The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

"I wear a mask, so you can't tell I'm a thief."
This is something I've seen with increasing frequency, there are (rogues mostly) going around masked in Stormwind because "they want to remain anonymous" or "because they don't want to be recognized", and it made me scratch my head. You know who also wears masks a lot?

These guys:
[Image: Acolyte.gif][Image: defias_knuckleduster.jpg]

Am I the only one who thinks it's ever so slightly odd that people are going around masked "because they want to remain anonymous?" One would think that with the scourge acolytes out there, defias criminals, burning blade fanatics, Horde/Alliance assassins (depending on side. ;P), you wouldn't even be able to pass through the -gates- while wearing a mask.

Yes, a mask preserves your identity. But you try getting on an airplane while wearing a mask; you'll likely get arrested before you can even so much as sneeze. Likewise, it seems to me that if you were wearing a mask in the middle of Stormwind, you'd get every single crime commited in a five hundred yard radius pinned on you.

What's everybody else's thoughts on this? o.o
I think with the crazy amount of people with hoods and face-covering helmets, a mask is a fairly minor thing. Maybe they want to keep the wind out of their delicate faces?

Move him into the sun—
Gently its touch awoke him once,
At home, whispering of fields half-sown.
Always it woke him, even in France,
Until this morning and this snow.
If anything might rouse him now
The kind old sun will know.

Think how it wakes the seeds,—
Woke, once, the clays of a cold star.
Are limbs, so dear-achieved, are sides,
Full-nerved—still warm—too hard to stir?
Was it for this the clay grew tall?
—O what made fatuous sunbeams toil
To break earth’s sleep at all?
[Image: 62675bf4fd.jpg] [Image: 0e7357dcfe.jpg]
I don't think it's odd to wear a mask for other proffessions than assassin, thief or bandit.

Alchemists would likely be wearing a mask would they be working with dangerous toxins among other things. Not only Alchemists but Engineers and Blacksmiths could also be likely to wear mask to prevent inhalation of smoke and other ill gasses. Walking around in a city with a mask might be slightly conspicuous but they aren't only used to hide identities.
Little by little, one travels far.
Seconded on the alchemist/engineer/blacksmith thing. :) And I am indeed guilty of this, Piken never removes his mask, even when drinking or anything like that. I won't say his reasoning, but he always keeps it on no matter what. Of course, with his get-up and all, it could be said he's trying to be Defias or something, which is incorrect.. I doubt anyone's thought that, but just bringing it up because I like talking about myself. :D I just love the way he looks in it. xD So bad ass.

But, thing is, if guards would really react in such a way to people wearing masks(if a GM wants to say how guards would react, or something) people can just be willing to get framed for random crimes that are happening. Hell.. Piken may even admit to them just because. ^.^ But as cliche as masks are and can be, there can be a good amount of reasons why someone's wearing them. Maybe they're a leper and don't want people seeing their face, etc? Now, of course, I'm not saying everyone has a real, hardcore legit reason, but y'know, you could always bring it up ICly. And see why and make RP out of it! Little things like that are always fun to bring up IC. :D

And I do forgive if I went completely nowhere with that.. I tend to do that. Short attention span. <nod>
Frogspawned: RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!
Frogspawned: Frogspawned flips a table.
Frogspawned: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

FROG, STOP FLIPPING TABLES. YOU'RE MAKING A MESS.

Frogspawned: ┬─┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
I agree with this completely.

If you're an assassin, surely you'd wear the mask on the job (aka not in the city(, then just take it off when you go around in a city? If you don't wear a mask on the job, and you go around wearing a mask in the city, the guards would most likely think "Oh hey, he's wearing mask, there must be SOME reason he's doing that, maybe it's related to the fifty murders this month!"

Whereas if you wore a mask on the job and simply took it off when going into cities, the guards won't go "Holy crap it's that thief", because they won't know what you looked like. There are thieves, murderers, and other criminals, everywhere. Guards are always alert. Guards aren't going to simply ignore a person with a mask walking past, they should be taking them in for questioning. There's always a case of murder or thievery or whatever trying to be solved. Always.

But this is just my 2 cents.
Errata Wrote:I don't think it's odd to wear a mask for other proffessions than assassin, thief or bandit.

Alchemists would likely be wearing a mask would they be working with dangerous toxins among other things. Not only Alchemists but Engineers and Blacksmiths could also be likely to wear mask to prevent inhalation of smoke and other ill gasses. Walking around in a city with a mask might be slightly conspicuous but they aren't only used to hide identities.
Well yes, this is true, but why would they keep it on if they're not messing with harmful substances? AKA, when they're not working?

Again, this is my 2 cents.

EDIT: Well maybe they won't take them in for questioning ASAP, but they would certainly be keeping a watchful eye on you.
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
Wearing a mask would seem conspicuous to the authorities and you'd get stopped a lot and asked to identify yourself in a lawful city, especially considering the fact it is a time of war. I think you could get by with it in the goblin cities though.
Before I post, I skipped all the responses here. My bandit wears a mask only when he is out robbing people. In fact, most of the time he is in the wilderness anyway.

I have seen people wear masks, particularly the red variety in cities where that color isn't very popular. The reasoning for wearing them is not very good. That is all.

Edit: I read more. There is really no reasoning as to why you are wearing a mask in a city, in public. The only one I can possibly think of is that your character isn't trying to breathe in anything. I challenge you all to walk into your local convenience store, 7-11 should suffice, and wear a ski mask over your face. (Or any other face concealment device) If you are still alive at the end of this experiment, you can try again with a hood or similiar headgear apparatus.

That is all x2.
ಠ_ಠ : Like Fo Fi Cops.
Eek! Maya used to wear a red defias mask until she was caught by Arnold running out of Stormwind. At the time I was a beginner and didn't pay much attention to it and then I thought how good the player was for noticing this thing. :mrgreen:

Maybe other masks would be allowed up to some point with little doubt from the city's guardians but I highly advise against the red defias mask because one would obviously consider your standing with the defias group. Specially in areas where they opperate: Westfall, Elwynn Forest, Duskwood, Dustwallow Marsh.

I used to have a good excuse for it saying something like: ''But there are so few other masks for low level players and I'd really like to make it part of her Rp gear.'' Not anymore, Kret added that npc who sells a lot of them which come in various colors.
"Educate yourself in the art of true metal."
"From the Heaven of My Heart" & "Silver Bride" - Amorphis (Skyforger)

"Beyond the Stars"
~ Head over to our own subforum on CotH Worlds and enjoy. ^^
The only character of mine that wore any form of a hood or mask was Aliaress who wore a green face-wrap.

[Image: indian_women.jpg]

She wore it for protection of weather(Many days she was normally within forests so when coming into an open city, the elements tend to irritate/bug her.), to help keep her hair from her face, and because it generally made her feel beautiful. While talking to people who would indeed pull the face-mask part down, or even undo it, allowing it to lay on her shoulders.
[Image: anigif_mobile_9893b2566588ab845c7985f71769a9f2-7.gif]
Loz is definitely guilty of the mask wearing felony. Although he's a young trainee roguey-troll who wants to impress so wearing 'uniform' as much as he can falls into his to-do list.

Although I'm sure he gets looks from goblins around ratchet when lurking around,
Yukai the Spiritwalker; Answers come in my sleep.
Look at me! I can shamelessly link my storythread too!
My orc Zomm covers numerous shadowmoon and stormreaver tattoos under his leather and even his hood-mask combo
[Image: lich_king_signature_by_wyrx-d3jo9rm.png]
Errr... okay. Let's not turn this into a ''what my character is wearing'' thing.

I should also point out that the Syndicate group which operates in Arathi Highlands, Alterac Mountains and Hillsbrad Foothills are also wearing a mask as their emblem. This one's rather orange/pale light brown. Do take this into consideration when walking around there wearing something like that as you might be seen hostile by some groups and even players whom have knowledge of the Syndicate.

Lord Falconcrest (Leader), Syndicate Assassin, Syndicate Magus, Syndicate Shadow Mage and many others.

"Beyond the Stars"
Alchemists can't wear masks when they are not on the job, but Gnomes can wear goggles? That's odd!

(Gnomes are work-a-holics though, they always wear 'em, so the mask thing might not apply for them if they are alchemist!)
Mabra Dragonbasher- A battle hungry dwarven lady, hirable for personal protection and for larger tasks requiring violence.
I doubt anyone would have anything against gnomes wearing the goggles. ;p
They're no threat and they are not concealing much. As long as it's not one of Wink's TurboGogglesXTreme5000. xD

"Beyond the Stars"
My point was that some characters use maks to cover certain features. Not to say a what my character's wearing.
Sorry if I was unclear.
[Image: lich_king_signature_by_wyrx-d3jo9rm.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suggestions for RP wear venixblast 11 1,596 04-19-2011, 02:13 PM
Last Post: Ralero