Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Timeline after the Restart
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
So! I'm still at a bit of an impasse in regards to where precisely we'll be after the restart. That is, whether we will be right before the 'death' of the Lich King (as in, his citadel is about to get stormed or is under siege already), or right after, with the deed just having been done.

What do you all believe? Where should we be? Please be sure to elaborate on why you chose what you did!
I would like before the Lich King's death the best. I enjoy in Lore when there is at least one main enemy, a "boss" if you will. After the Lich King's death who remains? Little patches of his minions? Naw, I think it would be more fun RP-wise if he were kept him alive... at least for now.
Ultimately, the problem with the timeline being before the LK's death is that, in the end, it will be ultimately meaningless.

For one, we would never be able to do the LK's death justice. At all. He's either going to die off-screen anyway, or it will require a gigantic event that I don't think we're capable of doing. At the same time, the LK's existence, or lack thereof, really has little bearing when there's nothing leading up to it. There's no build-up due to the restart, nothing that makes the final confrontation have any weight.

I think this question will mostly have an impact only on how Forsaken and Death Knights are RPed, since they're the ones whose existences are mostly defined by their hatred of Arthas.
Grakor456 Wrote:Ultimately, the problem with the timeline being before the LK's death is that, in the end, it will be ultimately meaningless.

For one, we would never be able to do the LK's death justice. At all. He's either going to die off-screen anyway, or it will require a gigantic event that I don't think we're capable of doing. At the same time, the LK's existence, or lack thereof, really has little bearing when there's nothing leading up to it. There's no build-up due to the restart, nothing that makes the final confrontation have any weight.

I think this question will mostly have an impact only on how Forsaken and Death Knights are RPed, since they're the ones whose existences are mostly defined by their hatred of Arthas.
That is a very good point, I did not think of it like that.
I think we've had enough Lich King anyway. If we have it post-death then we can focus more on Horde-Alliance war and make our own battles in preparation for the world being blown up. Muahaha.
I have to say, post liche king's death. As Kretol says. Either we need to have like a 40man level 80 raid of tier 10 wearing people.... And even then, its probably just a cut scene that we can look at on youtube. I say post LK's death. Its better that way. And what that other guy said... All truces and temporary alliances are off, as the main enemy is gone. Power struggles within each faction, power struggles for people trying to dominate places like Ashenvale, the Barrens, etc, etc. And yeah. Gear up to prepare for the Cataclysm of AWESOME!
Who cares about seeing the Lich King die... well... everyone.

But, what I want to see is a massive party for the returning armies of both horde and alliance and because of the fall of evil etc etc. Like in SW 6 when the death star blows up and the ewoks are going crazy. And talking about arranging an event for it, lets face the fact that there might not be enough of us to have a party for both alliance and horde so lets have a cross faction party in a neutral setting. Perhpas in NR even? Dalaran? Oh dear... I think my knees just went weak.

Anyhow, something needs to come out of the death of the LK and I say arranging a party is easiest and best.

But as for the RP point of time after reset, I say after LK... those with the literate skills can write an epic story about the fall of the lich king and what happens all around the world.
I say we head straight into the action supplied to us by Cataclysm.

I say we disregard the Lich King, and put the WAR back into WARcraft, with good old Alliance vs Horde action. It's lacking a lot nowdays, and with it reintroduced, we'll be able to have some friendly OHGODTHERE'SASWORDINMYBACK fun!

And Judgernaut, I'd be happy to help with the piece of literature about the Lich King being kerpwnt.
I have to agree. As much as I'd love to take down the Lich King, I know it'll never happen. I say post death. And I second the idea of a party. In Dalaran. It would really be awesome.
KNowing COTH's history with larger events, I think that this should start at a point after Arthas dies. Usually an event like this kills the GM involved, and either doesn't get finished, or is done in a hurry and ends up being half-arsed.

That being said, I like the idea of COTH starting out JUST before Cata.
I was looking forward to adding the experience of his involvement in the LK's defeat to a lucky one of my characters. That's hard to do when it isn't a shared experience with other characters.

I don't get the "it has to be perfect and grand or not at all" thing, either. A schedguled event that's run with no-more-advanced technicalities than other events would be fine - since it's about the RP, not the gameplay. I don't need a DnD boss-kill, I need to see how the experience changes my character involved, and how my non-involved characters feel with characters that -were- involved running around.

Should overcrowding be an issue - the GM could split the grand party into a number of squads that have different objectives that have to be fufilled simultaneously to insure the defeat of Arty. Anything'd be better than skipping such a great background-builder moment.

One more thing is about Cata - there will likely be a looooong period of time between the restart and Cata coming to CotH functionally.

But - a minimum - would indeed be a massive Dalaran "afterparty".
DaveM Wrote:I was looking forward to adding the experience of his involvement in the LK's defeat to a lucky one of my characters. That's hard to do when it isn't a shared experience with other characters.

I don't get the "it has to be perfect and grand or not at all" thing, either. A schedguled event that's run with no-more-advanced technicalities than other events would be fine - since it's about the RP, not the gameplay. I don't need a DnD boss-kill, I need to see how the experience changes my character involved, and how my non-involved characters feel with characters that -were- involved running around.

Should overcrowding be an issue - the GM could split the grand party into a number of squads that have different objectives that have to be fufilled simultaneously to insure the defeat of Arty. Anything'd be better than skipping such a great background-builder moment.

One more thing is about Cata - there will likely be a looooong period of time between the restart and Cata coming to CotH functionally.

But - a minimum - would indeed be a massive Dalaran "afterparty".

The reason this would have to be an "Absolutely perfect" defeat or whatever, or storyline, is because Arthas went down a specific way. He was actually defeated by two specific people, -not- a hoard of heros hell bent on his destruction.

And we all know there is a long period of time between now and Cata... but that's part of the fun. Building up morale, and pretending everything is going swell for months, then BOOM death, destruction, and dragons.

In my opinion, doing the event with the Death of the Lich King would be time consuming, and a long haul for a handful of GMs that would actually handle it. I think it's a lot of work, all for the sake of having people say "Yeah I was there".

I dunno. I just think the point of the restart is to get rid of the borked up custom crap and to set us to current date lore so that we can move on and actually keep this place from being as stagnant feeling as it honestly has felt for so long.
Judgernaut Wrote:But, what I want to see is a massive party for the returning armies of both horde and alliance and because of the fall of evil etc etc. Like in SW 6 when the death star blows up and the ewoks are going crazy. And talking about arranging an event for it, lets face the fact that there might not be enough of us to have a party for both alliance and horde so lets have a cross faction party in a neutral setting. Perhpas in NR even? Dalaran? Oh dear... I think my knees just went weak.

Anyhow, something needs to come out of the death of the LK and I say arranging a party is easiest and best.

This. Judgie, we need this. I've waited for ages for some character of mine to be able to have fun in Dalaran (I don't play mages).

I vote for epic afterparty. And either Tharny or Anitarko must be there ICly.
Post-LK, for sure. Judging by the death cinematic, the idea seems to be that the world doesn't know the details of his death, so random people from all over the place being there wouldn't quite make sense in my opinion.

Also, I think a misunderstanding/massacre at a grand afterparty would be the perfect reason for re-reigniting racial hatreds and all the WAR that's been missing lately. (Without completely disregarding those who like a neutral setting :D)
I say post-death just because, without a common enemy, tensions will be high between the Alliance and Horde.

And that's how it should be.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5