08-26-2020 08:16 AM
» Replies: 15
» Views: 388
What is glistening
Last Post: Xigo
08-17-2020 10:19 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 2842
You are a fond memory. Good night, CoTH...
Last Post: CappnRob
05-01-2020 08:05 PM
» Replies: 32
» Views: 85632
You Can't Go Home Again
Last Post: Scout
03-15-2019 09:24 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 2372
"Years of Service" Awards
Last Post: Maulbane
05-26-2018 09:58 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 3414

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Google AdStuff

Some of the worst game design decisions ever made
This is just a collection of some of the worst design decisions/elements I have ever had the displeasure of witnessing. This list may grow as I think of more. Enjoy.

1. Create an RPG where all of the monsters and bosses scale with your level, essentially making levelling completely valueless. Worse, also make the game such that certain bosses are actually *more difficult* if you level, thus encouraging the players to avoid experience whenever possible (Tonberry King, I'm looking at you.) (Final Fantasy 8.)

2. Create an RPG where your magic powers are set on a charge basis. In order to get these charges, you must sit in combat letting the enemies beat on you while you constantly use an ability to gain more charges, requiring anywhere between eleven to fifty uses of said ability to reach the cap, *per party member.* Consequently design a game system where you can modify your stats based on how many charges of these spells you have, thus completely discouraging the use of magic for fear of lowering your stats. (Also Final Fantasy 8. Worst. FF. Ever.)

3. Create a clone of a game that completely bombed. (Seriously, people. Theme Hospital was a total wash-out, and then you create a clone of it?) (Hospital Tycoon)

4. Create a game where the "Easy" difficulty setting is unlocked by repeatedly dying on the "Normal" difficulty setting. (Way to slap the players in the face. It's like saying "You suck. Here's something more your speed. If you fail at this, I suggest Chutes and Ladders.") (Devil May Cry 3)

5. Similar to #1, create an MMO/RPG where gold has infinitely more value than experience. Consequently, cause players to completely avoid doing the majority of quests, as it hurts their gold-per-experience point ratio. (Lineage 2)

6. Actually *remove* unique game features, including entire classes/units, in a game's patch. (I wanted to make this sound more funny, but I simply couldn't. It's just sad enough on its own.) (Savage 2)

7. When creating a sequel to a game, look at the worst features of the game that came before it that everyone complained about. Make sure they remain in the sequel. Then look at the best features of the game before it that everyone applauded. Make sure these get removed. (Too many games to mention.)

8. Request a monthly subscription for a Diablo-clone. Justify this subscription by offering a whole *hour* worth of extra content, if that. (Hellgate: London)

I think that's all I got for right now. Give me time, I'll think of more.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
PM
[Image: Tonberry_by_skexus.jpg]

*Cackles*

Im sure there's something in The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion that was bad... maybe. Not sure. You havint played it have you Grak?

Edit: Ooooh wait, Oblivion may fall under your #7, but again I cant say because I havint played morrowind as extensivly as Oblivion.
"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven."
-Take nothing for granted. -
[Image: tumblr_m3fonvvR601qktztio3_250.gif]
PM
I'm going to suggest any "MMO" where you buy money/gold/credits/items with actual currency beyond the monthly fee. This essentially goes with the gold > experience thing.
[Image: Q1-1.png]

"We are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
~Kurt Vonnegut
PM
Sersay Wrote:Im sure there's something in The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion that was bad... maybe. Not sure. You havint played it have you Grak?

Oh no no, here's one.

9. Create a classless RPG. Design the skill and stat system such that it is actually better to put priority on skills that you will NOT use as your main skills and vica versa (for example, intend to play a warrior and ensure that magic skills are your designated "primary skills," so that you powergame the system into giving you the best level ups.) (Elder Scrolls 4)
PM
I checked out (a privilege GameStop employees have) Monster Madness for the Xbox 360, it was a decent game... but my friends and I got to the Fat Zombie boss fight (two of them, "Here's a boss... before you start... here's another one of him."), everyone but me died, I managed to trap both of them and throw bombs at one until it was dead. I went for the second one without any munitions of sorts, only my mace. Needless to say, I was one-shotted. Next time Adam and I stayed alive, we killed both of them and the gate key they were supposed to leave behind did not show up... We killed them again, I died in the process... no key. Needless to say, we never did end up getting that key.
PM
I'm sorry, Oblivion actually has Classes, Don't Rap on the game cause it's not stereo typical ' I choose this class I'm a mage or warrior' Oblivion was decent, a few glitches, but over all It was great.

As for the worst game design ever:
Bullfango

Anyone who plays the game should get this
PM
Sinjo Wrote:I'm sorry, Oblivion actually has Classes, Don't Rap on the game cause it's not stereo typical ' I choose this class I'm a mage or warrior' Oblivion was decent, a few glitches, but over all It was great.

The "classes" are just a collection of skills...poorly chosen ones at that. My point remains...in Oblivion, you're actually better served by making skills you'll never use as your "major" skills, and then using them to control how fast you level. It's a completely moronic way to design a level system, period.
PM
That's one way you can go about playing it. But that's if you *do* want to powerlevel. It's not as if there is some competition, get to the highest level you can.

If you do that *make a warrior, and make magic your primary skills* You'll level fast, sure, but when you rest to gain levels you'll only get points for what leveled you up - Destruction or Restoration or Alteration or whatever you was doing. Your handicapping your character and essentially turning a warrior into a battlemage, and then into a clean cut spellcaster.
One man
Two guns
Three friends
Four foes
XI Touch
PM
Oblivion still suffers from #1 - the monsters and bosses scale with you. To the point where it actually -breaks- the main campaign, as the NPC guards and allies you get do NOT scale with your level. Ever see a level 3 guard try to beat down a level 26 demon? It doesn't work. That being said, however, the game -was- fun, it just had some fairly major flaws.

Worst game design decisions that I've been faced with recently have been as such:

Take a franchise that is toted as one of the best realistic shooters of our time and completely invalidate it by giving the sequel an outrageous storyline, terrible voice acting, and worst of all, totally unrealistic sounds. Seriously I could forgive everything else if firing your gun wasn't an unsatisfying "pff" and a tank firing nearby didn't even bother you (Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1 & 2)

Make the game so that they only way to get currency is to sit and wait for it while under attack. Seriously, sitting and staring a world map for 60 seconds to get $4000 (which buys you ONE ITEM) is not fun! (Evil Genius)

Completely invalidate the humiliation of a melee kill in a shooter by giving you a five foot lunge whenever you use your melee weapon - to instantly kill the opponent. (Call of Duty 4, and Halo 2, I believe).
PM
Not going to argue about Oblivion. That's not the point of this thread. I'll just say that I stand by the assertion that it had some serious flaws in its leveling system.

suth2436 Wrote:Make the game so that they only way to get currency is to sit and wait for it while under attack. Seriously, sitting and staring a world map for 60 seconds to get $4000 (which buys you ONE ITEM) is not fun! (Evil Genius)

I have to say that "Evil Genius" was one of the most frustrating experiences I have had in a while. On the surface, it plays like the other "Sim Minion" (I'm not sure if that's the proper term, it's just one I made up) games like Dungeon Keeper 1 & 2 and Majesty, both of which I loved to death...yet, despite this, it had something that the other games did not have: an absurd amount of micromanagement. I did not find the idea of having to tag every single person I wanted distracted or killed to be very fun or rewarding for this genre of game, and it's absurdly difficult to make your base even slightly self-sufficient.
PM
A lot of people will disagree with me on this point, but....

Regenerating Shields / Health in First Person Shooters - All recent FPS'.

Ever since that mediocre franchise known as Halo has come out, EVERY fricken shooter has to jump onto the clone band wagon and jack this trait. I. Hate. It.

"But Krent! With Regenerating shield, you no longer have to hunt for health packs all the time! It's less cumbersome and it allows you to jump into the action more often, isn't that what FPS' are all about?"

.....that's one way to look at it. Yes, FPS games are about the action of shooting things with guns. However, call me old fashioned, but I actually like a -small- element of thinking. Some element of tension, some element that makes me contemplate the actions that I take. Having limited health and health packs works for me - it adds that much needed tension. The difference between "100 health and body armor....SHOTGUNZ RAMPAGE TIEM NAO YAY!!!!" and "....13 health. Better whip out my long-ranged guns and do some serious snipe-and-run.". Also works great in pumping out the adrenaline when I walk into a room with 20-ish health and find it filled with Combine soldiers....

With a regenerating shield / health, this element is eliminated completely. Now, theres even less thinking in FPS (Don't get me wrong though - I don't play FPS to think). Took a few bursts of SMG fire to your chest? NO PROBLEM! Go waddle in the corner for 5 seconds, and viola! You're good to go again, yay! It's boring, it's uninspired, and I find it actually makes people who rely on it too much really bad at FPS games.

Take, for instance. Halo 3 came out. Some gaming magazine had a "PC vs Console Players" LAN match. PC guys spent their time playing Counter Strike. Console guys spent their time playing Halo. Console dudes get Halo 3 on console, PC dudes get Halo 3 on PC. PC guys never played a Halo game in their life, but they ended up winning by a large gap. Go google it - quite an entertaining story.

"Genre Identity Disorder" - Tabula Rasa gave me this impression.

Tabula Rasa did this, along with a few others I can't remember now. They tried to be "Innovative" by combining Third-Person shooter elements and RPG elements in one big happy MMO. Problem being (despite all the other design issues in that game), you end up with a poor little game who's struggling to find out what it wants to be. Without making this wall of text even longer than it already is, the game ends up being a poorly designed mess that comes out with an over-all mediocre gaming experience. The Third Person Shooter aspects of Tabula Rasa were boring, repetitive, and dull. The RPG elements of the game lacked all sorts of depth and was very limited. Thus, both parties of genre-goers will simply yawn at the game and move on to something else.

Like I did on day 2 of my "FREE TRIAL"

LAWZ WAT IZ EKONOMI?!?!ELEVEN - Quest 64.
(Also known as "Why did you revive Stalin?".)

Now, Quest 64 is huge offender in the world of gaming. You could probably throw it up as having a "Genre Identity Disorder". But, out of the many evil flaws persistant in that game, the one element of it that was etched into the depths of my cerebral cortext, was the horrible economy system (or complete lack thereof) that the game had.

You got no sort of money. No gold, no coins, no nothing. Whenever you went to town, you'd go to an inn or whatever, and you'd talk to an NPC. The NPC would give you one loaf of bread, EXACTLY ONE, and then wouldn't give you any more until you had already used that piece of bread. Same thing goes for whatever the hell you quaffed to recover MP in that game. Apparently, the world in that game is dictated by evil Stalinists who'll only give you ONE RATION of what you need to stockpile.

Now, it wouldn't be too bad if you....weren't getting ambushed in random encounters every 5 seconds and had NO other way of healing yourself (That I know of....I played Q64 for 5 hours or so and then decided it should purged with a blow torch) or recovering your HP other than using these items. Only other way you find more is if you're VERY lucky enough to get them in after-battle loot, which is rare. Or if ya find the one chest in the dungeon that has one.

It makes for an extremely frustrating game experience. You got roughed up by baddies in the middle of your trip and are on low HP, after you've already used your rationed bread? LAWLZ BETTER BACK TRACK BACK TO THE NEAREST KNOWN TOWN AND HOPE YOU'RE LUCKY ENOUGH TO RUN FROM THE 50 MILLION RANDOM ENCOUNTERS YOU'LL FACE ON THE WAY HARDY HAR HAR HARR.

....Anyway. Those are the three worst offenders pertaining to game design that I can think of right now. I'm sure more will enter into my memory as I think about it.
Spoiler:
Video/Audio embedding in signatures is disabled. To enter the URL as link, please use the "amoff" MyCode. [amoff]URL[/amoff]

"What a mess we made, when it all went wrong..."
PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your Character's Song [Game] Evaszion 254 9,921 12-12-2014, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Esthrunil
  I made my character pretty. Jameston 2 166 06-25-2014, 09:45 AM
Last Post: Jameston
  Spread The Love! (Forum game) Vladdy 130 2,944 05-16-2014, 03:25 PM
Last Post: MstrCorvus
  Forever Alone [Forum Game] Loxmardin 23 874 05-09-2014, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Paylonas