The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Magic and You - Understanding the Mystical
Alternately, if someone counterspells you as you try to get out of there, you can be stopped. Perhaps also you could be stopped if a Mage or two were using a field spell to prevent magical escape (Or magic in general). These are pretty much to stop you from casting a spell before you really leave.

The only entity that can, without fail, pluck a moving object from the Twisting Nether and deposit it somewhere else (Or hold it) is a demon and, while rare, there is some danger that something will take interest in your soft mortal flesh. That said, it probably won't happen to any of your PCs unless you want it to. (Edit: A powerful Mage or Warlock could probably pull you from the Nether too, but as far as I know only Kil'jaeden has ever done it.)

Just on Demonic Circle a bit... What Vrahn said is true, but keep in mind that the pre-set rune should also be in the general vicinity of the spell. Ingame it's got a range of about a hundred meters or so (Unless I'm wrong about that, which I could be.), and a time limit to how long it lasts. You'd need to prepare it on the ground before you go into a dangerous situation and try to use it before the pattern is washed out or blown away. As a general rule, don't pull it out of your ass during an RP fight to escape unless you've emoted creating it first, or you let someone know it's around and you've done it.
Hmm... this guide needs an expansion... which I shall work on when I'm a grunt (few more days...) haha

nexusphere Wrote:Aha, so as long as I know -precisely- where I want to go, and have been there before so that I could visualize it with utmost clarity, and have enough time to prepare for it properly, I can port there rather safely?

From what I know about the Warcraft Universe, teleportation is possible due to the 'ley lines' of magic spread throughout Azeroth. It's basically an organisation of magical energies that developed when the Well of Eternity exploded. Teleporting to a specific place requires you to be familiar with the 'magical coordinates' of the place, i.e. the corresponding ley lines of that location. Remembering these magical coordinates requires one to be attuned to the arcane energies of that area. That being said, spending more time in a specific area could cause you to subconsciously recognise the 'magical coordinates'. Known magical locations, such as the specific teleportation chambers in the Stormwind mage tower and Dalaran, are usually there because the 'magical coordinates' of that specific location is much easier to be recognised and memorised by the Magi. That being said, the magical identity of most known locations can be replicated by a Wizard so that another Wizard may adapt himself to that specific arcane trace, thus the ability to 'teach' locations.

As to picking people out in the middle of teleportation, it is as Kaghuros and Vrahn have said; Possible but very very hard. I'll elaborate more on all this, and expand the entire guide in general over the weekends :D
Hmm... this guide needs an expansion... which I shall work on when I'm a grunt (few more days...) haha

nexusphere Wrote:Aha, so as long as I know -precisely- where I want to go, and have been there before so that I could visualize it with utmost clarity, and have enough time to prepare for it properly, I can port there rather safely?

From what I know about the Warcraft Universe, teleportation is possible due to the 'ley lines' of magic spread throughout Azeroth. It's basically an organisation of magical energies that developed when the Well of Eternity exploded. Teleporting to a specific place requires you to be familiar with the 'magical coordinates' of the place, i.e. the corresponding ley lines of that location. Remembering these magical coordinates requires one to be attuned to the arcane energies of that area. That being said, spending more time in a specific area could cause you to subconsciously recognise the 'magical coordinates'. Known magical locations, such as the specific teleportation chambers in the Stormwind mage tower and Dalaran, are usually there because the 'magical coordinates' of that specific location is much easier to be recognised and memorised by the Magi. That being said, the magical identity of most known locations can be replicated by a Wizard so that another Wizard may adapt himself to that specific arcane trace, thus the ability to 'teach' locations.

As to picking people out in the middle of teleportation, it is as Kaghuros and Vrahn have said; Possible but very very hard. I'll elaborate more on all this, and expand the entire guide in general over the weekends :D
This guide has just received an expansion pack! 8D

Changelog:

- Expanded on Fire, Frost, and Combat
- Added links to other guides in the appropriate areas
- Added 'Understanding the Mechanisms'
Often times I'm RPing on Kimee with a fellow magic-user and they'll ICly bring up a school of magic I've never heard of and I end up whispering the user to ask them what they're talking about.

I wonder if maybe you could add other schools of magic such as Thaumaturgy (moving objects), Chiromancy (runes), etc etc, to this lovely guide of yours here. :mrgreen:
Uhh... Well, while those are definitely names of magical schools in D&D, some RPGs, and most Western legends, they aren't the names of Warcraft schools of magic. For example, Necromancy can encompass both the conjuration of spirits and evocation of Shadow magic as well as the classic, dead-raising art of necromancy. Runic magic is its own category, but that's listed here under Runic Magic.

Edit: Basically, I'm pretty sure they hit all of the major schools of magic.
nexusphere Wrote:Often times I'm RPing on Kimee with a fellow magic-user and they'll ICly bring up a school of magic I've never heard of and I end up whispering the user to ask them what they're talking about.
I think that magic-user was referring to one of the schools of magic classified under the arcane, which have all been thoroughly explained by Theik in his guide, which was introduced to me by Kag in an earlier post XD

Kaghuros Wrote:Uhh... Well, while those are definitely names of magical schools in D&D, some RPGs, and most Western legends, they aren't the names of Warcraft schools of magic. For example, Necromancy can encompass both the conjuration of spirits and evocation of Shadow magic as well as the classic, dead-raising art of necromancy.
Ditto. Most of the schools of magic make use of one or more of the individual 'schools' listed in Theik's guide =3

Also, I expanded on 'Arcane' in 'Understanding the Effects' ^^
So based on this thread...what is stopping a warlock (previously a mage) from teleporting? =o

Spoiler:
[Image: raise_thread.jpg]
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
Aphetoros Wrote:So based on this thread...what is stopping a warlock (previously a mage) from teleporting? =o

Spoiler:
[Image: raise_thread.jpg]

Nothing at all. Our concern lies more with allowing characters, even those that have ICly gone from one class to another, from being able to do far more than anyone else.

An example I can give is from my own list of characters. Kimee, if you weren't already aware, was a mage ICly at first according to her profile, and then gradually became a warlock and was a fairly accomplished one by the time her story began here. To add to that, I am in the process of making her a necromancer as well. To be fair to other users here, I refrain from using mage spells as a warlock, and once her necromancy training is complete, I will refrain from using warlock spells too.
... What an awesome guide.

I want to make a mage now :)
Azheron's back in business. For reals.
Sense.

This makes it!

It makes magic all the funner to use. No matter what the restriction.
Dulche et decorum est.Pro patria muori.

[Image: awawwaw.gif]

Only in death...
Ah. Thanks Nexi! :D

Would it be possible to get death magic included in this guide as well? :D!
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
Hey I really like this guide! It really covers a lot, and it helped me fine-tune a CP I'm working on! XD

Appreciation - You have mine! :mrgreen:
Fallen to the Darkness,
lost to the Light,
she wanders alone,
in places of astounding height,
once a Champion,
of Life, of Love,
now only Hateful,
the Defiled and Murdered Dove

I Have Risen...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Arcane Magic and You - A Dummy's Guide to the Arcane Theik 15 9,263 12-25-2014, 02:43 PM
Last Post: Harmonic
  Fel Magic: A Junkie's Guide. (Answering Questions!) Kaghuros 49 16,123 04-05-2011, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Beltharean
  The Nature of Magic in Azeroth Grakor456 19 7,990 07-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Last Post: simianthief
  Understanding Alignment Grakor456 1 1,398 05-13-2008, 05:11 PM
Last Post: Qaza