08-26-2020 08:16 AM
» Replies: 15
» Views: 356
What is glistening
Last Post: Xigo
08-17-2020 10:19 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 2615
You are a fond memory. Good night, CoTH...
Last Post: CappnRob
05-01-2020 08:05 PM
» Replies: 32
» Views: 85210
You Can't Go Home Again
Last Post: Scout
03-15-2019 09:24 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 2196
"Years of Service" Awards
Last Post: Maulbane
05-26-2018 09:58 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 3391

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Google AdStuff

The Skeleton in the Closet
I love snakes, spiders, and anything that creeps and crawls. I have an extreme fear of closets and high population areas and cities. I'll explain once I'm home.

Sent from the Polish Space Station via my TOASTER279071.999(?)
Spoiler:
THERE IS NO POINT TO BE ALIVE, IF YOU CAN'T DO DEADLIFT.
[Image: jon_pall_sigmarsson_b35428d97635b2e7c405...2df3c3.gif]

Spoiler:
[Image: SQ0XvlU.gif]
PM
So I was thinking about why I'm so scared of water, and it turns out that I'm afraid of the unknown and the unability to see.

And sharks. Those are scary too, even though they are not even nearly as dangerous to humans as they 'say'.
"Excellence is when failure becomes improvement"

[Image: a7KvoWr_460sa_v1.gif]
PM
(12-03-2013, 09:42 AM)Aethon Wrote: So I was thinking about why I'm so scared of water, and it turns out that I'm afraid of the unknown and the unability to see.

And sharks. Those are scary too, even though they are not even nearly as dangerous to humans as they 'say'.

They're still dangerous. They don't eat people, but they become curious. And when they're curious they try a practice bite, just like children do. Problem is, that curiosity bite causes a lot of injuries.
[Image: 293D4BE4-7170-4C2A-B8BF-7EA572513EBD.jpg]
Spoiler:
[Image: Lazuri65.png]
PM
As I was saying earlier today, I am absolutely terrified of high population cities. Now, let me explain:

I live in the Cary-Apex area of North Carolina which is right next to the 9th best city to live in America, Raleigh. There's about a population of 17+ million people and quickly growing. I'm so darned scared to go to Raleigh because if we walk around there's so many dangers. Hooligans, Anarchists, Riots, Criminals... I swear huge places are ticking timebombs. I love the quiet countryside and small towns. I'm not much of a believer of the incoming apocalypse because there's no way it'd happen during our time but I would NOT want to be in a place like New York if it happened. But we all know that if it happened tomorrow you, me, and the rest of CotH would most likely be dead.

As for closets.. I was traumatized as a kid. Don't want to talk about it.
Spoiler:
THERE IS NO POINT TO BE ALIVE, IF YOU CAN'T DO DEADLIFT.
[Image: jon_pall_sigmarsson_b35428d97635b2e7c405...2df3c3.gif]

Spoiler:
[Image: SQ0XvlU.gif]
PM
An interesting possibility for phobias:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/scien...stors.html

I was just reading this the other day and thought some of you might like to (though, I'm particularly uncertain about the move of some geneticists today to attribute -everything- to genes. Epigenetics definitely plays a factor in this too).

Oh, and as for fears, falling. Not heights but falling and the feeling of that drop. It's a funny thing that I can feel fine on any roller coaster except giant drops where I lose it.
[Image: c9eda896-b205-41b9-9f52-22b1e122210f.jpg]
PM
I am not an expert on the subject of biology, but that is quite an interesting article and possibility. Thank you for sharing that with us, @Duraza !

PM
(12-04-2013, 09:18 AM)Duraza Wrote: An interesting possibility for phobias:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/scien...stors.html

I was just reading this the other day and thought some of you might like to (though, I'm particularly uncertain about the move of some geneticists today to attribute -everything- to genes. Epigenetics definitely plays a factor in this too).

Epigenetics is still a baby science and there's a lot that remains unproven because there needs to be at least another good century of studying in order to validate some of its hypothesis. But it's not a stretch to say that epigenetics could play a factor in this, considering some of the things about disease and sex determination that have been discovered; a lot could be possible. But even so, there's already a lot of evidence that genetics do play a factor in personality, but with fears, I'd still just stuff that genetics factor into the bio of the biopsychosocial model.

I'm partial to the idea that our more innate fears, such as height, loud noises, and fire are products of the adaptation of the fight or flight response that we and other animals have. Because, y'know, it's about getting away from danger that presents the risk of fatality. Fear helps in encouraging the whole 'don't go near that' or 'get away'.

There's also a lot of argument as to whether or not fear of darkness is something that we all have. I'm not sure which side of the argument I'm on there, but it is a sensible though, that darkness is a type of fear of the unknown. Just manifested in a very physical way. If one of your senses is suddenly disabled, your mind body doesn't know what to do with itself.

...Other fears? There's usually a social reason behind them.
[Image: anim_500.gif]
PM
Quote:of the fight or flight response

Don't forget about their terrible sister, freeze!

People would either run away, confront the danger or simply be paralyzed. I wonder where that comes from.

PM
(12-04-2013, 11:59 AM)Whorak Wrote:
Quote:of the fight or flight response

Don't forget about their terrible sister, freeze!

People would either run away, confront the danger or simply be paralyzed. I wonder where that comes from.

If I'm not mistaken, that's when something goes wrong with the fight/flight response and the brain is unable to decide. Instead of doing any, it does neither.

Don't quote me on that, though.
[Image: 293D4BE4-7170-4C2A-B8BF-7EA572513EBD.jpg]
Spoiler:
[Image: Lazuri65.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roxas65's post:
  • Whorak
PM