The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Discipline Priests
Allright.

So priests are versed in divine magic as a whole - perhaps not Shamanism though but that's another story.

So, they can manipulate both Light and Shadow. Most, by conviction, focus on one element. Some also avoid certain elements because of bodily matters - Holy forsaken - or because they were so much exposed to one that the other becomes naturally nigh inaccessible - Shadow Draeneis.

Some priests also decide to use both sides, certainly out of their faith, because they seek to balance, or perhaps have a good grasp on Divine magic, regardless of element.

However, what about Discipline? Is it an element of its own, with or without influence on mastery of holy and shadow? Is it a mix of Holy and Shadow spells? Are there some orders that only follow Discipline and banish the two elements? And what exactly is Discipline?
Allons-y!

[Image: awesome-mario-gif.gif]

Have you hugged a dwarf today?
Discipline spells are still Light.

http://www.wowhead.com/spells=7.5.613
"Every gun..."

[Image: Jonah-Hex-Counting-Corpses-Flaming-Leap.jpg]

"...Makes its own tune."

~ The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly ~
To me, Discipline is the tree of the monk. All the mental fortitude of a priest, they specialize in shielding and igniting the inner fortitude of others. Discipline is "tougher" than Holy or Shadow, it is pure inner strength and inspiration.

Others say Discipline is the tree of the balance priest. That is, Light and Shadow.

I think you can use Discipline to go either way. My priestess is a Discipline priest, only focusing on its holy side. She uses its aspects to guard her mind and soul, rather than just the feel-good sparkly vibes of the Holy tree.

My interpretation, anyway.

And, no Bel! In the talent tree, there's a bit for Mana Burn, which (mechanics wise) is shadow. However, when Anna uses it, I like to pass it off as a manipulation of dispel. Whatever energies dispel consists of.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
Quote:To me, Discipline is the tree of the monk. All the mental fortitude of a priest, they specialize in shielding and igniting the inner fortitude of others. Discipline is "tougher" than Holy or Shadow, it is pure inner strength and inspiration.

Exactly what Anna said. Actually, I myself was going to use the monk example.

They also have a great deal more to do with one's inner willpower. Pain Supression, Inner Focus, Unbreakable Will, Mental Agility, Mental Strength, etc. All of these have to do with self mental control. I'd assume they came from a mastery of the mind.
[Image: c9eda896-b205-41b9-9f52-22b1e122210f.jpg]
Allright. Makes more sense, but I did assume this was a sort of holy off-tree, of sorts. Suppose a Discipline priest might not be interested in either Holy or Shadow magic and just seek more domination and control over her own mind?
Allons-y!

Well, I see it completely different from these two. How I see it, Holy and Shadow Priests reach to different powers, like Na'aru/Void Gods, to get their powers, whereas Discipline Priests are the one reaching itno themselves. See, Disc Priests are Monks, and so I'd imagine that they'd spend their lives cultivating mental strength and faith, while Holy spends their life to whatever deity, and Shadow does their own thing.

Then again, Priests aren't my forte, so don't go completely off of me.
Allright...thanks. But what about the Pandaren monks, are they just more battle-orientated?
Allons-y!

They're completely different, and I wouldn't be the one to talk to about them.
(01-01-2012, 10:06 AM)FlyingSquirrel Wrote: Well, I see it completely different from these two. How I see it, Holy and Shadow Priests reach to different powers, like Na'aru/Void Gods, to get their powers, whereas Discipline Priests are the one reaching itno themselves. See, Disc Priests are Monks, and so I'd imagine that they'd spend their lives cultivating mental strength and faith, while Holy spends their life to whatever deity, and Shadow does their own thing.

Then again, Priests aren't my forte, so don't go completely off of me.

This isn't necessarily true. Not all Holy or Shadow Priests reach into different powers. In fact, Forsaken who make up a large amount of Shadow priests purely believe they are reaching into themselves and no higher power. Humans are the same way. The Light is a philosophy, not a deity to which they claim their power comes from. It changes when you talk about Draenei and Nelf priests but reaching into oneself spans across all three talent trees.

[Image: c9eda896-b205-41b9-9f52-22b1e122210f.jpg]
(01-01-2012, 10:29 AM)Holynexus Wrote: Allright...thanks. But what about the Pandaren monks, are they just more battle-orientated?

Pandaren monks are of a different philosophy that, from what I can tell, believes in the natural energies of good and bad, the Light and Dark, Yin and Yang. They bring this energy into their strikes, focusing their energy similar to Qigong (if you've heard of it) for miraculous healing and devastating martial moves. They use their discipline to, again, focus their energy which looks to be 'chi'. And then of the course the Pandaren Brewmaster, which is just awesome.

Brewmaster - Tanking class
Mistweaver - A healer/damage hybrid class, similar to a Discipline priest
Windwalker - Melee DPS
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
Do they still gather the energies of Holy and Shadow or is it another kind of magic alltogether? I do digress but...I'm wondering.
Allons-y!

Who is "they"? Discipline priests? Nope. It's either holy or shadow, discipline just provides a better mental foundation than either straight holy or shadow. Since, that's what it's about.

Do you mean Pandaren monks? They're a completely different thing. More akin to shamans, I think.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
Different kind of magic. It comes from the natural good and evil within the world, just like the enemies of the Pandaren-- those beings called the Sha.
Ugggh...new lore and new beings, how do the Earthmother, the Loa, the Sha, and all of them even get together in the first place? Anyhow, thanks a lot!
Allons-y!

They're completely separate from each other (as far as we know.)