11-24-2020 06:53 PM
» Replies: 16
» Views: 584
What is glistening
Last Post: Xigo
08-17-2020 10:19 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 3706
You are a fond memory. Good night, CoTH...
Last Post: CappnRob
05-01-2020 08:05 PM
» Replies: 32
» Views: 87457
You Can't Go Home Again
Last Post: Scout
03-15-2019 09:24 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 3130
"Years of Service" Awards
Last Post: Maulbane
05-26-2018 09:58 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 3460

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Google AdStuff

School time is "Major" fun!
Soo, it's just about, or already, school time for many. My fall semester starts on Monday and I was just curious about what the other CoTH members were doing with their schooling. I know we have a mix of college graduates, current students, and high school kids...
So I thought I'd ask, or start a little discussion :D over what Majors/fields of interest people were involved in.
For instance, I am undecided/pre-law. Odd, I know but meh I'm only in community college right now, so I have time :P

What about y'all? 8)
Light of eye and soft of touch, speak you little, listen much.
Honor the Old Ones in deed and name,
let love and light be our guides again.
PM
Heh, I'll get in on this.

Zoology/Entomology transfer work. If I had known that's what I'd be after when I started college, I would have been a little more focused on my math classes--now Chemistry looms large and imposing on the horizon. *ducks*
[Image: Q1-1.png]

"We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
~Kurt Vonnegut
PM
I'm studying Secondary Education, majoring in English and Japanese. I'm in Australia, so my second semester for the year is already about half-over.
酒なくて
何の己が
桜かな

Without sake
What is the use of
Cherry blossoms?
PM
I picked Art, Graphics and Drama. Along with the compulsory subjects.

It's quite a bit different in England. :P
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
PM
"High School" in Ireland continues untill your 19/20. I'm going into my final year so... Good luck to me :|
I won't be on as much, I've a lot of study this year.
"Alea Iacta Est"

Gregory James Jermyn - Apprentice mage, curious and friendly.
PM
Heh, I´m in Swedish High School, going to an "international" school (all education is in English. Heh, got teachers from all around though, the US, England, Malaysia, Jamaica etc, same with students) with a "Natural Science Program" there we have a few compulsory subjects (Chemistry, biology, physics, a lot of math, English, Swedish and another modern language chosen by the student (mine is Mandarin, sucks in it though)and then there´s a lot more *sigh* To much. We get 150 points to choose from a bunch of other classes (one point is one hour, most of the classes are about 50 or 100 points, so normally you get about two or three courses), personally I´ve taken psychology, philosophy and something called "leadership" not started those courses yet though, I´ve heard that they should be interesting.

After high school I´m aiming for year of freedom before heading to university, thinking some sort of medical stuff, if I get in to that I´ll join the "Medecins Sans Frontiers" (not sure if that´s the real English name but it´s the one I´ve heard. It´s "Läkare Utan Gränser" in Swedish.) for a few years. Otherwise I´d love to do something with music, also getting a Scuba diving instructor training, heard it´s pretty nice to move to a more tropic place and teach that, not much pay but at least you get sun and diving (and let´s not forget the women on the beach).

Humm... I think that is about it...
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

PM
I'd always heard that american high school was wimpy LOL compared to other countries and what not.

This is technically my sophmore year...I'm moving slowly with college, but meh it's college. I'll get it dont...doesn't have a set time limit so I'm not stressing.

Seems like a lot of sciencey stuff. I -used- to think I would major in Biochem, but I ran screaming from that after a semester taking general chem. :P
PM
Nostra: "Medecins Sans Frontiers" translates to "Medicine Without Frontiers" I'm assuming they mean "without boundaries". Very interesting!

And yes, US High School covers none of that, and it kills me. I wish we had had class options like that. I took Spanish, the other language choice was French. And SCUBA training?! C'mon now...

My only chance to go out of the country (an art trip to Italy) was canceled because it fell within a period of time when the US was not very trusting of airplanes and their alarming tendency to fly into large buildings. I feel so... uncultured.
[Image: Q1-1.png]

"We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
~Kurt Vonnegut
PM
I graduated from the American "higher educational institution" (what we call college) 5 years ago.

School, however, doesn't end for me! <grins>

Monday (Aug. 25), school starts up again, and I'll have 150ish, bright-eyed 15-18 year old chemistry students that walk through my door!

I'm ridiculously excited, but already exhausted, and no students have shown up yet. Hehe. Any of you who are considering education as a career, go for it - but remember that it takes more dedication to be a teacher than a student... I never thought I'd say this, but sometimes, I wish I could go back to my all-night-study-parties in the bio gross anatomy lab and the plant morphology labs. Heeehee.

All I can say is: I'm all pumped up and ready for Monday! BRING IT ON!
[Image: MenkaSig2.jpg]
PM
Well diving is actually only a past-time for me, hehe. My step-dad is not only really good in languages (speaks, French, Spanish, German, English, he even sounds like an Englishman. *sadface*, and also some Russian, Greek and Japanese.) and got an Ph.D (or what however it would be in English) chemistry (meh, I don´t lime chemistry myself but he is very handy when I get projects and homework) but is also a scuba diving instructor.

And yes, I just shamelessly bragged on his behalf.

Trips outside of Sweden, heh, it really varies here, some schools arrange a lot of trips others don´t. Though they passed a new law about one, maybe two years ago? That said that school should not cost anything, therefore the school couln´t request that students pay to come along on those trips. Which of course means they have to fund it themselves and as expected, trips have dwindled. My own school didn´t arrange many anyway, not even a single one out of the country.

High school is different, they got more money, heh, my own school seems to have decided to arrange a yearly trip to China, I missed the chance this year (though I was so freakin´close to get a spot on plane >.<) I think I flunked due to a lot of absence. Yeah, last year was bad, very, -very- school tired year for me, didn´t study for tests, didn´t show up class (apparently I had a total of 33% absence at the end of term). Anyway, I passed all the tests (except one in chemistry, I did a re-test and passed that too eventually) and got passing grades (even got a two really good ones, in English and Swedish, MVGs for those of you who know what it is *wink*) so this year I´m going to do my best to get better grades.

And yeah, schools starts for me on monday too. *Sighs, grim, determined-face*
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

PM
Graphic and Web design. It's AESOMEW

I'm about done with the AAS but will be going back for a Bach of Science and someday an MS.

My long term dream is to become a psycho ad exec or retarded art director. *swoon* or maybe propaganda minister
˜★Sketch Blog
I graduated back in 2006, made some silly decisions in high school, and now have to repeat/take a completely new set of courses.. Bio, Chem, Math, and English (I had them all before, obviously, to have graduated, but I took the lesser level classes because I was lazy and didn't think I'd need to go back to post secondary, or want to. Silly teenaged me).

Now I will probably do all my upgrading within the next year, and then I have to debate between being a Registered Nurse or a Licensed Practical Nurse. Might just do LPN because ANY nurses are in high high HIIIIIIGH demand here, and I don't know if I could handle the hardcore hospital side of nursing as an RN. But then again, I have to look into what either entails. I'm very excited to start something, as I've done nothing with myself since graduation and it's really quite boring to do nothing for 2 years and a bit.
"The world will look up and shout, 'Save us'. And I'll look down and whisper no."

Kyndri - Treehugging Nightelf Druid
Jendra - Proud Orc Warrior
Ashe - Righteous Human Warrior
Eva - Shady Human Rogue
Elu - Peaceful Tauren Hunter
PM
Good luck to the future nurse

You probably already know this but I hear from my mom (who's also studying nursing right now) and one of my dad's girlfriends (you read that right) who is an RN complain it's too much paper pushing, too little action. But the latter does private nursing as an RN since it has more hands-on stuff, so to speak.
˜★Sketch Blog
I go back on September 3rd or 4th...

I'm nowhere near prepared for next year. I could barely handle this year, it's going to be a lot tougher. I'm gonna be under so much stress >.> And I'll probably be slapping myself across the face next time I have an important test, wishing to myself I spent more time revising then playing WoW... I have little self control :( School's too damn hard.

Good luck to everyone else ;)
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
PM
Oh, man I hear you Qaza xD

Throw in that I went to high school in a small Texas town where all anyone cares about is the football team and yeah...uncultured might be putting it a little lightly.

But college is so much dang fun :D It's a blast being able to pick your classes, and when to go. And college level history! Omg, it's so fun. The truth behind the salem witch trials left me giggling hysterically my first semester. Oh...tripping cows...lol
PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Three word Story time! Noble 174 2,507 05-31-2014, 12:22 PM
Last Post: Whorak
  Valicor's School Schedule Valicor 4 221 08-22-2013, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Valicor
  It's that time of the year again... McKnighter 11 520 07-17-2013, 03:58 PM
Last Post: muhaha8
  How the Time Flies Majyk 4 279 01-31-2013, 09:39 PM
Last Post: Sol
  So Mass Effect got blamed for the most recent school shooting. Roxas65 7 355 12-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Last Post: Xigo