08-26-2020 08:16 AM
» Replies: 15
» Views: 406
What is glistening
Last Post: Xigo
08-17-2020 10:19 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 2982
You are a fond memory. Good night, CoTH...
Last Post: CappnRob
05-01-2020 08:05 PM
» Replies: 32
» Views: 85976
You Can't Go Home Again
Last Post: Scout
03-15-2019 09:24 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 2554
"Years of Service" Awards
Last Post: Maulbane
05-26-2018 09:58 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 3418

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Google AdStuff

Out of the Inkwell
So lately, I've had this fascination with the circus and clowns, and in my research I've come across a cartoon character I can't help but admire (hence the new avatar). His name is Koko the Clown. You might recognize him from Betty Boop (which is another fascinating character from the time). However, he first appeared in his own series known as "Out of the Inkwell", the production of which began in 1918. He was created by Max Fleischer, who would later be responsible for creating iconic characters such as Betty Boop, Popeye, and Superman. Along with that legacy, he created the rotoscope, which was a device that allowed for easier and more flowing animation. His guinea pig? None other than Koko the Clown. With his rotoscope and his character, he was able to produce Out of the Inkwell as his first animated series. The show is set up as being part animation, part silent film, and often depicts a struggle between the artist and his character. Not only that, but there are a lot of surreal and unsettling moments in the series.

One of my favorite episodes is "Modeling", which I can share thanks to youtube:

I just think that this is interesting to share because as roleplayers we create characters and put our hearts into them, and you can tell this is how Max felt about Koko, who, I wish was as iconic as his later characters. Koko is an important part of animation's history that not many people know about.

Edit: changed the video because the thumbnail for the other one was a little too disturbing and I didn't realize it.
[Image: anim_500.gif]
PM