Kreets

[-]
Latest Threads
"Is the CotH Forum Still Up...?"
Last Post: Rosencrat
11-01-2017 05:12 PM
» Replies: 26
» Views: 36865
RL Picture thread #2 (No vulgar this tim...
Last Post: Stealthscout
01-24-2017 02:42 PM
» Replies: 2491
» Views: 97220
Bingles' Feedback Thread
Last Post: Aethon
01-19-2017 01:32 AM
» Replies: 39
» Views: 39976
Sultanofswing29`s Introduction
Last Post: Sultanofswing29
09-18-2016 08:19 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 31498
Zyga21
Last Post: Maulbane
09-14-2016 07:32 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 25502

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Google AdStuff

Fun With Science!
Today is a science day. Because I said so, and I found neat things.

The Periodic Table of Videos -- From the website: "Tables charting the chemical elements have been around since the 19th century - but this modern version has a short video about each one." Nice, plain-language explanations of each of the elements and experiments and examples of each one! Extra points for the oldest guy's hairdo.

American Science and Surplus -- Wonderful, inexpensive science supplies, military stuff, and miscellaneous errata. I've purchased things from this site before (deep sea fish hand puppets!), and been very pleased.

Mythbusters -- If you haven't seen these guys in action yet, watch some of their videos! Excellent use of the scientific method and safety protocol (unlike some other Discovery channel shows...), and absolutely hilarious and enlightening.

Deep Sea News -- The only blog I have actually sat down and read, and maintained interest in. The guys who do it have an awesome sense of humor, and also share a ton of really interesting information about the deep sea and the people exploring it!

BugGuide.net -- If you're from the United States and you're wondering what kind of bug is sitting on your screen door, freaking out you, your wife, and your cat, this is a wonderful place to look it up! It's also a good place to look at amazing photos of arthropods and talk to crazy entomologists that are not me. Ahem.
[Image: Q1-1.png]

"We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
~Kurt Vonnegut
PM
I love Mythbusters!

But what's that other one where those two guys have that orange van? I can't remember it, and that was cool.
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
PM
You RAGING NERD LOL
Here's some stuff from "The Science of Pretty and Fun" also known as Design.*

The W3School - Learn yo ass some web dev and be the coolest kid on the block because you know what echo does and how to utilize div. Or maybe just the geekiest.

Ad Rants - We see ads every day. It's why we buy dumb stuff. See some ads that work, and some that... really don't work. Impulse buy, then repeat. It's all about the psychology.

Photoshop Disasters - Just funny, but they can get pedantic at times so you might not notice some of what they're talking about.

Illustrator World - The best thing that ever happened to Geometry.

Positive Space - I'm not gonna say this is the best design blog, but I've been getting a lot of pointers and inspiration from this place.

Suggested topics of research:
Propaganda / Psychology / Color Theory / Copywriting / Design Theory

*Design is a Science, not an art. It's actually a cross between the two, but the science aspect is very dominating.
˜★Sketch Blog
TwilightDisciple Wrote:You RAGING NERD LOL

Gasp! I've been found out!

Quote:*Design is a Science, not an art. It's actually a cross between the two, but the science aspect is very dominating.

Quite correct! I know a few artists (and design majors) who get rather heated on this. Sadly, my design skills are really, really rusty. Thank you for the awesome resources!
[Image: Q1-1.png]

"We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
~Kurt Vonnegut
PM
The only thing artists and designers should argue about is the integrity of their moneymaking methods.
˜★Sketch Blog
Couldn't Art be a Science, and Science be an Art?
-(Oops don't want to Derail!)-
Science is fun, and uhh.. I take Advanced Chemistry in Schooll and it's kinda tough!
ಠ_ಠ : Like Fo Fi Cops.
PM
The Exploratorium.

Teach Science

And M.A.S.I.V.E*

PS, the CIA sends got ads in the MASSIVE radio.
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

PM
Touchseed Wrote:Couldn't Art be a Science, and Science be an Art?

It could be, but the thing that separates art from science is (and I know I'm about to hack this up pretty bad) is the purpose it's done for and the process that takes to create it. Having studied both Fine Art and Commercial Design, I've seen the deep differences of two groups that dance together a lot.

Art is created out of pure expression, whereas design is created out of necessity. Design also tends to go on what works, what doesn't work, and experimenting with the unknown to reach a desired result. (Save for the case of Advertising, which you never know what's going to happen, but Advertising is built on a manipulative psychology)

Art, on it's own (I'm sure a lot of you are thinking of cartoons and manga and illustration- I'm not talking about that), is pure expression of the creator or commissioner. It's an expression of life and the exploration of it. It's created without much purpose beyond expression, therapy, or for aesthetic reasons. If it gets results, it's coincidental (wether the creator intended to do so or not).

There is also more room in the design world for pastiche and parodying than there is in the art world because a lot of people revisit what's work and put their own spin on it, where such would get labeled as plagiarism much, much faster. Of course, in neither world, plagarism is a no-no.

I separated illustration from the mix because it's usually art with the intentions of a designer.
˜★Sketch Blog