08-26-2020 08:16 AM
» Replies: 15
» Views: 360
What is glistening
Last Post: Xigo
08-17-2020 10:19 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 2648
You are a fond memory. Good night, CoTH...
Last Post: CappnRob
05-01-2020 08:05 PM
» Replies: 32
» Views: 85254
You Can't Go Home Again
Last Post: Scout
03-15-2019 09:24 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 2217
"Years of Service" Awards
Last Post: Maulbane
05-26-2018 09:58 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 3396

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Google AdStuff

I'm a bit shy to ask this, but...
I hope to find historical/cultural RP. But not just any historical/cultural RP, but the kind that is native in other countries/social groups.

Okay, an elaboration: I write period fantasy fiction, and while I do a lot of research, I still find holes in said research due to my location and limited resources. A good number of my settings take place in England, France, Italy, etc., but I am an American who relies on the internet to get any research done... and even when I do find something, a lot of the context is lost on me as I am not given the general basics. For example, I do a lot of research on writing and developing my characters who were born and raised in the Ottoman Empire... but as long as I don't have the context of what was life back then in the Ottoman Empire that lead to the Empire's formation, plus anything regarding Islam that affected everyday life, then all you got of my characters are shallow shells of what is obviously created by a Filipino-American--regardless of the fact that I have been writing, researching, and developing these characters since 2001.

I am not looking for anyone and anything specific; I can RP historical RP in a setting I'm not writing in. If the religion of the characters is different, I'm more than happy to try it out too. I'm a very open person who loves being exposed to other countries, and I absolutely miss travelling. I just hope to RP something different.

Why am I shy to ask this? Because one time, I made a booboo regarding English history and was mercilessly mocked and bullied for it, especially with some of the most hurtful insults ever thrown to an American teenager (at the time). Since then, learning about other cultures has become one of my life's missions when it comes to creative works, and I hope to learn more to avoid looking like a dumb ignorant tourist just because I know nothing of another country.
[Image: 3HQ8ifr.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes ImagenAshyun's post:
  • Rini
Learning history is a...journey to say the least. I'm a huge history nerd but I'm still stuck in the basics, because there's a lot in the world to understand before I move forward and look at more specific historical events and what led to them. I think that's where historical fiction becomes entertaining to read and write.

As for RP, I'm open to something like that. It'd take a ton of research and caution, but learning about specific peoples is something that I'm interested in doing, perhaps as a career. I'm open to exploring it however I can.

In the end, the long and grueling process of researching becomes fruitful, whether you're writing historical fiction or interweaving culture into your characters (something I do here and there in this setting).

As for cultures native to a specific area, there's so many places to choose from, and kind of becomes difficult. Right now I'm researching Swahili culture in East Africa, but I'm also learning more about the Ottoman empire in one of my classes; it's an interesting era and I can see where you can get some rich characterization from it. I wouldn't mind developing a character inspired by such a cosmopolitan empire.
[Image: anim_500.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Geoni's post:
  • ImagenAshyun
PM
Jewish trader, Stephan lipko here, born around the time of Napoleon the Third and who is with good ties with said Napoleon, since I am the one who has a fleet of a hundred ships and they sail to China to get the tea to the right places or to africa to get their precious diamonds. I am the one who began the Lipko family and now my great decendant is writing this message to you.

(This means I would RP with you, this would take place from 1870 till 1917, that is when Vladimir Lenin began his communistic republic and all of his ships was taken from him, because of communism. The only thing left from him, is a picture crafted from metal. A picture of his ship sailing in a Storm.)

I could take you from 1000 BC until 40 AC. It would all take place around Eastern Europe and Asia.
I can also RP during the rise of Bismarck, the one who united Germany and other events throughout Europe. I can also do Europe and Asia during the world war 1. Currently I am studying the second.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stealthscout's post:
  • ImagenAshyun
PM
I can take you through Germany 1929-45 or Medieval England/Europe 1465-1525, if you'd like. I love history, and I'd love to be able to do historical RP.
[Image: RtK7PiZ.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zhaei's post:
  • ImagenAshyun
PM
I'm good at Mongolian history.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nymus's post:
  • ImagenAshyun
(09-28-2013, 02:17 PM)Nymus Wrote: I'm good at Mongolian history.

We should roleplay sometime.
Spoiler:
THERE IS NO POINT TO BE ALIVE, IF YOU CAN'T DO DEADLIFT.
[Image: jon_pall_sigmarsson_b35428d97635b2e7c405...2df3c3.gif]

Spoiler:
[Image: SQ0XvlU.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Altaine's post:
  • ImagenAshyun
PM
This is why I hate having -JUST- a general overview of history as a whole, and not research into a specific area.
EDIT: If you want though Immy, my sister recently got her associate's degree in history, I could go ahead and direct some questions towards her.
Hand me some feedback!
Spoiler:
Quote:I don’t want you to protest,
I don’t want you to riot,
I don’t want you to write to your congressman because I wouldn’t know what to tell you to write.
I don’t know what to do about the depression and
the inflation and the crime in the Streets.
All I know is that first, you’ve got to get mad.

You’ve got to say:
I’m a Human being God damn it !
*MY LIFE HAS VALUE!*
[-] The following 2 users Like Noble's post:
  • ImagenAshyun, Altaine
PM
(09-28-2013, 02:33 PM)Altaine Wrote:

I was actually gonna make an Orcish warlord (khan) called Tamukrag (terrible Orcish version of Temujin) but:

1: Seemed a bit Gary Stu'ish to me.

2: Couldn't find any armor to fit Genghis' look in Civ 5 (which I consider to be the best Genghis I've seen, even though the only true pictures of him are really old... although there are those huge statues in Ulaanbaatar...)

Spoiler:
[Image: genghis_mongol.jpg]

(09-28-2013, 11:28 AM)ImagenAshyun Wrote: For example, I do a lot of research on writing and developing my characters who were born and raised in the Ottoman Empire... but as long as I don't have the context of what was life back then in the Ottoman Empire that lead to the Empire's formation, plus anything regarding Islam that affected everyday life

@WingedReaver

Sounds like a job for you, bro.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nymus's post:
  • Altaine
(09-28-2013, 07:39 PM)Nymus Wrote:

I was actually gonna make an Orcish warlord (khan) called Tamukrag (terrible Orcish version of Temujin) but:

2: Couldn't find any armor to fit Genghis' look in Civ 5 (which I consider to be the best Genghis I've seen, even though the only true pictures of him are really old... although there are those huge statues in Ulaanbaatar...)

Spoiler:

(09-28-2013, 11:28 AM)ImagenAshyun Wrote: For example, I do a lot of research on writing and developing my characters who were born and raised in the Ottoman Empire... but as long as I don't have the context of what was life back then in the Ottoman Empire that lead to the Empire's formation, plus anything regarding Islam that affected everyday life

@WingedReaver

I knew you were a one who goes full autocracy. It's a shame we come down to this /strike you down with my sword.
PM
(09-28-2013, 07:46 PM)Stealthscout Wrote:

Spoiler:

@WingedReaver

I knew you were a one who goes full autocracy. It's a shame we come down to this /strike you down with my sword.

[Image: civ1.jpg]

Immy, Gandhi actually had nuclear weapons in real history, little does the world know he was a tyrannical despot who had Shakespeare in his court. Also that he lived to be ~6000 years old.
[-] The following 2 users Like Nymus's post:
  • Stealthscout, Altaine
(09-28-2013, 07:47 PM)Nymus Wrote:
(09-28-2013, 07:46 PM)Stealthscout Wrote:

Spoiler:

@WingedReaver

[Image: civ1.jpg]

Immy, Gandhi actually had nuclear weapons in real history, little does the world know he was a tyrannical despot who had Shakespeare in his court. Also that he lived to be ~6000 years old.

Dear Nymus.

While you wrote this message I took your settlers, builders and I pillaged your tiles.

Love you, the barbarians.
PM
(09-28-2013, 12:53 PM)Geoni Wrote: Learning history is a...journey to say the least. I'm a huge history nerd but I'm still stuck in the basics, because there's a lot in the world to understand before I move forward and look at more specific historical events and what led to them. I think that's where historical fiction becomes entertaining to read and write.

As for RP, I'm open to something like that. It'd take a ton of research and caution, but learning about specific peoples is something that I'm interested in doing, perhaps as a career. I'm open to exploring it however I can.

In the end, the long and grueling process of researching becomes fruitful, whether you're writing historical fiction or interweaving culture into your characters (something I do here and there in this setting).

As for cultures native to a specific area, there's so many places to choose from, and kind of becomes difficult. Right now I'm researching Swahili culture in East Africa, but I'm also learning more about the Ottoman empire in one of my classes; it's an interesting era and I can see where you can get some rich characterization from it. I wouldn't mind developing a character inspired by such a cosmopolitan empire.

It is certainly a journey, a journey I enjoy embarking wherever I go. I kind of see historical research for storytelling like treasure seeking; you explore places and ideas until you find gold. Not long ago, I found very valuable information regarding Philippine history that was previously not available when I was actually living in the Philippines, so you can imagine how happy I was to find it despite spending many years searching for this information.

I barely know much about the Swahili; the African culture I'm currently focusing on is that of the Akan people on the Gold Coast, especially the Asante subculture. However, I grew up with Swahili folk tales, and I am familiar with their art. I'm also learning about the Ottoman Empire, but if you're learning this in your class, you'd likely know far more than I would at current xD

I have a handful of characters from the Ottoman era. I am more than happy to try RPing with you on a story from this period :)

(09-28-2013, 12:58 PM)Stealthscout Wrote: Jewish trader, Stephan lipko here, born around the time of Napoleon the Third and who is with good ties with said Napoleon, since I am the one who has a fleet of a hundred ships and they sail to China to get the tea to the right places or to africa to get their precious diamonds. I am the one who began the Lipko family and now my great decendant is writing this message to you.

(This means I would RP with you, this would take place from 1870 till 1917, that is when Vladimir Lenin began his communistic republic and all of his ships was taken from him, because of communism. The only thing left from him, is a picture crafted from metal. A picture of his ship sailing in a Storm.)

I could take you from 1000 BC until 40 AC. It would all take place around Eastern Europe and Asia.
I can also RP during the rise of Bismarck, the one who united Germany and other events throughout Europe. I can also do Europe and Asia during the world war 1. Currently I am studying the second.

GIMME GIMME GIMME GIMME!! I want it all!!

(09-28-2013, 01:03 PM)Zhaei Wrote: I can take you through Germany 1929-45 or Medieval England/Europe 1465-1525, if you'd like. I love history, and I'd love to be able to do historical RP.

Medieval RP sounds very interesting, but I am intrigued with Germany 1929-45 as well. I don't have any characters at this time, but I am interested in creating one just for this. Of course, I could give Medieval RP a shot as well :)

Oh, wonderful! CappnRob and I are working on a Mongolian character of his for one of our stories, but sadly, I'm lacking in Mongolian history myself. This could surely help me :)

(09-28-2013, 03:14 PM)Noble Wrote: This is why I hate having -JUST- a general overview of history as a whole, and not research into a specific area.
EDIT: If you want though Immy, my sister recently got her associate's degree in history, I could go ahead and direct some questions towards her.

I wouldn't bother her with actual questions unless I have something specific. However, I am interested on what are her resources and how she accesses them. A good number of websites I find tend to be of dubious nature, and oftentimes the only good ones I find are from foreign websites. If she is able to relay her resources, that would be fantastic :)

(09-28-2013, 07:47 PM)Nymus Wrote: [Image: civ1.jpg]

AAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAAH!!! This is funny because I'm currently studying Shakespeare as one of my university courses xD

ANYWAY!! If you don't have my Skype, it's 'imagenashyun'. Hook me up when you can!
[Image: 3HQ8ifr.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes ImagenAshyun's post:
  • Geoni
(09-28-2013, 08:56 PM)Stealthscout Wrote: Dear Nymus.

While you wrote this message I took your settlers, builders and I pillaged your tiles.

Love you, the barbarians.

[Image: chris-farley-son-of-a-b***h-o.gif]

(09-28-2013, 09:15 PM)ImagenAshyun Wrote: AAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAAH!!! This is funny because I'm currently studying Shakespeare as one of my university courses xD

ANYWAY!! If you don't have my Skype, it's 'imagenashyun'. Hook me up when you can!

[Image: civility_28-10-10.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like Nymus's post:
  • QuantumLegacy, Altaine
Gandhi is always a dick in Civ. He will ally with you only to turn on you during another war.
Wow. Sometimes I forget the past.
PM
I can't promise a consistent feeling to skype RPs, but I can offer a few stages of historical nonsense.

France during the Hundred Years' War, Prussia during the Seven Years' War, and generally Frederick the Great's reign.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zenethen's post:
  • ImagenAshyun
PM