The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Highs and Lows
My opinion in regards to the first post:

Should players be intimidated by a doomguard? Sure.
Should they be able to solo a healthy doomguard? Not unless they're some demon hunter.
Should a few powerful player characters, say three or four, be able to take out a doomguard. Certainly. By powerful player characters I mean Blood Knights, First War warlocks, experienced mages, stuff like that.

Players have a range of power levels to choose from, ranging from high ranking military officials and powerful warlocks to farmers. Oftentimes the player base already segregates themselves based on this within guilds. Both high and low fantasy is embraceable and as for GM events...

Well, you can't make everyone happy. If most GM's cater to low fantasy events (and I feel that they do from seeing the events that are/have been running on the forums), then perhaps take active steps to make more 'epic' events for those that enjoy playing characters able to smack around more then the average joe? Turn that Doomguard into a beatable boss battle, or even go with a pair of them so that even the most eager player knows that their time to flee has come.
"Do not be fooled if you hear laughter, or happen upon a smile. There is no happiness or merriment here."
(12-18-2012, 03:27 AM)mimloopen Wrote: My opinion in regards to the first post:

Should players be intimidated by a doomguard? Sure.
Should they be able to solo a healthy doomguard? Not unless they're some demon hunter.
Should a few powerful player characters, say three or four, be able to take out a doomguard. Certainly. By powerful player characters I mean Blood Knights, First War warlocks, experienced mages, stuff like that.

Players have a range of power levels to choose from, ranging from high ranking military officials and powerful warlocks to farmers. Oftentimes the player base already segregates themselves based on this within guilds. Both high and low fantasy is embraceable and as for GM events...

Well, you can't make everyone happy. If most GM's cater to low fantasy events (and I feel that they do from seeing the events that are/have been running on the forums), then perhaps take active steps to make more 'epic' events for those that enjoy playing characters able to smack around more then the average joe? Turn that Doomguard into a beatable boss battle, or even go with a pair of them so that even the most eager player knows that their time to flee has come.

You said what I meant to, but much better then I did. You get a like :D
I keep saying this over and over again, but...

WoW isn't as high fantasy as you think it is. Gear has stats on it which is meant to forward gameplay and that is it. If you want to get an idea of how dangerous a zone would be, In-Character, go slap on some vendor white quality gear and weapon with no accessories, and try to aggro 5 mobs the same level as you at once and come out on top. it is possible, maybe, but your HP will be hurting hard and it won't be easy.

Really, the WC3-tier heroes weren't that good either. They could hold their own against a group of 5 guys, but they'd only kill maybe 2 or 3 before dying, depending on the hero class and the mobs they fight. Even at level 10, most heroes weren't meant to take on armies alone.

Warcraft is high fantasy enough that you can be cooler than the average joe, but you're never going to be super-powered.
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
Well, that is also true, now that you mention it. Bah, I guess both sides really do have good points. Long and short of it, nothing in this game should be immortal, since everything should be able to be killed. It might TAKE a lot, but it should be able to.
CappnRob: I'm curious as to what you would classify as high fantasy then? With that description, warcraft would be mid fantasy then?
High fantasy and low fantasy doesn't have to do with the power of a person in the world. High fantasy you are able to do things above and beyond the normal, such as mages and things, but honestly... a farmer is still a farmer.

WoW is -very- high fantasy. The contrast would be something like King Arthur, which only has a few things such as the mysterious Merlin and the Lady of the Lake. Often times High Fantasy creates a whole new world while Low Fantasy is set in ours, and keeps a lot of our world's restrictions in mind.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

/pokes head through the curtains

Just wanting to drop off my pennies, even though they're probably not very insightful and probably been repeated! (Like I'm going to read through 6 pages of posts, haha.)

So, I'm currently playing Mists of Pandaria. Whilst the content is pretty awesome (Pandaria is stunningly beautiful!), I can't help but think to myself "Oh, just saving the world again". This seems to be the only thing Blizzard can do with lore - have your character save the world over and over again.

My point? Well, because we're used to this idea of saving the world constantly and slaughtering EVERYTHING by the dozens, it's easy to lose one's head and expect things like bandits to go down pretty easily. Especially if one's character is a war veteran or something.

Granted, I'm a massive hypocrite. Why? I honestly like playing powerful characters. There's probably a deep psychological explanation revolving around zero self esteem and whatnot, but it tends to just feel good playing strong characters when compared to real life being about as similar as a mountain to a drop of rain. But despite enjoying the stronger characters and feeling important in a fake world, I will say that there's always a limit, and there should always be something your character stands zero chance against, or at least have extreme difficulty with. Circumstances vary, but whatever.

... So yeah. Senseless rambling is senseless! Didn't really come for a debate, just felt like saying something. As you were, CotHlings.

/retreats behind curtain
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."