The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Simcity 5!
(03-15-2013, 06:21 PM)Rensin Wrote: I don't get it. That seems like quite the reach to me. I understand all the legitimate reasons that people dislike EA, but to say they put out a video about gay relationships just to ire the crowd sounds... well, silly. After watching the video, I don't understand where that conclusion is drawn from.

(03-15-2013, 04:06 PM)Mathias Wrote: (they did the same thing when everyone was having problems with TOR, saying the hate was due to them supporting gay relationships in TOR (despite not having any) but they used a petition instead of a video).

I think this is more what he's getting at. I think they're trying to draw some of the heat away by saying 'hey guys, we're not so bad, we support LGBT relationships. Just look at the Sims!'. Looking at the quote above it appears that at one point they may have attempted to manipulate that by saying that anger was over their support of that rather than their failing as a game maker.
I don't like SimCity 5 because it is not as wide of a game I'd like it to be, y'know? I'd suggest Cities XL Platinum 2012, very fun. This is fun but just not there IMO. Nevertheless I hope everyone enjoys their experience, just my two cents.
ohǫnˀadaga:yǫh

gnome guy

I wonder when EA will wake up and start firing those high ranking executives/Shot callers before their business becomes any worse.
(03-16-2013, 09:56 AM)McKnighter Wrote: I wonder when EA will wake up and start firing those high ranking executives/Shot callers before their business becomes any worse.

They'd sooner be in flames before they come to that realization, otherwise they would've done that after the Spore Incident.
Do you have what it takes to join the Fighting Blues?
Do you have what it takes to defend your homeland?
Will you stand up in defense of the innocent? The weak?
Will you stand up in defense of Justice and the Law?

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVE3uy8TjirssygDEKMi2...Ia13_WYQpw]

Well, quit giving them money. Heh.

People keep giving them money. If you don't like their practices, don't buy the product.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Go downloa buy Sim City 4 on Steam like I did a while back (It's like.. $15?), and mod the piss out of it (There's a few big communities for that out there.)

It VASTLY superiour to SC5, and always will be.
The offline mod is up on Pirate Bay now, in case anybody who bought the game wants to play offline. It also allows editing of highways further away from the city. Saving still needs to be done online.
[Image: 293D4BE4-7170-4C2A-B8BF-7EA572513EBD.jpg]
Spoiler:
[Image: Lazuri65.png]
The problem is that EA will still make money. By not buying SimCity and buying Sim City 4 you still put money in EA's pocket. I'm guilty of it too, I'm probably gonna make everyone cringe by saying this, but I love playing the Sims 3 in my spare time. It's in my opinion a very fun game.

However, since I'm buying it, EA still is entitled to put out games like SimCity, which is admittedly a pitfall. I don't wish they'd go out of business as some people suggested, because the certain few games I'd like would probably change in quality when studios like Maxis and Bioware get sold off---both are companies that have hit and miss titles.

Job factor alone (I can say this, as a man that's had to deal with being unemployed and the harshness of dealing with the problems that arise from it while having to support a family), I think it's unfair to wish this on a company because they put out some bad products. Let's be honest, they aren't the only company. They are only the biggest target when it comes to these things. Capcom, Sony, Microsoft, Activision, and another handful of companies come to mind.

For the end of this pseudo-rant that's been on my mind, I'll say this. Don't like their practices? Don't buy their stuff. Don't care? Buy away. Otherwise keep on putting your hand on the burner, and expect to get burned.

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

(03-16-2013, 12:33 PM)Rensin Wrote: and buying Sim City 4 you still put money in EA's pocket.

I'd rather give them money for a game that's good. I'm okay with that.
No, you're right, Norael. And Rensin too. It's not that you should stop buying their products altogether, but we as consumers have the power to affect what their business will be.

Like this. If they release SimCity 5 and it sells poorly but sales in SimCity 4 suddenly spike, it doesn't take a genius to realize that they did SimCity 5 wrong.
Spoiler:
(03-16-2013, 02:29 PM)Roxas65 Wrote: No, you're right, Norael. And Rensin too. It's not that you should stop buying their products altogether, but we as consumers have the power to affect what their business will be.

Like this. If they release SimCity 5 and it sells poorly but sales in SimCity 4 suddenly spike, it doesn't take a genius to realize that they did SimCity 5 wrong.

And that's exactly what I was getting at. I might have made it sound too much like "CRUSH THEM", but in reality I was saying I don't wish them to go out of business because of more than a few pitfalls.

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

The thing that boggles my mind is how simple this whole fiasco could have been avoided.

All they needed was an offline mode. That's it. That's all they needed to do.

The whole multiplayer, cloud-computer aspect seems really cool. The ability for players to create their own little region where cities can trade and interact with one another? That sounds awesome! Something like that, alone, should be enough of a piracy deterrent.

With something like that, separate from the main game, consumers will be intrigued to purchase the game in order to access that content.

Will it deter all pirates? Certainly not. But, it'll be enough of a motivation to not do so.

My favorite example of this; Dark Souls (yeah, yeah, I know a lot of you super hip kids hate it and are all ARTIFICIAL DIFFICULTY NO STORY UGLY CHARACTERS REPETITION WAAAAAAAH). Sure, I could have pirated Dark Souls and have had a totally isolated single-player experience. But the whole merging of player's worlds, the unique approach to multiplayer, and the whole communication aspect of the rune words, and the thrill of being invaded by another player at any moment entices me to not pirate it. I couldn't imagine playing DS any other way.

But here, EA created something where you're more enticed to pirate the game, because they eliminated the option of the consumer and, in doing so, eliminated functionality. By removing the single player experience, they removed the essential functionality of a player's ability to play the game. And they're even removing features now? No more Cheetah Speed?

I think internet connectivity it something that should enhance a game, not define it. It should be something we want, not something that is needed. Sure, I'd be miffed if this kind of multiplayer stuff wasn't available at launch because of server congestion, but if there was an option to play a game solo, it wouldn't be so bad.

You'd be like "shucks, the server is down. Guess I won't be able to start up a COTHville continent with my friends. Oh well--time to play the vanilla offline mode."

Instead, with this is, "shucks, the server is down. Guess I...won't be able to play the game at all? For entire weeks on end? Months?! And the game is gonna lag the crap out and spike everywhere and I CANT EVEN SAVE MY CITY?! WTF IS THIS, THE GAME ISN'T EVEN PLAYABLE--AND WHEN IT IS, IT SUUUUUUUUCKS!!! RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!"

I learned my lesson after I bought Diablo III. I won't be buying Sim City 5, which is a shame because I loved the hell out of that series.

I hope developers learn that the best deterrent to piracy is in upping the quality of your games. Create an experience people want to be a part of. Use internet connectivity to enhance and expand the game, instead of limiting it.

I mean, just look at what happened to movies and music with the advent of Netflix and iTunes. Once those services came out, piracy for TV shows, movies, and songs went down--not eliminated, of course, but they dropped. Why? Because the average consumer doesn't want to fuss with torrents and cracks and proxy servers when they can drop $8 a month for an entire database of movies and TV shows that can be streamed to them whenever, where ever, and how ever they want.

Eh, rambling. But when don't I do that, honest like?

Enjoy some Baby Metal

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDqaTXqCN-Q
Spoiler:
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrkzIN2eP0U[/video]

"What a mess we made, when it all went wrong..."
FUNNY STORY. EA's CEO handed in his letter of resignation. He's stepping down on March 30. Let's hope this will lead to a better company, but I doubt it.
Spoiler:
Either EA's board of directors will realize that always-online DRM and throwing multiplayer in everything is unnecessary and leads to hate and lower stock prices and choose a new CEO that understands this. Or they'll just pick the same guy but with a different name who will continue to run the company into the ground.

As EA has a lot of companies under them and I don't hate video games enough to see whatever good developers the studios have left go jobless, I hope the board and the CEO learn their lesson and they start taking chances again.
I basically agree with everything you said. I like a lot of the studios under EA, but EA does have a a tendency to turb everything they touch to crap.

Like FUSE/Overstrike. Seriously, look at the announcement trailer for when the game was called "Overstrike" and compare it to today's trailer for "FUSE." You'll see exactly what I'm talking about.
Spoiler: