11-24-2020 06:53 PM
» Replies: 16
» Views: 605
What is glistening
Last Post: Xigo
08-17-2020 10:19 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 3875
You are a fond memory. Good night, CoTH...
Last Post: CappnRob
05-01-2020 08:05 PM
» Replies: 32
» Views: 87727
You Can't Go Home Again
Last Post: Scout
03-15-2019 09:24 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 3234
"Years of Service" Awards
Last Post: Maulbane
05-26-2018 09:58 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 3478

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Google AdStuff

I can draw gudz.
Got myself one of those fancy drawing tablets.. This is the result.
Spoiler:
[Image: Kirby-1.jpg]
.. Raise your hand up in the air if your eyes started to spontaneously bleed!

In all seriousness, tips for drawing? Anything to keep in mind, any tricks for the sizes and stuff? I'm hoping to draw faces at some point, but I can't even get the outline shape of one right. Using a trial of Autodesk Sketchbook atm, with the tablet came 3 choices; Photoshop Elements, Autodesk sketchbook stuff, or Corel Painter sketchpad. Any recommendations? What do you guys use?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Psychyn's post:
  • Harmonic
PM
I'd give you tips and tricks...

But my drawing are terrible. I do everything the wrong way, starting with the fact I draw with a freaking mouse in MS point. The only thing I can offer to you, is to try to learn how to start out drawing correctly, by using the "Skeletons" (I don't know what to call them! Real artists please make fun of me here), to be able to get your proportions correct before the actual drawing. That is something I never do.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

PM
Just noticed I somehow managed to delete his right thumb before I uploaded it. Oh well. I did get myself one of those fancy pencil things as well, it's a whole different feeling then a mouse. I'll give you that, but already liking it more then pencils and gums. ^^
PM
A lot of people start by copying other pictures. It's a good way to get a feel of the pencil and your abilities.

Also, you should've gotten one of those drawing tablets with the name that escapes me right now. It's actually a clipboard coupled with a special pencil. you clip a paper onto the clipboard and draw on it normally, then you can plug the clipboard to the computer by USB and upload the pictures you've drawn. So you're getting the pictures both on PC and on paper. Then again, that's just normal drawing while skipping the scanning to get it on your PC.
[Image: 293D4BE4-7170-4C2A-B8BF-7EA572513EBD.jpg]
Spoiler:
[Image: Lazuri65.png]
PM
(12-06-2012, 07:43 AM)Roxas65 Wrote: Also, you should've gotten one of those drawing tablets with the name that escapes me right now. It's actually a clipboard coupled with a special pencil. you clip a paper onto the clipboard and draw on it normally, then you can plug the clipboard to the computer by USB and upload the pictures you've drawn. So you're getting the pictures both on PC and on paper. Then again, that's just normal drawing while skipping the scanning to get it on your PC.

The Wacom Inkling! I considered getting one myself.

Tablets take forever to get used to. And Photoshop is a beast to conquer. It'll take some time to get used to. I've been using Photoshop for about six years now and I still don't quite know all the tricks. Keep to it and I'm sure you'll turn out some great stuff :D
[Image: KceuhuX.gif][Image: eKcKrrq.png]
I am tech support

[4:16:27 PM] Cristovao di Silvio ( @CappnRob): theres the bar. then theres the bottom of the barrel, then theres you sachi
Are you looking for recommendations for programs or actual drawing? If the second: anatomy, anatomy, anatomy. Study it. Study the skeleton, the muscles over the skeleton.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
PM
I did indeed see those! But I figured that "Hey, I got a scanner already" so anything I'd sketch on paper (which I'm horrible at) I might as well do it straight to the computer. Now I don't need to bother with pencil points and all that, as I can just select it in the program. Can alter the pencil as well to suit my needs though haven't found a way to make it respond as fast as my mouse yet. Got one of those Intuos things instead after seeing a review on youtube about it.

I'll get used to it. I think I could even lay a sketch paper on this, then move the pencil over it to copy it but I don't think that'll help me draw much better.

Spoiler:
[Image: Dog.jpg]

Recommendations for programs and drawing! Basically ideas, basic stuff to draw, good ways to improve and so forth.

Look, it's a dawg. Don't ask me what kind it is apart from a horribly sick poor little thing.
PM
There's a number of free programs that are good, my preferred one is an older version of SAI that's released for free.

That being said I don't know if my table is like any of the others. While some have screens, mine is just a flat surface you plug into the computer and have sit on your desk. I draw with it so much so I guess I got used to the eye-hand coordination with it but at this point I can't really draw on paper that well.
My recommendation for you is to internalize and familiarize with shapes. And I'm not just talking geometric shapes like circles and squares.

Our brains identify objects through shapes put together that lead to texture, size, color, etc. We look at faces, we recognize them because of specific variations of the shapes placed onto them. A computer is made up of mostly rectangles with a few circles. People have a lot of ellipses, triangles, rectangles, and curves. By recognizing the shapes, it's easier to put together a frame that'll shape your image.

How you intend to draw these shapes depends on if you wish to draw landscapes, inanimate objects, or life drawings.

I can link you various tutorials on which you can start with. Here is one on how to draw faces: http://www.dragoart.com/tuts/8380/1/1/ho...-faces.htm
[Image: 3HQ8ifr.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like ImagenAshyun's post:
  • SachikoMaeda, Psychyn
First tip from me would be to draw something simple, things you got laying around. That's kind of how I started and then I had art classes. That is a good way to get the feel of drawing in general.

Try not running before walking because you may fall in your face. Your drawings can turn out bad and you may get really upset about it. Or that's what most beginners do and then decide not to draw again. I think that's a thing that ruins many artists and it's pretty sad.

Have someone to show your drawings. It's preferable if he or she is a bit cynical (but not cynical enough to make fun of the drawings). He will point out your mistakes and put you on the right track as much as he/she can. If you're friends it's even better.

I am using Corel but I know most if not everyone around here use SAI. I am such a hipster. About Photoshop, I know someone that uses it and says it's very good, didn't try myself. I don't know about any others.

I use a different color background, any color that isn't white because it fills my imagination and keeps me going. I don't know how people can start drawing off a white background..

Andrew Loomis is God. I mean.. You should read his books.

I don't think I am a good teacher, that for I don't make tutorials and stuff.
[Image: pj3isZU.gif]

[Image: 43883.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sorum's post:
  • Vladdy
PM
Quote:I use a different color background, any color that isn't white because it fills my imagination and keeps me going. I don't know how people can start drawing off a white background..

I really echo this statement. When I'm ready to start most of my drawings, I get rid of the white background and normally use a dull grey color. To me, it makes it easier to stay looking at the screen and focus when it's not so bright. White gets very numbing to look at after a while. I know I found myself able to draw longer once I took out the white background.

I started out drawing objects that had basic lines I could follow. I used to have lionking curtains that were very simple in the design, so I'd try to mimic the lines around the object and not the object itself. I don't go "I'm drawing the head of the cat", I go "I'm going to draw this angular line to connect with the lines I've already made which will form the shape of a cat."

...Really all I can do is echo Sorum's advice.
PM
Thanks, I appreciate all the help! I briefly had a look at SIA and boy, it looks complicated. I'll remember it for when I reach that level, for now I'm doodling about. I also told myself that each reply deserves a doodle, so meet a guy behind a shield. (The shield is so heavy, he requires both hands! .. I didn't know how to draw arrms) With a Santa hat!

And Immy's shapes.
Spoiler:
Don't kill me.

Spoiler:
[Image: Shapessanta1.jpg]

For my own memory; Comic regarding Allaia as elf mage who goes FWOOSH, Cassie with a santa hat and shield, some hairy bugger because every comic needs a dorf, and possibly a troll.
[-] The following 2 users Like Psychyn's post:
  • ImagenAshyun, Caravan
PM
Something really useful too is to utilize free brushes/utilities for your program of choice. Ever since I installed Photoshop CS5 for free because I'm a pirate durrdurrdurr I forgot to go grab some useful brushes and such. There's also plenty of tutorials laying around on the internet. If you want books, there's plenty about on the internet. I keep a few from the How to Draw Manga series around the house as well as a copy of Stephen Rogers Peck's Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist on hand.

(I link to DeviantArt since it's pretty much a stockpile of useful information that's free, though there's other sources)
[Image: KceuhuX.gif][Image: eKcKrrq.png]
I am tech support

[4:16:27 PM] Cristovao di Silvio ( @CappnRob): theres the bar. then theres the bottom of the barrel, then theres you sachi
[-] The following 1 user Likes SachikoMaeda's post:
  • Psychyn
(12-06-2012, 11:08 AM)Psychyn Wrote:
Spoiler:
Don't kill me.

I can't kill you. I'm dying first. Of laughter.
[Image: 3HQ8ifr.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes ImagenAshyun's post:
  • Aethon
Nothing to see here!

Spoiler:
[Image: Loveboat1.jpg]

.. Don't draw at 3 am. .. I promise I'll do a more serious attempt soon.
[-] The following 2 users Like Psychyn's post:
  • SachikoMaeda, Ormica
PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm still alive...and I draw stuff? Aethon 2 157 01-14-2015, 08:19 AM
Last Post: Aethon
  Im Ironside and I Draw Things Ironside 8 549 11-03-2013, 04:56 PM
Last Post: Nymus
  Djura can't draw either! Djura 2 203 07-20-2013, 02:54 PM
Last Post: WingedReaver
  Rowgen Can't Draw Rowgen 12 472 07-20-2013, 01:57 PM