Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Songs and Liability
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've noticed a distinct lack of bards or other music loving characters.

If one were to make one (though they can be very annoying in certain situations, it's one of the things you have to know how to do without spamming chat) would it all have to be original works or would certain songs from real life bands be allowed?
I think that it would be clever if you could manipulate current day songs/bands into parodies. I know I've done it once or twice with my own characters.

As for not many people playing bards, I think the reason is that music is something you actually need to hear, and it's difficult to blur that line between RPing and real life. I've always thought it would be clever if someone could use a ventrillo or somesuch to hold little mini-concerts of their characters performing songs, if one was as musically-inclined as their character.
Understandable. Blurring real life songs isn't too hard with some.

Spoiler:

And that is mainly because a lot of songs carry odd beats. This is very prominent in self made poetry trying to be put into the game, if it doesn't have iambic pentameter.
Bards are alot of fun... when you are about three players, anything else and singing just becomes a spam. I knew one back on Defias that used alot of real life music in his performances, like Greensleeves.
Heh, yeah. It really depends on how active those three people are. I've seen an entire room of quiet people before...and generally female bards get better reception. It's when people assert themselves into an RP in action and begin spamming a song they copied down on notepad that it turns into angry, angry spam.
I think what should be done, unless you have a sponcer or are reknown, is that people should simply be in the background of like a tavern. Sitting at a tavern and playing with premission of the owner. It won't be so much a concert as it is background music for all others, but simply the humble idea alone sounds like it'd be a lot of fun to me. If done right it wouldn't need to be spam, like 1 emote for the entire song or big points of the song. Though, singing could of course lead to spam sadly if people just hit up the lyrics, rather than just having pauses before hitting up a next line. Songs don't sound like:

"thisisasongiamsayingitallatoncelookatmego"

They have pauses and music often played in the gaps, but not always!
Jeff Wrote:I think what should be done, unless you have a sponcer or are reknown, is that people should simply be in the background of like a tavern. Sitting at a tavern and playing with premission of the owner. It won't be so much a concert as it is background music for all others, but simply the humble idea alone sounds like it'd be a lot of fun to me. If done right it wouldn't need to be spam, like 1 emote for the entire song or big points of the song. Though, singing could of course lead to spam sadly if people just hit up the lyrics, rather than just having pauses before hitting up a next line. Songs don't sound like:

"thisisasongiamsayingitallatoncelookatmego"

They have pauses and music often played in the gaps, but not always!

Great idea, I totally agree.