08-26-2020 08:16 AM
» Replies: 15
» Views: 356
What is glistening
Last Post: Xigo
08-17-2020 10:19 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 2615
You are a fond memory. Good night, CoTH...
Last Post: CappnRob
05-01-2020 08:05 PM
» Replies: 32
» Views: 85210
You Can't Go Home Again
Last Post: Scout
03-15-2019 09:24 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 2196
"Years of Service" Awards
Last Post: Maulbane
05-26-2018 09:58 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 3392

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Google AdStuff

Siege of Orgrimmar trailer
I know that we're miles away from Pandaria, but I felt like posting this to see what you guys all make of it.

Personally? I cannot wait to kill Garrosh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slzQOyS5TqQ
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hawk's post:
  • Edgar
PM
More "orcs are evil, trolls and tauren are good" BS. More Garrosh twirling his mustache when he could have been so much more.

It's a poorly-constructed trailer for a very poorly-constructed expansion (lore-wise, at least.) Nothing to see here that I wasn't expecting and already loathing.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
[-] The following 5 users Like Grakor456's post:
  • Altaine, flammos200, Grogloki, Kira13, Ukarai
PM
I love it just for the "now where is he?" burn about Grom.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
[-] The following 10 users Like c0rzilla's post:
  • Reigen, Grakor456, Hexproof, Thoradin, CappnRob, kindle135, Kira13, Memnoch, Edgar, Rini
PM
@Grakor456, aren't you pissed as well about how Garrosh did a complete 180 in terms of his attitude and ways? In Cataclysm he was learning so many things, he had like four different advisers to learn from. Sure, there were some that were corrupt or he just had a little fight, but Vol'jin even went to Garrosh and apologized about his outburst after Thrall chose him as warchief. Personally, I think Garrosh is badass. I agree with you on the 'oh orcs are bad and humans are pretty and we're the heroes' but there's always another page in the story. Blizzard's just breaking their own lore and guidelines again for publicity and catering to the 85% of their fans that do not care about the story.
Spoiler:
THERE IS NO POINT TO BE ALIVE, IF YOU CAN'T DO DEADLIFT.
[Image: jon_pall_sigmarsson_b35428d97635b2e7c405...2df3c3.gif]

Spoiler:
[Image: SQ0XvlU.gif]
PM
I'm gonna be honest. From a direction-standpoint, I actually like the trailer itself. I've only seen a few WoW trailers that I ever liked just from that standpoint so I figured I'd mention it. Like... Cinematically, it's great.

That said I'm pretty much just gonna agree with the sentiment that Garrosh going off the deep end is kind of absurd and annoying, but at the same time I've pretty much wanted to kick him in the teeth since early Cata. >.>;; That's not to say he's a bad character, but I'm still mad about Cairne.

If we want to (Which is me using this as a chance to shoehorn in my own opinion on Garrosh in general) talk about his 180, though, I'm honestly not too surprised. His becoming Warchief was always a political decision to me. Thrall tossed him the role because at the time he needed someone who could keep the Horde together what with the world ending. Garrosh kept the Horde together and he kept the Forsaken under control about as well as anyone really could, so in that sense he was totally a decent choice. That said, he would have been a far better Orcish leader than one of the Horde at large. As we've seen, the power had been going to his head for a while, even though he was definitely growing as a person.

The whole Pandaria thing was definitely more than a little extreme and totally poor writing, but I'm honestly not too surprised. Garrosh was trying to go Old Horde all over again, except without the Blood of Mannoroth making all the other Orcs superbloodthirsty murdermachines, it was destined to fail from the start. I really don't see it as "Oh, the Orcs are so evil and everyone else is great." More like "Garrosh you're acting like a butt-nugget and a lot of Orcs are following your example."
As someone wise once said, the important thing is never to be fearless or confident. Most people have more than enough trouble with both. The trick is to fake it, because if you learn to fake it properly, it's the same thing as actually having confidence.
Spoiler:
[Image: c4i6Zq5.png]
PM
It's a lame plot line that was clearly obvious since Wrath.
[Image: 15.jpg]
PM

So what exactly happens to Orgrimmar?
People that play as orcs?
WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!
[Image: 4ab673a110e5324a7acf57e330a6c8eb.jpg]
PM
(08-23-2013, 05:17 PM)Valicor Wrote: .....

So what exactly happens to Orgrimmar?
People that play as orcs?
WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!

Garrosh falls to the power of the Sha (Old God remnants) when trying to use them to make a super army or something.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
PM
Actually... Garrosh overcomes the Sha of Pride, the most powerful of the Sha. He overcomes it and makes it fight for him, instead of the other way around.
Do you have what it takes to join the Fighting Blues?
Do you have what it takes to defend your homeland?
Will you stand up in defense of the innocent? The weak?
Will you stand up in defense of Justice and the Law?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVE3uy8TjirssygDEKMi2...Ia13_WYQpw]

[-] The following 1 user Likes Thoradin's post:
  • Rini
Blizzard Wrote:In a compound beneath Ragefire Chasm, Garrosh has infused his followers – the ‘true Horde’ – with the pilfered essence of the Old God Y’shaarj. With the power of a primordial world-twisting force at his command, Garrosh can rebuild the Horde in his image: strong, obedient, and, most importantly, ‘pure’.

Guess that's the crazy that got him.
[Image: 4ab673a110e5324a7acf57e330a6c8eb.jpg]
PM
The whole Garrosh going evil thing didn't make any sense from a writing standpoint. What was the purpose of the "Garrosh learns a lesson" quest chains in Cata, like Stonetalon? Moreover, he turns evil for no reason. Just answer two questions for me, in ways that are not contrived:

1. Why does Garrosh push that heart into the pool and destroy the vale? Don't say he's corrupted, because he's not. The devs have explicitly stated that he's not corrupted by anything: all that crazy is all him. So why? What does he gain out of that?

2. Why did Garrosh actually go into Pandaria at all? His stated goals, even from the beginning of Cataclysm, was that he wanted to conquer -Kalimdor- for the Horde. He didn't even have an interest in the Kingdoms at all, beyond that the humans were being annoying to his stated goal. The whole chasing Anduin thing didn't make any sense from the get-go.

But you know, Garrosh I can take. It's bad, sloppy writing that led to an abortion of a character arc and a complete rewrite. But I can take that. What I can't take...

(08-23-2013, 05:03 PM)Hexproof Wrote: The whole Pandaria thing was definitely more than a little extreme and totally poor writing, but I'm honestly not too surprised. Garrosh was trying to go Old Horde all over again, except without the Blood of Mannoroth making all the other Orcs superbloodthirsty murdermachines, it was destined to fail from the start. I really don't see it as "Oh, the Orcs are so evil and everyone else is great." More like "Garrosh you're acting like a butt-nugget and a lot of Orcs are following your example."

...is this. And yes, "orcs are evil and everyone else is great" isn't explicitly stated, but it's about how the story is framed. This is something that's started in Cataclysm, really.

Cataclysm:

- Garrosh becomes warchief over Thrall. Immediately orcs go berserk and start warring on everything. (Yes, it's a bit more complicated than this and who actually started the war in Kalimdor is debatable, but that's how it's framed.)

- Every zone where the main story is the orcs fighting against the Alliance, Alliance always has the moral high ground. (See: Ashenvale [orcs deciding to corrupt the forest heart simply to weaken night elven morale] and Stonetalon [orcs deciding to bomb a defenseless village of night elven civilians.])

- The one zone where the Alliance are the aggressors, they -still- have the moral high ground because Blizzard cops out. (See: Southern Barrens. Alliance torch a civilian hunter post in Camp Taurajo...oh, but the Alliance commander only did it because it trained Horde soldiers, and he even gave escape routes for Horde refugees because he's such a swell guy!)

Mists of Pandaria:

- Garrosh goes off the deep end. Who follows him? Almost entirely orcs (and gobin mercenaries.) Very few orcs are shown in any positive light.

- The only major "good" figures for Orcs are all basically absent. Thrall is doing jack all until the Siege (where was he?!) Eitrigg was doing nothing for this or the past expansion besides apparently quests in Burning Steppes. Saurfang was left in Northrend. Nazgrel was put on a bus since BC.

- The Darkspear Rebellion is framed not as "loyalists vs. rebels," but "orcs vs. trolls." All of the bad guys are orcs. All of the oppressed good guys are trolls. (The Rebellion attacks Razor Hill, and not one orc there has the morality or spine to fight against Garrosh's forces during this? Seriously?!)

I could go on, but that's the general summation. Now tack this on with the unfortunate implications from Warcraft 3: that the orcs can't do anything good without the human-raised orc leading them. Given that Thrall is very likely to return as Warchief after Mists...well, I think I've got reason to really hate the direction this lore is going in.
[-] The following 5 users Like Grakor456's post:
  • Altaine, Valicor, Memnoch, Edgar, Ukarai
PM
(08-23-2013, 06:07 PM)Grakor456 Wrote: The whole Garrosh going evil thing didn't make any sense from a writing standpoint. What was the purpose of the "Garrosh learns a lesson" quest chains in Cata, like Stonetalon? Moreover, he turns evil for no reason. Just answer two questions for me, in ways that are not contrived:

1. Why does Garrosh push that heart into the pool and destroy the vale? Don't say he's corrupted, because he's not. The devs have explicitly stated that he's not corrupted by anything: all that crazy is all him. So why? What does he gain out of that?

2. Why did Garrosh actually go into Pandaria at all? His stated goals, even from the beginning of Cataclysm, was that he wanted to conquer -Kalimdor- for the Horde. He didn't even have an interest in the Kingdoms at all, beyond that the humans were being annoying to his stated goal. The whole chasing Anduin thing didn't make any sense from the get-go.

But you know, Garrosh I can take. It's bad, sloppy writing that led to an abortion of a character arc and a complete rewrite. But I can take that. What I can't take...

(08-23-2013, 05:03 PM)Hexproof Wrote: The whole Pandaria thing was definitely more than a little extreme and totally poor writing, but I'm honestly not too surprised. Garrosh was trying to go Old Horde all over again, except without the Blood of Mannoroth making all the other Orcs superbloodthirsty murdermachines, it was destined to fail from the start. I really don't see it as "Oh, the Orcs are so evil and everyone else is great." More like "Garrosh you're acting like a butt-nugget and a lot of Orcs are following your example."

...is this. And yes, "orcs are evil and everyone else is great" isn't explicitly stated, but it's about how the story is framed. This is something that's started in Cataclysm, really.

Cataclysm:

- Garrosh becomes warchief over Thrall. Immediately orcs go berserk and start warring on everything. (Yes, it's a bit more complicated than this and who actually started the war in Kalimdor is debatable, but that's how it's framed.)

- Every zone where the main story is the orcs fighting against the Alliance, Alliance always has the moral high ground. (See: Ashenvale [orcs deciding to corrupt the forest heart simply to weaken night elven morale] and Stonetalon [orcs deciding to bomb a defenseless village of night elven civilians.])

- The one zone where the Alliance are the aggressors, they -still- have the moral high ground because Blizzard cops out. (See: Southern Barrens. Alliance torch a civilian hunter post in Camp Taurajo...oh, but the Alliance commander only did it because it trained Horde soldiers, and he even gave escape routes for Horde refugees because he's such a swell guy!)

Mists of Pandaria:

- Garrosh goes off the deep end. Who follows him? Almost entirely orcs (and gobin mercenaries.) Very few orcs are shown in any positive light.

- The only major "good" figures for Orcs are all basically absent. Thrall is doing jack all until the Siege (where was he?!) Eitrigg was doing nothing for this or the past expansion besides apparently quests in Burning Steppes. Saurfang was left in Northrend. Nazgrel was put on a bus since BC.

- The Darkspear Rebellion is framed not as "loyalists vs. rebels," but "orcs vs. trolls." All of the bad guys are orcs. All of the oppressed good guys are trolls. (The Rebellion attacks Razor Hill, and not one orc there has the morality or spine to fight against Garrosh's forces during this? Seriously?!)

I could go on, but that's the general summation. Now tack this on with the unfortunate implications from Warcraft 3: that the orcs can't do anything good without the human-raised orc leading them. Given that Thrall is very likely to return as Warchief after Mists...well, I think I've got reason to really hate the direction this lore is going in.

This. This 100% I agree with.
Spoiler:
THERE IS NO POINT TO BE ALIVE, IF YOU CAN'T DO DEADLIFT.
[Image: jon_pall_sigmarsson_b35428d97635b2e7c405...2df3c3.gif]

Spoiler:
[Image: SQ0XvlU.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Altaine's post:
  • Memnoch
PM
Garrosh's pants-on-head crazy is nothing new, but at least they made it look cool here.

Some of the dialogue wasn't too bad either, really.

I'd also argue that it's less -orcs- are evil and mostly just "Garrosh and a select few all of which are primarily in the Kor'kron" are evil. Taran Zhu seems to have a beef with pretty much just Garrosh
Your stories will always remain...
[Image: nIapRMV.png?1]
... as will your valiant hearts.
[-] The following 1 user Likes CappnRob's post:
  • Hexproof
It really doesn't have much to do with Taran Zhu. He just really only makes it worse (because he says that trolls and tauren are the honorable ones. Orcs aren't allowed to be good guys anymore, and all.) Again, it's all in the framing. And Blizzard's basically done nothing but hit orcs with the villain bat since Cata.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Grakor456's post:
  • Altaine
PM
I dunt want orcs to be the badguy dammit! Orcs have an amazing heritage (Look at the Mag'har) Garrosh? He was a Mag'har dammit! All this crap has turned even the Mag'har in a more negative light simply because of the fact that Garrosh wasn't a green-skin. Which sucks. Orc shamanism is something I want to see more of, but Blizzard just wants a villain orc. At least have an orc or something be the one that saves everything Blizzard. Don't leave them with this label dammit!
PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So, Mists of Pandaria Trailer Sorum 41 895 08-18-2012, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Kage
  Patch 4.1 - Rise of the Zandalari trailer. Hawk 29 890 09-21-2011, 01:37 AM
Last Post: Bovel
  The Adventures of Tintin Trailer Kiffles 0 149 06-26-2011, 03:01 PM
Last Post: Kiffles
  God of War movie trailer SpiralLateralus 9 251 07-19-2010, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Spiralin
  The Hunt (Trailer) Reese 3 190 07-03-2010, 01:42 PM