08-26-2020 08:16 AM
» Replies: 15
» Views: 360
What is glistening
Last Post: Xigo
08-17-2020 10:19 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 2647
You are a fond memory. Good night, CoTH...
Last Post: CappnRob
05-01-2020 08:05 PM
» Replies: 32
» Views: 85246
You Can't Go Home Again
Last Post: Scout
03-15-2019 09:24 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 2217
"Years of Service" Awards
Last Post: Maulbane
05-26-2018 09:58 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 3396

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Google AdStuff

The Skeleton in the Closet
Fear. We all experience fear at some point in our lives. What exactly is fear? Well, Google’s wonderful dictionary says that fear is an unpleasant emotion that can be caused by the threat of danger or pain. This seems to be true. Let’s say you see a poisonous snake or spider. Your first reaction will be fear. Well, unless you are the presenter of some wildlife television program or just completely insane tolerant of animals!

Then it gets a little more complicated. Fear has an evil little sibling called Phobia. A phobia develops when you have an extreme fear of something that gets blown up inside your head to the point where you could become paralyzed when facing it.

The top 10 most common fears, according to psychology.about.com, includes fears like arachnophobia (nr 1), the fear of spiders, acrophobia (nr 3), the fear of heights and trypanophobia (nr 7), the fear on being injected. Then there are also a few phobias that are considered absurd. Arachibutyrophobia is the fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth, phobophobia, the fear of having fears, and my personal favorite: hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia, the fear of long words (I hope I ddn’t give anyone a panic attack just now). Some people even have Lutraphobia, the fear of otters. (Specially for @ImagenAshyun)

So without making you fall asleep with a boring lecture about fears and phobias, what are you afraid of? Do you know where this fear/phobia came from? Ever tried to face your fears?

I’ll be the first to start.

Apart from the normal fear of spiders and snakes, I also HATE insects. All of them. Ants, mosquitoes, praying mantises… You name ‘em, I hate ‘em. (I know snakes and spiders are not insects, by the way). I don’t really know why I hate them, and to some extent, fear them. It must be connected to the grotesque idea of some random insect climbing into your mouth while you are asleep?

Moving on, when I was much younger my friend’s dog always had this desire to sink its teeth into my leg, which led to my fear for dogs. And in return, dogs generally don’t like me either. They either bark at me (which is normal), ignore me (which I don’t mind) or snap at me.

Then I have this totally irrational fear of not getting good grades. I even sometimes get nightmares that I am writing a test and I don’t get the desired grade. I know it’s a silly phobia. It might be the result of always being seen as the smart one in the family and trying to keep that standard.

And ghosts. Those things are freaky, man!

I look forward to see what you have to add!

Spoiler:
Phobia, by the way, comes from the Greek word 'Phobos' meaning 'fear'. This is also the name of Mars's closest moon. The other moon of Mars is called Deimos, a Greek word meaning 'dread'. Now that's a nice name to call your undead warlock. :P

[-] The following 1 user Likes Whorak's post:
  • ImagenAshyun
PM
The cure for arachnophobia:

[Image: XY2UD.jpg]

I mean, it's wearing a water droplet as a hat. How could you be afraid of it?

But no, the only fear I actually have is death. And being buried alive maybe.
[Image: anim_500.gif]
[-] The following 3 users Like Geoni's post:
  • ImagenAshyun, Aethon, Whorak
PM
Aside from the obvious fear of death, I actually fear confrontation. I have trouble, say, knocking on a neighbor's door. I will stand up for myself, but not always, because I extremely dislike when you have a negative confrontation with somebody and there's an awkward, edgy air between you and them. I don't know what it is about these things, I'm just very prone to avoiding them. (I actually sometimes have to get my girlfriend to knock on people's doors when we're together.)

Also, I'm afraid of the dark. No, I'm not scared of the dark because of monsters (even though I've never technically disproved ghosts personally), I'm more afraid of what I can't see. Darkness, the kind that's really suffocating (like when you first walk into a dark room after being in a light room) gives my brain this sense of imminent danger, and I go into panic mode. My heart beats a little quicker, my adrenaline flows a little.... Again, I don't know what it is.
[Image: 4ab673a110e5324a7acf57e330a6c8eb.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Valicor's post:
  • Whorak
PM
Confrontation... Hate it... Fear it... Only do it when pressured because of fear.
Insects... Hate 'em with all my being... Fear 'em with my entire being... Want to purge 'em all with Holy Light... Or Felfire... OR BOTH!
I will not be forgotten. This is my time to shine. I've got the scars to prove it. Only the strong survive. I'm not afraid of dying. Everyone has their time. Life never favored weakness.

Welcome to the pride!
PM
(11-21-2013, 11:32 AM)Whorak Wrote: Some people even have Lutraphobia, the fear of otters. (Specially for @ImagenAshyun)

I DO NOT HAVE FEAR OF OTTERS!! DDDDDDD: </3

Except these two.

Spoiler:
[Image: 0yyd.jpg]

That's horrifying.
[Image: 3HQ8ifr.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes ImagenAshyun's post:
  • Whorak
@Maarten you wouldn't last 5 minutes in Australia. Bugs EV-ER-Y-WHERE. All of them can and WILL try to kill you.
“Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”
— G.K. Chesterton

Spoiler:
[Image: tumblr_n9hl98KKPd1r4fnslo1_500.gif]

Have a puppy Ruby and a nice day.
Darkness. Definitely. I'm working on it so I at least can turn the lights off in my room with the door closed, but I'm only barely there now.

Also, murky water.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Loxmardin's post:
  • Whorak
PM
Loxmardin Wrote:Darkness. Definitely. I'm working on it so I at least can turn the lights off in my room with the door closed, but I'm only barely there now.

When I walk through the dark house, I've got enough gumption not to turn every light on, but I usually converse with my cats or hum to myself to keep me distracted until I can get to a light. When I enter my dark room, I turn the light on, get up in bed, close my eyes, and turn the light off. Only after that can I open my eyes and be fine. It's an odd bedtime ritual of mine that I can relate to this.
[Image: 4ab673a110e5324a7acf57e330a6c8eb.jpg]
PM

2:55
[Image: 293D4BE4-7170-4C2A-B8BF-7EA572513EBD.jpg]
Spoiler:
[Image: Lazuri65.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roxas65's post:
  • Cressy
PM
Spiders. I. Hate. Every. Single. One. Of. Them.
"Excellence is when failure becomes improvement"

[Image: a7KvoWr_460sa_v1.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Aethon's post:
  • Whorak
PM
To elaborate on my last post, I'm not afraid of the darkness myself, I was just messing with previous poster.

I honestly don't know what I'm afraid of. There are plenty of things that makes me feel uncomfortable, but nothing that I can think of that would outright terrify me every time. I'm sure there's something, but I can't think what it could possibly be.
[Image: 293D4BE4-7170-4C2A-B8BF-7EA572513EBD.jpg]
Spoiler:
[Image: Lazuri65.png]
PM
Snakes. Those slithering things give me the willies.
[Image: 54079-Dr-Evil-air-quotes-lasers-gif-A6nY.gif]
PM
I can deal with some reptiles. SOME. Snakes, crocodiles, and any thing with freaking massive jaws just irks me. Like, maximum over-rustle irk.
Perhaps it is your imperfection that which grants you free will, that allows you to persevere against cosmically calculated odds. You prevailed where the Titans' own perfect creations have failed.

- Algalon, The Observer

Spoiler:
[Image: tumblr_m00qfdoBWr1qd87hlo1_500.gif]

i am sea-bass
PM
I'm just going to waltz in here and note that there's such a thing as Thalassophobia in real life.

It's fun to imagine that there is a condition in Warcraft that - while it technically has the same name as the IRL phobia - refers to a crippling phobia of everything Blood Elven.
PM
Sometimes I don't know if I'm afraid of something or not. I mean, there are the fears that people usually have... Spiders? No mortal fear for spiders. Insects? The same. Dark? I had some when I was little because my brother and cousins frequently jumped out of it to scare me, but I already got over it. Sometimes I even feel very comfortable when I lay on my bed and stare at the darkness. I get good moments of meditation that way.

I believe that I just get afraid of taking risks. I mean, I'll not get in a paralytic state just by getting on a high place, but I'll take care not to slip when I'm at the edge of a 30m tall waterfall.

Though I think there's one thing I'm mortally afraid of. Ending up totally alone. I really depend on having friends. And I still hope that a girl will be stupid enough to fall in my trap-- *cough* I mean... *cough* ...like me. Dying alone is something I'm... horrified about.
PM