08-26-2020 08:16 AM
» Replies: 15
» Views: 406
What is glistening
Last Post: Xigo
08-17-2020 10:19 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 2982
You are a fond memory. Good night, CoTH...
Last Post: CappnRob
05-01-2020 08:05 PM
» Replies: 32
» Views: 85976
You Can't Go Home Again
Last Post: Scout
03-15-2019 09:24 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 2554
"Years of Service" Awards
Last Post: Maulbane
05-26-2018 09:58 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 3418

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Google AdStuff

Kapre: A Love Story
Hiyo! I thought I'd share a little story.

I talked to others why I went through several renames, was well as the origins behind the names of my characters. I've told many how many of my characters (but not all) are named after Filipino mythological monsters. One of them, of course, is the Kapre, the smoking tree giant. I happened to google "kapre" for good articles and stories on them, and I found one that I liked so very much, I hope to share with others. I may find other stories for other monsters like the Manananggal and the Tikbalang (which was mentioned in a WoW quest!), but for now, I shall share one. No worries, it's a very short story, and it's a sad one.

Granted, a lot of you wouldn't know a lot of the terms in the story. I'll quickly define them for you in order of appearance:

--Kapre: The smoking tree giant. They tend to be 7-9 feet tall (though some art have them even bigger), brown, hairy, and with a cigar that never burns out. They're known to be mischievious but never outright malicious--in fact, they tend to be downright harmless. A recurring trait in mga kapre, though, is their undying love and loyalty--once they find someone to befriend or fall in love with, they follow that person for life. My Kapre is based on this creature.

--Santan: A small, red flower. An example: http://www.imagesphilippines.com/images/...201356.jpg

--Aswang: The definition varies, but they tend to be a generic term for monsters in the Philippines in general. In this story, it seems to imply the variant in the Manananggal: vampire-like creatures, often women, with their upper bodies torn from their lower, wings on their backs, and extremely long, thin tongues. They hunt for pregnant women to feed the blood off their fetuses if not the fetuses right out the bellies themselves. Yes. You read that right. Mana'Gal is named after the Manananggal not necesssarily for the physical and dietary traits, but the fact that they're vicious women often pictured with long fangs and wild hair.

--Tikbalang: Half beast, half human demon, usually the head and lower legs of a horse with the body of a human. They are often said to be spirits of aborted fetuses escaped from Limbo. Personality traits can range from mischievous but harmless to outright malicious. Tibalan is based the Tikbalang.

--Lola: "Grandma" in Filipino.

--Nanay: "Mom", "Mother"

Okay. Here ya go. Enjoy.

http://www.philippinegenrestories.com/20...ove-story/
[Image: 3HQ8ifr.gif]
http://www.wowpedia.org/Tikbalang
PM
Nice work, I really enjoyed it.

I guess maybe too because I really like this kind of characters, Kapre here kinda reminds me of my NWN character, half-frost giant who is grumpy, asocial and bit autistic instead of mischievous tree giant but rest fits rather well as he's calm and very kind to his friends and invoker [favored soul, simply god chosen priest, something between cleric and avatar] of god of protection and is known for being absurdly loyal which usually horribly turns against him, he has a lot of graves to visit these days >.>
"Everyone is hypocrite by nature. Burst their bubble and tell them real truth and they will hate you fiercely, no matter if they are pink or blue."
"Gray" Zennshinagas
PM
Teehee, Aswang. (My inner 10 year old demands silliness.)

This is quite interesting. Never realised Lola meant grandma.
[Image: djuraz.jpg]
PM
(09-21-2011, 04:47 PM)Wendigo Wrote: Nice work, I really enjoyed it.

I guess maybe too because I really like this kind of characters, Kapre here kinda reminds me of my NWN character, half-frost giant who is grumpy, asocial and bit autistic instead of mischievous tree giant but rest fits rather well as he's calm and very kind to his friends and invoker [favored soul, simply god chosen priest, something between cleric and avatar] of god of protection and is known for being absurdly loyal which usually horribly turns against him, he has a lot of graves to visit these days >.>

Very sad :( I have a soft spot for stories where humans befriend the supernatural, and this is no different.

What is NWN???

(09-22-2011, 12:05 AM)Djurawuzhere Wrote: Teehee, Aswang. (My inner 10 year old demands silliness.)

This is quite interesting. Never realised Lola meant grandma.

This is why I giggle every time I see a girl named Lola LOL
Well not of my doing, for some reason that character has horrible luck in game without my help. And yeah I have soft spot for this kind of stories too.

Nwn means neverwinter nights it's RP servers are basically only other place besides coth where you can really good RP, though the style is different. I play on both and love both honestly. Though I have to admit I like [and know] Forgotten Realms setting much better than warcraft. [3rd edition, don't even let me started on 4th there will be more curse words than in 10dvd's of rap compilations]
"Everyone is hypocrite by nature. Burst their bubble and tell them real truth and they will hate you fiercely, no matter if they are pink or blue."
"Gray" Zennshinagas
PM
Quote:--Aswang
Eheheheheheheheh.
PM

It's pronounced "Uhss- WONG", people! XD

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Three word Story time! Noble 174 2,505 05-31-2014, 12:22 PM
Last Post: Whorak
  Spread The Love! (Forum game) Vladdy 130 2,944 05-16-2014, 03:25 PM