08-26-2020 08:16 AM
» Replies: 15
» Views: 388
What is glistening
Last Post: Xigo
08-17-2020 10:19 AM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 2842
You are a fond memory. Good night, CoTH...
Last Post: CappnRob
05-01-2020 08:05 PM
» Replies: 32
» Views: 85632
You Can't Go Home Again
Last Post: Scout
03-15-2019 09:24 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 2373
"Years of Service" Awards
Last Post: Maulbane
05-26-2018 09:58 PM
» Replies: 100
» Views: 3414

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

[-]
Google AdStuff

Thoughts on Dark Souls
Greetings Everyone. ^.^ I am realitively new to COTH, but I decided to post this thread and was wondering if anyone else has heard of the game 'Dark Souls' A game that, while not sharing the same storyline is basically the second of another game called 'Demon's Souls'. While, I know this is kinda odd for me to bring up, but due to his beauty and relative difficulty I was wondering if there are any other plays of such a game here?

I will include a video of the game below, its for the PS3 platform and basically 'just' came out. I am a fan of its predecessor so I was just curious if other fans were around.

Thank You, For taking the time to read and/or contribute. ^.^

P.S. That video I mentioned.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7U-a9pJtHQ
PM
Praise the Sun!

(I do play it, yes.)
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
PM
A friend recommended I play it, but I only have so much money these days.

It looks good through the trailers, but what's the gameplay like? I heard it can get reeeeaaally frustrating...
[Image: 1733185_o.gif]
PM
I got it and disliked it. I bought it because I heard it was hard, and that it was, although I found it to be hard in a very dumb way. The difficulty for me came through flawed control. I say that seeing an attack come, spam circle to roll away only for your character to do nothing is not my idea of a balanced difficulty. Furthermore, the game, and the difficulty, is dependent on pretty much learning the game by heart. The whole game is just one long test of pattern recognition and logic. The game is literally one long IQ test, and it really feels like it too. The game just ended up in frustration for me because of the flawed controls and I didn't really find the whole IQ test part to be fun gameplay. I just didn't find it fun and that's the thing I look for in gaming. Also, being a Japanese game that's not from one of the big developers, you can see the trademark sloppiness in the graphics, animations and gameworld and it annoys the crap out of me. Not to mention that the "character creation" system was the most worthless crap I've ever stumbled upon. They should instead just call it "Create a random character and pray to God you can cover up that horrible face with a helmet." There's a reason I picked knight as starting class, lawl. But it's good for some people to have a game that challenges them, so I'm still glad Dark Souls exists. Also, that game has one of the best stories ever. There are always some stores that breaks street dates and Dark souls is no exception. So when people got the game early and were playing online, the devs intruded into their world and spawned maximum level monsters. Lulz were had. . . .By the devs.
[Image: 293D4BE4-7170-4C2A-B8BF-7EA572513EBD.jpg]
Spoiler:
[Image: Lazuri65.png]
PM
(11-03-2011, 03:29 AM)Roxas65 Wrote: I got it and disliked it. I bought it because I heard it was hard, and that it was, although I found it to be hard in a very dumb way. The difficulty for me came through flawed control. I say that seeing an attack come, spam circle to roll away only for your character to do nothing is not my idea of a balanced difficulty.

I would just like to mention, If you are a Knight and try to roll away you either can't, because of Low Agility or your armor impedes you. xP

The gameplay requires that you better yourself more than anything, that you learn patterns like Roxas65 said and learn how to work the world as it were to your own advantage unlike most games we have in America, this one does not hold your hand throughout it although you can get hints from other plays on what to do next when needed if you are playing online.

The online play is wonderful, you can either help or hunt other players in their own worlds as well as join faction/make a convent with different factions who wish for you to do certain things, such as kill other plays or help them. I must admit, I have only read reviews myself about Dark Souls; but from what I have heard it is an improved version of Demon's Souls its predecessor and the 2009 Game of the Year, as well as considered one of the hardest games to ever come to the U.S.

On a note about the gameplay, I will not like. You will die, and I mean often at first at least that is. The game can be frustrating and easily make you want to track down and kick the game makers, but each time you achieve something it will be worth while. Because you will know not only did you earn it, but in getting it you actually had to use active logic and be able to see patterns in your enemies movements, basically learning and breaking their fighting styles.
PM
*Chuckles*

You played as a knight? Well, don't expect to be doing flips and stuff in that suit of armor! I play a Pyromancer with high endurance (first thing I level up is END), and I just roll around everywhere! Likewise, I can sprint really fast. The class you pick is really important, believe it or not, because it dictates what equipment you start with and how your playstyle will be for a number of levels. Pick a knight? Slow moving tank. Hunter? Shoot people! Magician? Fire missiles! Pyromancer? Burn stuff and pray your crappy axe can take them out!

You can make a nice face if you take the time. It's just not going to be an anime face or perfect. Appearance isn't that important really. Because, aye, it will likely be covered up by a helmet.

Anyway, playing relatively straight through the game, it's a matter of experimentation and observation. If you charge forward and expect to kill those giant rats in a swing or two, well, you're not going to live very long.

The controls are good, IMO. It's just that you need to use the right tool for situations.

It is not so much difficult as in it requires a great deal of skill. It is difficult in that it requires dedication, observation, learning.

It does not rely on memorization, so long as you -take things slowly-. I recall demolishing the 3-1 and 3-2 worlds in one go back in ye olde Demon's Souls.

I'll compare it to Monster Hunter in difficulty. Sure, it's hard if you just attack attack attack. But if you take the time necessary to defeat each monster, making sure you are safe when you strike, then victory will be at hand.

I won't deny that there are some cheap deaths though.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
PM
Everybody does state that actually finishing something feels more rewarding and I don't think it is. I'm more like "finally, goddammit. . .Oh look, another encounter just as frustrating as the last one *sigh*" And then I die and they all respawn. yeah, awesome.

And just to point out, I haven't -just- played night. I played a wanderer too and it was the same thing there.

I don't deny that Dark Souls takes dedication. However, it's dedication I can't give it. It's far from the only game I play and basically every game I play right now, I enjoy more than Dark Souls.

Also, as far as I've gone. . . The story is absolutely pathetic, which, after all, isn't at all unusual for a Japanese game. There's just something that irks me so much whenever Japanese developers try to make a game in a western setting or feel. It rarely gets done right.

EDIT: Just for the lulz, I'll add that I did spend a long time in the char creator. A lot of people knows I love games with char creation and I've done some real masterpieces and I spent an hour in Dark soul' char creation and my character still looked as though she had been repeatedly hit in the face with a tire iron and had a body that made me think she had been having an IV with steroids hooked up to her for a couple of weeks. In the end I decided to screw it and rolled a male char instead, but no matter how much I struggled, he just got a baby face and the body of Arnold Schwarzenegger. At that point I just said "Screw it" and rolled knight, so I could start with a helmet.

I should also add that I'm not saying Dark Souls is a bad game. It's just not the right game for me.
Spoiler:
PM
The story and lore's all there if you look hard for it. It's just not tossed in your f-.

*Is pounced*

... Your face.
PM
*Sits atop Xigo*

I have yet to try this game, but I've heard a lot about it and I'd love to try it given the chance.
PM
Eh. It's either a 'you love it' or 'you hate it' game.

I could totally go into the lore of it all though. It's pretty awesome.
PM
You ninja'd me before I edited my last post.

And Loxxy you can always try it at my place. I still have it.

Anyways, the whole game, the system, the environments, animations, designs, voice acting. . . The whole game just came off as. . .Sloppy to me. And it irked me.
Spoiler:
PM
... I will crash at your place one of these days, then!
PM
heh. Dunno if I have any time this week, though.
Spoiler:
PM
^.^ I thank you all for your input and opinions, and after I have actually played it a bit. And broaden my knowledge of the game I might actually post a thread on the lore of it, just so Xigo can geek out on it and go lore happy. xP

Anyway, Once again I thank you all for the input.
PM
You seem nice. What other games do you play?
Spoiler:
PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My pointless thoughts on WoW's relation to Weapons of War. Snuggley 1 168 10-30-2014, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Zenethen
  Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark c0rzilla 14 1,532 07-31-2013, 08:15 AM
Last Post: c0rzilla
  Thoughts written on paper: Evil. Kira13 1 179 12-13-2012, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Scow2
  Your thoughts on more digital Ebenezer 0 309 01-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Ebenezer
  Amnesia - The Dark Descent arbator177 41 2,393 12-24-2011, 12:06 PM
Last Post: arbator177