The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Inactivity as of late - Feedbacks!
You sure that isn't the siren song of nostalgia-tinted goggles? I'm not keen on jumping back right when we just opened Cataclysm.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
When I restart a game, the experience is just...lackluster to me. I've been there, done that all before and it stops being fun and just feels like I'm repeating something that was fine to begin with. It's not really a re-birth, it's a repetition of rebuilding it all up to try to look as pretty as it was before, only to get frustrated at the smallest detail that's off from the original.

Not to mention, restarting to vanilla would remove blood elves, worgen, goblins and dreanei from the game. A lot of people main these races. I'm not fond of the idea of pretty much saying "No, you can't play your main anymore because we're no longer at an expansion where they are around in lore."
(10-16-2013, 09:43 AM)Reigen Wrote: Not to mention, restarting to vanilla would remove blood elves...

There's always high elves! Eh?! EH?!
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
But now you get the joy of roleplaying blood elves HATED BY EVERYO-

... Wait, nothing changes.

Sorry, bad racial joke.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
(10-16-2013, 09:45 AM)c0rzilla Wrote:
(10-16-2013, 09:43 AM)Reigen Wrote: Not to mention, restarting to vanilla would remove blood elves...

There's always high elves! Eh?! EH?!

We all know the admin's stance on High Elves :|
Jumping all the way back to Vanilla is something I'm definitely iffy about, but backtracking a wee bit isn't something I'm opposed to. As far as I'm concerned, there are always ways to explain the things you lose in the later expansions in order to build your character up again from a fresh perspective. For people like me, who have no inspiration left because everything I tried to do is done and over with and there's just no going back to the characters I once enjoyed, this sort of opportunity would be amazing. It'd give me a chance to do things over again and do them right, instead of them being lost forever because no amount of retconning will bring the character or the storyline back when we're way, way past the point where it actually happened.

Not to mention we could freshen up the lore and take our characters through the WoW storyline without having to write it into a profile to say it happened. Playing through the Death Knight storyline in real-time? Man, that would be -awesome-.
You bring up valid points which I have no satisfactory remedy. Losing those races will suck, but you'll get to play them again -eventually-. People should try new things in the mean time. And of course I'm looking at it through nostalgia tinted goggles - that's the whole point. Nostalgia isn't a bad thing. It is a tool to be used (NINTENDO!!!!!!!!).

I personally just feel that shaking things up -hard- is worth a shot, because right now, adding new floors to the building that is CotH doesn't seem to have done much. It's just an idea, nothing more.
[Image: yEKW9gB.png]
Backtracking to anything before cata still means people lose their goblin and worgen characters.

Quote:Losing those races will suck, but you'll get to play them again -eventually-. People should try new things in the mean time.

Why force them to play something they might not want too? =/
Although I encourage people to try new things and explore outside-the-box ideas, a forced reset isn't something I think will benefit CotH. The server may seem quieter lately, but that doesn't mean that there aren't storylines ongoing that people have put a lot of time and work into.

CotH has undergone several restarts, but there are people who've kept certain characters basically the same since their conception. That's not a bad thing. A completely clean slate across the board is something that's never been enforced as such, and truth told, I don't think it ever should be.

As someone who's undergone several personal character overhauls, I know the benefits it can bring, but I don't think it should ever be imposed upon those who don't want it.

Retcons are solutions to irresolvable conflicts, and they're not really appropriate for fixing the problems people allege CotH is facing.
(10-16-2013, 09:55 AM)Reigen Wrote: Backtracking to anything before cata still means people lose their goblin and worgen characters.

Quote:Losing those races will suck, but you'll get to play them again -eventually-. People should try new things in the mean time.

Why force them to play something they might not want too? =/

They'd still have 8 other races to choose from. 10 if we went back to TBC. Maybe more if we got a wild hair up our bums and became 'experimental'.

Regardless, this is a subject better discussed in it's own separate thread. Which I am not going to make since I feel this idea was just that - an idea, not a demand or request, and should be taken with a grain of salt.
[Image: yEKW9gB.png]
I am actually in RP at the moment so I won't make this an overly long post. But a hard-reset? Seems overly excessive. It is not like people aren't logging into the server at all, it is not like no storylines are going on. Making people lose characters, possibly main characters they enjoy RPing with the message "You'll get to play them eventually again" seems off to me. If the place had been literally dead for a week, a week without RP, without anyone logging in at all. Maybe? Some people have had certain toons for years and years, and enjoy playing them. Forcing them into different toons isn't going to help them RP more, or go out into other things, I'd argue that it'll kill their desire to RP entirely.

We got the Worgen now, we got the Goblins. We should keep them and look into a different solution. I have my own theory (as usual) on why things aren't really as bustling as they used to be, but I can't type them out fast enough to do that and not interrupt my RP! Brb'
I would abhor a total restart, but there's merit to what Clovis says- on an individual basis. You are always free to hard-reboot your characters, especially if their old IC friends/enemies/storylines have dried up. It can provide a new oppurtunity to take the character in a new direction.

But for guys like me, who have active storylines that we're still working hard to keep them going, a hard restart would be a slap to the face.

Furthermore, I feel people should be less apprehensive about WoW's currently hostile environment: isn't it Kretol's signature that suggests you can create RP in any situation if you apply yourself well to it? Sure, it takes a lot of you out of your comfort zone, but instead of thinking about what it takes AWAY from you, look at what it can GIVE you!
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
Quote:Sure, it takes a lot of you out of your comfort zone, but instead of thinking about what it takes AWAY from you, look at what it can GIVE you!

The same could be said in favour of the restart idea. :P
(10-16-2013, 11:06 AM)Loxmardin Wrote:
Quote:Sure, it takes a lot of you out of your comfort zone, but instead of thinking about what it takes AWAY from you, look at what it can GIVE you!

Except that with the restart, some of the users won't be able to pick the race that actually has their interest and be forced out of RP. Because people don't want to feel forced into playing/doing something they don't wanna do.

But that aside, I actually mentioned I'd post my theory which all in all, won't be compatible with the many other theories out there. I haven't read the last six pages admittedly, I came in at page 7, read that and numbero 8.

This being entirely from my semi-(in)active viewpoint because I haven't been around much till the last week or so. I left because I finally was pulled into the atmosphere of D&D, which has been an absolute blast. Why has it been so much more appealing to me then CotH RP? Because I don't know what is going to happen. There is a tension that I used to find in CotH RP when I first started out here long ago, I didn't know what to expect, I didn't even expect RP at times but I found it as I quested and ran around, getting my backside up from level 1 as I explored.

My own theory is that the surprise is gone. We've all seen most if not all of Azeroth by now, quests are broken, dungeons are broken, raids are broken (and pretty much always have been) so even if you haven't seen/explored those yet, there's no point in trying it because they'll bug up. That is part of the exploration gone right there.

So what else can we go out into the world for? Gear- Oh wait, we can .lo rp that in. Well, we need gold for something right? Ski- Oh wait, those are all free. Mount- Nope, also free. Euuuh.....

Okay, so we have no reason to go out into the world from a mechanical standpoint, and visually, we've seen most if not all. That used to be different, my own (my own -personal-, I'll stress that.) experience when I first came onto the server happened as I was questing around. I hadn't expected to find RP in Elwynn as low level, but I did. From, what a surprise! Somebody also questing around. With our shoddy gear we began to talk, and my character was convinced through him to join a guild! Progression! She was tasked with a mission to get somewhere, but being the slowpoke that I was, questing on a little, I arrived there good and late. The guy was waiting on me, my toon was berated and learned to actually prioritize somethings! (In this case her player-given-quest.) More progression! Through RP I eventually met the leader, who in turn, introduced me to three other people! More progression! More social contacts! More relationships ICly!

Through sheer amount of luck I managed to best two people in a roll fight which none of us took that seriously, but it impressed the guild leader nonetheless for it was all IC! What happened? I got summoned a few days later with a rather stern message, and my character thought she had messed up again in some way. Being clueless both IC and OOCly as to what was going to happen, she nearly had a heart attack until the true intentions revealed, and my character was promoted ICly! OHGODALLTHEPROGRESSION. (Lion's league, /brofist)

That character, is one of my favorite characters I've had on the server, it was also the very first so bear in mind the nostalgia. For me, a few key factors were in play to make it all happen.

- I was new to the server. (Which logically fades after a while.)
- The quests worked, which I could follow, which send me out into the world as a new player.
- Other people were following the quests, which gave me interaction.
- OOCly, I was not aware of any upcoming changes in my character's environment. The berating, the promotion.

Less sharing background plans, and keeping more secrets ICly of upcoming changes may help! But that's not what I want to really delve into in this post.

What I want to delve into though; Personally? I think we used to have a mixture of elements that made us go out into the world. Be it the desire to obtain gear, be it the desire to obtain gold, be it to the desire to explore regions, be it the desire to level up and so forth. With this Cata server, all those elements have been rendered pointless with the thought "We don't want anything to do with that, we just want RP." ; So all that remained was the desire to explore regions, which we've (I assume the majority) has by now seen.

So we end back on GMI, where most of us enter a zombie-state in which we won't recognize a call for RP until it whispers us. Which is usually done by our friends and people we've RPed with before. I've seen people use the chat channels, I've seen people use /say on GMI, I've seen shouts, I've seen pleas, but this zombie effect is preventing it from coming into our heads.

Do I want to remove GMI? Nay, I got nothing against the island itself. I think we need a place to be OOC at for the communities sake, to hang around at, have a laugh at. Discuss things that aren't even related to the server at times, or things such as open office and similar. Removing GMI would simply kill the arguably most-used gathering spot for many. I do think we need more reasons to go out into the world, and this will probably be the biggest point people will disagree with me at. My own, personal, untested theory (and I may be very wrong.) is that we should remove some of the things that have made 'RPing easier', because those things have broken part of the game in which you naturally go out and seek those things.

Try the server for a while without .lo rp, without free skills, without every profession / vendor in one place so that when people want something, related to RP or not, they'll go out and find it. My theory is that it'll put more people away from GMI, and into the world. Arguably, keep the flying mount (Auberdine for example is a pain. Or remove it because you won't meet people in the sky itself. Two sides there.) or in the previously drastic scenario suggested of hard-reset and all, give people a land mount. (Or don't, walking on roads is good for you.) Perhaps things will pick up again like they used to, where people who are trying to quest, suddenly find RP. I think we are still open enough to change our plans like back then, I know I am.

That's just my thoughts on the matter, I'm expecting heavy disagreement but I felt like posting it nonetheless.
(10-16-2013, 11:06 AM)Loxmardin Wrote:

No offense Lox, but I feel there's a world of difference between adjusting to changes in the story and lore as it progresses, and having to undo/rewrite everything I've done up until now.
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.