Forums
Wiki
Rules
FAQs
Events Calendar
Downloads

[-]
Latest Threads
You are a fond memory. Good night, CoTH...
Last Post: svempagunnar
09-14-2022 01:12 AM
» Replies: 42
» Views: 92709
Where Are You Now?
Last Post: Tales23
11-24-2020 06:53 PM
» Replies: 16
» Views: 815
What is glistening
Last Post: Xigo
08-17-2020 10:19 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 6508
You Can't Go Home Again
Last Post: Scout
03-15-2019 09:24 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 4616
"Years of Service" Awards
Last Post: Maulbane
05-26-2018 09:58 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 3786

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

Aphe Concept Dump
This is inspired by @FlyingSquirrel's thread. I have a lot of ideas, and I just... can't seem to find places to use the characters or the willpower to create RP for them. Quoting him, now:

FlyingSquirrel Wrote:None of the concepts below have been GM approved, if at all. I cannot vouch for their adherence to lore, nor whether or not they are acceptable on CotH.

Undead Necromancer (mage)
Spoiler:
This character is inspired by a bit of text in the Graven One page on wowpedia. [x]

Essentially this guy was a human necromancer for a long time, seeking as much as he could about death magic after becoming fascinated by it while studying to be a wizard in Dalaran. He became obsessed with the idea of undeath and immortality, and eventually uncovered information about dark runes (similar to dark inscription) and he began to create the undead. He was found out by his peers, forced to kill them and flee to Northrend where he continued to study necromancy for a long time-- observing the Scourge and mimicking some of their raising techniques, but never getting too close.

Eventually his use of undead creating magic started to corrupt him and corrupt his form until eventually he just found himself... undead. He may have worked with the Scourge occasionally as a master undead repairer/creator, but never fully joining their ranks-- staying independent. After the Lich King's downfall, and the discovery of the Forsaken, he decided to join them and their cause in hopes of creating a master race of perfect undead.

30+ aged Dwarf/Human Priest of the Titans [x]
Spoiler:
So, this character is either a Human who has learned about the Vrykul and the Curse of the Flesh or a Dwarf. After uncovering this information, they become fervently devoted to spreading knowledge of and about the titans. I also considered that they were a Priest of the Light, and this new information kind of blew their mind enough to convert. Their power grows the more they learn about the titans. IF they're a dwarf, they might craft things and devote them to the titans. Either race would probably create shrines to the titans using found artifacts. They wouldn't just be p'riestly', they would need to be a dungeon-diver. Plus if the dwarf uses brass knuckles. (Because a brass-knuckle using priest is amazing. Plus, they could empower their weapons with divine energy.)

Looking at 'specs' they would probably be discipline specced. Their magic would focus on shielding, they would have access to divine lightning (basically smite and holy fire.) I get this feeling that their 'Light' would be different. Instead of golden it would be something either silver-white or like lightning. I even wanted to make a fanon religion-- creating sects of a 'church' and defining what devotees of each titan might be like. But I don't the energy. They would have access to shadow magic, but it would be divine shadow in a way of...representing the Great Dark Beyond and the Endless Darkness of the universe-- the shadows that fill the space between worlds (i.e. Twisting Nether.) I don't really see them using shadow form, because in combat I see them switching easily from shadow to light--in a balanced and orderly fashion.

Really old night elf any class, Dragon Priest
Spoiler:
This character worships the Dragon Aspects like deities. The reason I say any class is because it really depends on which dragon they worship. A priest could feasibly be any dragon, a mage could be a devotee of Malygos (or is it Kalecgos now?), a warrior of Neltharion (although that probably wouldn't really happen anymore), a rogue/priest of Nozdormu, Druid of Ysera. Really it's a faith, and I wanted to see a character molded by faith in the dragons. IT would be especially interesting come the end of Cata when the dragons give up their power.

A priest would be cool, because it would just be interesting to see how one balances and explains their powers. I didn't have super specific ideas for this one. Actually, I think Priest (Nozdormu, Alexstrasza, Deathwing (Shadow), Mage (Alexstrasza, Kalecgos, Deathwing (insane), and Druid (Ysera) work best for this one. As I'm writing this, I'm considering that maybe an Adherent of Deathwing would be very interesting. They may or may not be a Twilight cultist, but they could have been extremely old and just figured that the dragons were infallible, and when Neltharion became Deathwing, they embraced the chance.

Forsaken Mage, Echo of Life
Spoiler:
The Echo of Life is a Forsaken belief-system that claims that the feeling of using arcane magic is as close to a feeling of being alive as they'll ever get. This is a Forsaken who rejects the idea that their undeath can be cured. They loathe being undead, and they use this arcane rush to feel alive-- like a drug. They may even use illusions to present as less rotten. While they loathe their state of existence, they accept that they will never be alive again. They work to further the needs and wants of the Forsaken, despite their addiction of the feeling of 'life' through magic. They are somewhat grandiose, extravagant. Almost Blood Elvish in their superiority. They surround themselves with grand enchantments, clothes, jewels-- all created or obtained through arcane means.

They were not a mage in life, and therefore magic has a more profound and 'new' effect on them. Because of the undead's lack of need for sleep, he was able to spend days at a time studying, using arcane gems and potions to keep empowered. Occasionally his body would shut down and he would be forced to go into meditation to recover, but this endless awakeness and addiction to the feeling of arcane energy allowed him to spend so much time studying, that he is already an advanced mage. I'm actually pretty interested in this one still, I just don't quite know how to use it yet so if you want to just shoot me a pm first :)

And that's all for now. I think there were a few more I was gonna post, but I'm tired and forgot.
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
[-] The following 5 users Like Aphetoros's post:
  • flammos200, muhaha8, Dilly, CappnRob, Lunaxy
(11-28-2014, 09:07 AM)Aphetoros Wrote: Really old night elf any class, Dragon Priest
Spoiler:
This character worships the Dragon Aspects like deities. The reason I say any class is because it really depends on which dragon they worship. A priest could feasibly be any dragon, a mage could be a devotee of Malygos (or is it Kalecgos now?), a warrior of Neltharion (although that probably wouldn't really happen anymore), a rogue/priest of Nozdormu, Druid of Ysera. Really it's a faith, and I wanted to see a character molded by faith in the dragons. IT would be especially interesting come the end of Cata when the dragons give up their power.

A priest would be cool, because it would just be interesting to see how one balances and explains their powers. I didn't have super specific ideas for this one. Actually, I think Priest (Nozdormu, Alexstrasza, Deathwing (Shadow), Mage (Alexstrasza, Kalecgos, Deathwing (insane), and Druid (Ysera) work best for this one. As I'm writing this, I'm considering that maybe an Adherent of Deathwing would be very interesting. They may or may not be a Twilight cultist, but they could have been extremely old and just figured that the dragons were infallible, and when Neltharion became Deathwing, they embraced the chance.

Uh. Toooootally going to steal this thing from you. I've seen the article before, but it had been so long since I read it. I really think that the idea would be pretty interesting, on the whole. Gonna see what sort of shenanigans I can pull with it.
Spoiler:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0[/youtube]
[-] The following 1 user Likes muhaha8's post:
  • Aphetoros
PM
Yeah. I think the Dragon Priest idea is -realllllyyyy- good, too.
Perhaps it is your imperfection that which grants you free will, that allows you to persevere against cosmically calculated odds. You prevailed where the Titans' own perfect creations have failed.

- Algalon, The Observer

Spoiler:
[Image: tumblr_m00qfdoBWr1qd87hlo1_500.gif]

i am sea-bass
PM
I'ma just leave it up because it's so general that many characters could spawn from it :3
[-] The following 1 user Likes Aphetoros's post:
  • muhaha8
I'd love to see more dragon priests. I already play one, he's an old night elf lorekeeper/historian.
[-] The following 2 users Like Dilly's post:
  • Aphetoros, flammos200
Worgen Druid of the Dark Ancients
Spoiler:
So we know that druids pull their power from both the Emerald Dream and the Ancients,

Quote:Druids are keepers of the world who walk the path of nature following the wisdom of the Ancients and Cenarius, healing and nurturing the world. To a druid, nature is a delicate balance of actions in which even the smallest imbalance can create storming turmoil from peaceful skies. Druids draw their power from this wild energy using it to change their shapes and command the forces of nature.[4] Traditionally, druids chose the path of a specific animal totem, however, since the invasion of the Burning Legion, most druids have undergone a number of reforms including encouraging the study of magic from all totems. Druids who do this are known as druids of the wild.

A bit ago I stumbled on this bit of lore,

[url=http://wowpedia.org/Ancient_guardian#Dark_Ancients Wrote:Wowpedia[/url]]
The Twilight's Hammer feared that the Ancient Guardians may someday rise up to oppose them. They created twisted versions of the Ancients, summoned to replace them. They were a primal force of nature, but their origins were from a darker place. Those who birthed these beasts reached deep into the blackness, channeling powers never intended for this world.[14] The Twilight's Hammer dreamed of creating their own pantheon of twisted ancients to rule over the land, sea, and air,[15] though only two were summoned before the Twilight's Hammer was stopped.

Lycanthoth <The Corruptor>, the dark version of the ancient Goldrinn.
Nemesis <The Usurper>, the dark version of the ancient Tortolla.[/quote]

It would be really interesting to play a druid that focused on the malicious 'dark ancients' as opposed to the ancients we know and love. It seems like they must already exist, seeing as they're summoning them. So the idea of these ancients already exist-- they are simply... forgotten. Buried in the most wild and primal part of the world's reflection. This is NOT a druid of the Nightmare, but rather a druid with all the same abilities of normal druids, and yet... a deep-seated and primal darkness. One could look at it as a balancing act, or they could follow the way of the Twilight's Hammer and use them for evil. Personally, I feel it might be more interesting for a druid in training to uncover the existence of these creatures, and fall under their sway not for evil's sake, but for the sake of maintaining a balance in the world. What's that thing they say? "Without the void, the Light cannot exist." -D'ore

Okay, maybe that's a bad quote to use for the duality of nature, but just look at the Sunwalkers-- balance is necessary, and I could see that being a reason to spread equal recognition of the dark ancients. At least from a character's point of view.

Priest/Necromancer of the Void
Spoiler:
Okay, this one is a little bit of a stretch in terms of Coth-allowability I think, but I'm lethally intrigued by it. I'm going to link sources about the Void first.

So we always hear about the Light as a religion and the Holy Light and the Light side of the Naaru. But... what about the Void? I never quite thought we had so much information about it. I always thought it was just... the antithesis. I was always curious about it, but I suppose with the advent of warlords of draenor and more, we know much much more about it.

Dark Star is a Naaru named K'ara that crash-landed and became 'darkened' in Shadowmoon Valley.

[quote"Wowpedia"]The Shadowmoon clan of orcs discovered the Void after the arrival of the Dark Star, but when necromancy was discovered the clan leaders outlawed the Void's power. In Warlords of Draenor, Ner'zhul has broken those laws for the sake of his clan's safety.[/quote]

This automatically gives me several character ideas. Orc Shadowpriests that are as old as Draenor (I mean, not -really- but old like my character Guldhar. They practiced in secret even though these energies were banned. Or necromancers of the same age.

Now, here's the thing... it's really freaking weird. I know we make necromancers use the class mage. But heck the evidence for priest necromancers is actually quite scary.

Quote:Raising of the Dead
The dark energy serves as a buffer that prevents the souls of the undead from properly joining their bodies. As a result, their souls are imperfectly attached to them.[3]

One of the counsequences of the involvement of Void in the undead's metaphysics is that they only feel faint sensations of pain or discomfort from most physical stimuli. Also, that's why the Light is so painful to their existence.[3]

Quote:Although its energetic nature, it seems to also be a reachable plane of existence; Dimensius the All-Devouring opened gateways to the Void and the Twisting Nether when he invaded K'aresh,[6] while a tear in reality was opened in Manaforge Ultris after it exploded, allowing void creatures to pour in through it.[7] When Sylvannas Windrunner committed suicide in Icecrown Citadel, she found herself in the Darkness, which was described as an infinite void where souls are tortured and tormented.[8] The Val'kyr can reach this dimension and bring back souls from it to the material plane; but the cost of this is to take the place of the returned soul forever.[8]

When a spirit is consumed by the Void, an echo of the soul is all that is left behind. These echoes are not truly "alive" in either the physical or spiritual sense, and are merely twisted reverberations of the anguish of the soul left behind when it was consumed.

We already know there must be a connection between the void an death, because the darkened Naaru are made of void energy and consume spirits, presumably trapping them eternally in the void (unless someone takes their place, presumably, they can only return as an echo. Sylvanas ran into the spirit of Arthas while in the void, as well, and he was a scared little boy-- an echo. The void had already began to consume him, I presume. I believe that had Sylvanas stayed longer, she would have been consumed too.)

So my thought is... a priest worships this Void energy. The darkness of the death, the energy that binds worlds (x). The Orcish necromancers drew on K'ara's darkened energy to raise the dead... this is pure shadow/void energy. I'm still working on this idea in my head. I think I could create a character I really want to play out of it, but I think the thoughts may be able to inspire others, too? I don't really see faith-shadow raised creatures as permanent or long-lasting as arcane ones. They're probably not as effective, deteriorating quickly after the energy leaves them or even simply by the energy itself wreaking havoc on the corpse. It may also be these 'echoes' of consumed souls that allow the dead to be raised.

Hmm...
Now, I've proposed a necromancer who became undead through their own practice, and as is with CotH, that isn't a thing unless you CMC a lich. I could see this changing personally, but again, it would take a bit of work to make it CotHable.

As for the Titan priest, this is why I wanted to make the titan C Lore. Also, look up the Path of the Titans cut lore.

And as for the Priests of the Void, I've never seen someone get a priest necromancer approved before, though I've never seen someone approach it from this angle.

This sort of thing is why my headvanon strongly believes in two different kinds of undead-Arcane/necromantic, and divine/natural undead.
Keep in mind, the process of crearing Fel is by "burning" life energy, leaving by undead husks.Which is a seemingly vital lore tidbit largely ignored by Warcrsft at large, but not enough to discredit it.

To properly explore necromantic priests, I would personally like to see some C lore to explore the relation between necromancy and fel.
PM
(11-28-2014, 11:37 AM)Dae Wrote: Now, I've proposed a necromancer who became undead through their own practice, and as is with CotH, that isn't a thing unless you CMC a lich. I could see this changing personally, but again, it would take a bit of work to make it CotHable.

As for the Titan priest, this is why I wanted to make the titan C Lore. Also, look up the Path of the Titans cut lore.

And as for the Priests of the Void, I've never seen someone get a priest necromancer approved before, though I've never seen someone approach it from this angle.

This sort of thing is why my headvanon strongly believes in two different kinds of undead-Arcane/necromantic, and divine/natural undead.
Keep in mind, the process of crearing Fel is by "burning" life energy, leaving by undead husks.Which is a seemingly vital lore tidbit largely ignored by Warcrsft at large, but not enough to discredit it.

To properly explore necromantic priests, I would personally like to see some C lore to explore the relation between necromancy and fel.

It just makes sense imo that there's some form of divine necromancer-- just with presented lore and with stuff like Auchenai and such.

And WOW, I never knew that about fel. How new is that info? I don't remember seeing it the last time I read that page. :o
The Fel thing is from Sean Copeland's twitter. I'm not entirely sure how credible that is since it hasn't made its way into the game yet, but it's VERY new lore so if they expand on it it'll show up in WoD (or it got cut and that's why it's not currently in WoD).

https://twitter.com/Loreology/status/442542950745001985
https://twitter.com/Loreology/status/442543059088076800

Edit: Apparently the original mention in the Med'an comic series.
PM
That's... really interesting. It almost insinuates that all living beings have an essence of arcane in them and if you take that and destroy it 'burn the life energy' you get fel. Like equivalent exchange, but with two types of similar energy.
Quote:
(11-28-2014, 10:21 AM)Aphetoros Wrote: Worgen Druid of the Dark Ancients
Spoiler:
So we know that druids pull their power from both the Emerald Dream and the Ancients,

Quote:Druids are keepers of the world who walk the path of nature following the wisdom of the Ancients and Cenarius, healing and nurturing the world. To a druid, nature is a delicate balance of actions in which even the smallest imbalance can create storming turmoil from peaceful skies. Druids draw their power from this wild energy using it to change their shapes and command the forces of nature.[4] Traditionally, druids chose the path of a specific animal totem, however, since the invasion of the Burning Legion, most druids have undergone a number of reforms including encouraging the study of magic from all totems. Druids who do this are known as druids of the wild.

A bit ago I stumbled on this bit of lore,

[url=http://wowpedia.org/Ancient_guardian#Dark_Ancients Wrote:Wowpedia[/url]]
The Twilight's Hammer feared that the Ancient Guardians may someday rise up to oppose them. They created twisted versions of the Ancients, summoned to replace them. They were a primal force of nature, but their origins were from a darker place. Those who birthed these beasts reached deep into the blackness, channeling powers never intended for this world.[14] The Twilight's Hammer dreamed of creating their own pantheon of twisted ancients to rule over the land, sea, and air,[15] though only two were summoned before the Twilight's Hammer was stopped.

Lycanthoth <The Corruptor>, the dark version of the ancient Goldrinn.
Nemesis <The Usurper>, the dark version of the ancient Tortolla.

It would be really interesting to play a druid that focused on the malicious 'dark ancients' as opposed to the ancients we know and love. It seems like they must already exist, seeing as they're summoning them. So the idea of these ancients already exist-- they are simply... forgotten. Buried in the most wild and primal part of the world's reflection. This is NOT a druid of the Nightmare, but rather a druid with all the same abilities of normal druids, and yet... a deep-seated and primal darkness. One could look at it as a balancing act, or they could follow the way of the Twilight's Hammer and use them for evil. Personally, I feel it might be more interesting for a druid in training to uncover the existence of these creatures, and fall under their sway not for evil's sake, but for the sake of maintaining a balance in the world. What's that thing they say? "Without the void, the Light cannot exist." -D'ore

Okay, maybe that's a bad quote to use for the duality of nature, but just look at the Sunwalkers-- balance is necessary, and I could see that being a reason to spread equal recognition of the dark ancients. At least from a character's point of view.

Quoting quoted posts messes layouts up...anyway!

I have my doubts the Druid of the Dark Ancients thing would work. The Twilight's Hammer created these guys. Using ancient power, sure, but they're recent constructs to counter the truly ancient...Ancients. There's nothing balanced about them.

That aside, a Twilight's Hammer flame druid, or a dark shaman in their ranks, or a nightmare druid (if that's roll-able) could follow these guys. Just not a regular druid.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
PM
Actually, that tidbit about lore was heavily implied back in Dawn of the Aspects- look on Galakaron's page. Still relatively new, but it looks like they aren't dropping it.

Now, I could see a worgen forsake Goldrinn and considrr following another spirit canine, perhaps intrnding to further shape the dark Ancients in their own image.
PM
(11-28-2014, 03:42 PM)c0rzilla Wrote:
(11-28-2014, 10:21 AM)Aphetoros Wrote: Worgen Druid of the Dark Ancients
<snip>

I think my thought process was something like... they Twilight's Hammer created them out of deep-seated and primal darkness. I'm not exactly sure how to interpret that, but I think at the time I thought that it might be the darkest parts of the subconscious-- maybe the darkest parts of the Emerald Dream. But I would rather view them as dark... not as in evil. As in... wild. Uncontrollably. Savage. The darkest part of one's instincts like murder and thievery. Balance would -probably- be a pretense. I'm not sure. They might not even truly be Ancients yet. They might need to be 'created' in a sense by intense belief in them and unlocking of those dark parts of the subconscious. The word savagekin and primal popped into my head for some reason, suddenly. It's probably way to headcanon custom lore-y, but I find them interesting. Maybe they would become 'idols.' Not real, but able to power the druid through faith? I'm not sure. Interestingly, it could be dark loa posing as dark ancients-- but the fact that they were able to be created with such dark power-- at least two exist that we know of.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Belf Noble Concept SachikoMaeda 4 158 01-15-2015, 11:40 AM
Last Post: SachikoMaeda
  Character Concept in the works Ogbar 1 133 06-17-2014, 05:42 PM
Last Post: Maulbane
  Character Concept - Mildred Blackthorn (Worgen Druid/Harvest Witch) Notaris 4 276 03-17-2014, 12:25 PM
Last Post: Notaris