Poll: What should we name her?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Tonya Isis Hayknll.
66.67%
8 66.67%
Sasha Ulysses Hayknll.
16.67%
2 16.67%
Something else.
16.67%
2 16.67%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

[-]
Main Menu
Portal
Forums
Wiki
Rules
FAQs
Events Calendar
Downloads

[-]
Latest Threads
Where Are You Now?
Last Post: Sourpuddle
08-26-2020 08:16 AM
» Replies: 15
» Views: 361
What is glistening
Last Post: Xigo
08-17-2020 10:19 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 2665
You are a fond memory. Good night, CoTH...
Last Post: CappnRob
05-01-2020 08:05 PM
» Replies: 32
» Views: 85292
You Can't Go Home Again
Last Post: Scout
03-15-2019 09:24 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 2240
"Years of Service" Awards
Last Post: Maulbane
05-26-2018 09:58 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 3399

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Google AdStuff

New mother Incoming (RUN AWAY)
Steve.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
PM
Changing my input and I'd wager that when she is born, a name will snap into your head and you'll know it's right.
“Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”
— G.K. Chesterton

Spoiler:
[Image: tumblr_n9hl98KKPd1r4fnslo1_500.gif]

Have a puppy Ruby and a nice day.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MstrCorvus's post:
  • Cressy
Naming! I can't even name my own characters with ease, nevertheless suggest one for a child. But with that said, I agree with this:

(11-18-2013, 08:18 AM)Loxmardin Wrote: Freya's a nice name, too, in all it's spelling variations. If you wanted

Freya is a really nice name that isn't used very often, and it's one that fits in with your ancestry. Plus, Freyja had a carriage pulled by cats. How cool is that?!

But no, I think Sasha or Tonya would be good choices as well, although I agree with what c0r is saying about the use of Isis. And I'm not sure Ulysses is very fitting either, unless there's some significant meaning behind it being given to her.
[Image: anim_500.gif]
PM
No good suggestions myself, but I tend to frequent this site because of my interest in the origins of names. Might help you with choosing a name! (And double-checking if it's Scandinavian. :P)
[Image: 6RpTZgI.gif]
PM
www.20000-names.com

This is also useful. A majority of my characters who use real life names were selected from this site (then cross-referenced with others like the one Rowgen linked). They include not only name origins, but what other locations also use the name. Theme naming and special category names (names that mean "butterfly", names from the Bible, names based on friendship, etc.) are provided in a link on the bottom right corner.
[Image: 3HQ8ifr.gif]
I am just now beginning to understand how perfect a decision it was to ask a ROLEPLAYING community about naming my child. I can only imagine the number of people here who have spent hours finding the perfect name for characters.

Ok now that I've said that.

I like Freyja but one of my over nine thousand superstitions is that a childs name greatly influences the kind of person they will grow to be, and while my boyfriend is sooo very adorable when he does it, his way of controlling animals leads him to bring pretty much every stray cat dog and chimpanzee into our apartment. I do not want to be a zoo keeper!

Thank you for the sites, those will come in handy for more than just this I think.

Also, thank you Xigo I really needed the laugh.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SoarTheSky's post:
  • Xigo
PM
Jeez, I don't know what to say.
PM
(11-20-2013, 06:41 PM)Cassius Wrote: Jeez, I don't know what to say.

Then what's the point of posting?

Anyways, I'd kind of go away from Freyja, for the same reasons you should go away from Isis. It's not a good idea to name your kid after gods because there are people who still worship those gods and they will take offense.
PM
(11-20-2013, 07:27 PM)FlyingSquirrel Wrote:
(11-20-2013, 06:41 PM)Cassius Wrote: Jeez, I don't know what to say.

Then what's the point of posting?

To express my thoughts on this whole ordeal.
PM
Clover
[Image: yEKW9gB.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Clovis's post:
  • Cressy
PM
People get offended over EVERYTHING and ANYTHING. Thats what humans are, we don't exist properly if we don't have something to be pissed at.

How about Salna, anyone like the sound of that one?
PM
Since you're asking us for advice and suggestions on names, I'd like to take a post to elaborate a little on why some of us are against Isis. And possibly Salna. I Googled Salna, and came up with, I think, a number of Indian recipes.

It isn't just us waving our hands in offense. We aren't that fragile, trust us. I, personally, am not offended, as I'm not part of Egyptian or Indian heritage. However...

There is something called Cultural Appropriation, and an example of it is a person not of a particular ethnicity/nationality taking a name from another far outside their own because it looks/sounds cool.

Wikipedia defines it as:

Wikipedia Wrote:Cultural appropriation is the adoption of some specific elements of one culture by a different cultural group. It describes acculturation or assimilation, but can imply a negative view towards acculturation from a minority culture by a dominant culture. It can include the introduction of forms of dress or personal adornment, music and art, religion, language, or social behavior. These elements, once removed from their indigenous cultural contexts, can take on meanings that are significantly divergent from, or merely less nuanced than, those they originally held.

Appropriation practice involves the 'appropriation' of ideas, symbols, artifacts, image, sound, objects, forms or styles from other cultures, from art history, from popular culture or other aspects of human made visual or non visual culture. Anthropologists have studied the process of cultural appropriation, or cultural borrowing (which includes art and urbanism), as part of cultural change and contact between different cultures.

Here's a very blatant example of what I'm talking about in picture form:
Spoiler:
[Image: MGD06JesusSaysBuyMoreArt.jpg]

It's kinda huge, so I spoilered it.

So, yeah. We're advising against this as it's a real thing, that affects and has affected real people for a long, long time.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
[-] The following 3 users Like c0rzilla's post:
  • JTJP770, ImagenAshyun, Cassius
PM
I think I saw that guy on my street once.

Also, my previous comment about people getting ticked for just about anything still stands, as does my policy of not giving a fruit about it.

Also I'm trying to curb my cursing because i don't wanna be the mother who's child shouts out the F bomb in the grocery store.
PM
(11-22-2013, 01:25 PM)SoarTheSky Wrote: I think I saw that guy on my street once.

Also, my previous comment about people getting ticked for just about anything still stands, as does my policy of not giving a fruit about it.

Also I'm trying to curb my cursing because i don't wanna be the mother who's child shouts out the F bomb in the grocery store.

Then name your child Seven.

Mug is also a valid name in this case.
PM
Name her Condom and say I wish I had one before her.

Oh that was bad I'm not gonna do that.

What about Hvedra?
PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy Mother's Day! Wuvvums 9 309 05-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Last Post: Roxas65
  Happy Mother's Day! teege 13 280 05-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Last Post: Azheron