this month, but it's pushed back to June.
PM
Hmm, so I was reading the internet as usual, and I had a thought! If I were to run this thing was a single house rule: that the campaign be made to revolve around a modified Deck of Many Things, would anyone play? By that I mean I'd draw a card from my own deck that I create, show you guys the card, and then we have an adventure based on what came up. I think it'd be fun, and it gives me a chance to try out this system. Apologies for the double post, by the way, but would any of you be interested in this?
PM
Aye, you have my interest. Been trying to get into a table top rp for a while now (And it'll give me something to do on the down time while I'm away from coth)
PM
Me and my friends made a massive table top game with boat loads of customization and a very extensive class system. The world spanned 4 boards without our amended "expansion pack" maps. Of course the rules would probably be hard for others to figure out. I was thinking of self publishing it maybe in the future. PM me if you want me to make a thread on it. I've also been waiting for a really good MMORPG or table top game to sink my teeth into, I may check it out!
[Image: 14l32iv.jpg]
PM
(04-03-2013, 02:16 PM)Demigod204 Wrote: Me and my friends made a massive table top game with boat loads of customization and a very extensive class system. The world spanned 4 boards without our amended "expansion pack" maps. Of course the rules would probably be hard for others to figure out. I was thinking of self publishing it maybe in the future. PM me if you want me to make a thread on it. I've also been waiting for a really good MMORPG or table top game to sink my teeth into, I may check it out!

I would recommend just making a separate thread for your own thing. To be honest, it kind of feels like you tried to shoehorn your product into the thread. I'm not saying this to be offensive or anything like that, please don't take it that way. I'm just saying it didn't contribute to the discussion of 13th Age.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mezrin's post:
  • Holynexus
PM
Sounds fun!

@Loxmardin Maybe we could kickstart your adventure RP with such a system?
Allons-y!

[Image: awesome-mario-gif.gif]

Have you hugged a dwarf today?
PM
My intention was to say that making your own game with friends is also a great way to get the outcome you want, at least that's my kind of thing.

Edit: Sorry, guess i wanted to know if people would even look at it if i took the time to make a thread, I'm no forum celebrity.
[Image: 14l32iv.jpg]
PM
(04-03-2013, 03:10 PM)Holynexus Wrote: Sounds fun!

@Loxmardin Maybe we could kickstart your adventure RP with such a system?

Primary issues on Loxxy's end are time and internet, not the lack of a system.
PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Friday the 13th. Psychyn 12 405 01-13-2012, 08:57 AM
Last Post: Roxas65