Forums
Wiki
Rules
FAQs
Events Calendar
Downloads

[-]
Latest Threads
You are a fond memory. Good night, CoTH...
Last Post: svempagunnar
09-14-2022 01:12 AM
» Replies: 42
» Views: 92238
Where Are You Now?
Last Post: Tales23
11-24-2020 06:53 PM
» Replies: 16
» Views: 805
What is glistening
Last Post: Xigo
08-17-2020 10:19 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 6287
You Can't Go Home Again
Last Post: Scout
03-15-2019 09:24 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 4472
"Years of Service" Awards
Last Post: Maulbane
05-26-2018 09:58 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 3777

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

A Roleplayer's Guide to Grammar, vol. 1
As a writer, editor, and general word-geek, I've realised that I can be a bit of a grammar nazi. While I generally try to keep it to myself, I thought I could use my powers for good & write up a quick post on common grammar mistakes.
And so, without further ado, I present my Roleplayer's Guide to Grammar.

• "They're," "Their," & "There" : These are some of the most often-confused words in everyday English. They're is the contracted form of "they are"; the apostrophe replaces the A. Their is possessive, like his. There is a place, the opposite of "here." In fact, it's just "here" with a T slapped on the front.

• "Your" vs. "You're" : Your is possessive, like "her" & "his." You're is a contraction for "you are."

• "Where" vs. "Were" : Another set of commonly confused words, where & were cause problems for a lot of people. Were is the past tense of "are." Where means "in, at, or from a location." An easy way to remember this is: Where and There both have Here in the spelling.

• "Too" vs. "To" : Too means "also." To is a preposition, as in "going to the store."

• "Its" vs. "It's" : Its is the possessive form of "it." It's is a contraction for "it is."

• "Have," Not "Of" : It's should have, could have, & would have. "Should of," "could of," & "would of" are incorrect. Should've, could've, & would've are acceptable contractions.

• Apostrophes : Apostrophes are used in contractions ("That's right") or possession by a single subject ("Mike's hat"). An apostrophe is used after the S for most possessive plural nouns ("the birds' seed, the dogs' dish"). No apostrophe is used for possessive pronouns (theirs, his, hers, its). And never, ever, EVER use an apostrophe to show plurals; typing "those dog's" is right out.

• "A Lot" is 2 words : Simple enough, but many people write it as "alot."

At some point in the future, I'll write one up for Shakespearean English (because it gets abused so often). Questions, comments, suggestions?
PM
Alot is better than you at everything!

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2 ... thing.html
All bumbling conjurers, clumsy squires, no-talent bards, and cowardly thieves in the land will be preemptively put to death. My foes will surely give up and abandon their quest if they have no source of comic relief.
PM
Also I'd like to add, many people learned that for plural possessives you'd right this, (the girl's name here is Jess, short for Jessica.) "Jess' dog was red." While this isn't incorrect, the rules have grammar changed recently and now, "Jess's dog was red." Is acceptable. Also Its and It's are commonly confused.
It's is a contraction for it is or it has. Its is a possessive pronoun meaning, more or less, of it or belonging to it. Here's a simple test you can use to figure out if you're doing it right. "If you can replace it's in your sentence with it is or it has, then your word is it's; otherwise, your word is its."
Some examples of that,
"It's been good to know you. Contraction: it has
It's a bird! It's a plane! Contraction: it is

The dodo bird is known for its inability to fly. Possessive pronoun: its inability = the dodo bird's inability"

Credit where credit is due for me being too lazy to type the examples myself: http://garyes.stormloader.com/its.html
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
I knew I'd forgotten one, Aphetoros. Should be fixed now
PM
Thanks so much. I've seen these errors more times than I can count, especially "they're, their, there" and "you're, your".
@Abishua: That link is so epic, hahaha.
Since this has been buried, and much better grammar guides have been written recently, I'll just suggest those from here on out.
PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Magic- Awareness of Impact [Guide Draft] Ilth 5 440 12-05-2014, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Kaghuros
  [WIP] All This Junk: A Comprehensive Guide to Malware SachikoMaeda 12 690 11-07-2014, 10:36 AM
Last Post: SachikoMaeda
  Rensin's Indy Game Guide, How to Love the Little Guys Harmonic 16 777 03-15-2012, 10:50 AM
Last Post: Harmonic
  SPR SRS Guide for cooling off after heated forum-talkings Harmonic 9 435 01-13-2012, 03:00 PM
Last Post: Cassius
  A Guide to the Rowgen Mind [Critisism Welcome!] Rowgen 11 454 12-24-2011, 06:27 AM
Last Post: Rowgen