Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Thumbs down?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I've noticed a huge flaw with the thumbs up system. Even if there is something I strongly disagree with, or that a majority of the -server- disagrees with, there'd be no way to take it off the toplist if this was a general consensus due to the fact that if a good number of people vote it up, it stays up.

Now I understand, it'd probably be used as a tool to flame others, but perhaps it could be done anonimously somehow? I'm not sure how the forums work, and I know this is a question more suited for Kretol than anyone else, but I think it might be helpful in some certain cases where I see loads of thumbs up on a post that comes off to me as being... silly.

It's like trying to collect a one sided opinion, I think. You either like it or are neutral to it.
Why does that make too much sense?
I dunno. I really don't know why it hasn't been brought up. I didn't even think of it till I was looking at the "Toplist" and saw something that I didn't agree with... and I know quite a few others didn't either. But it was up there because simply there is no way to control who gives it a thumbs up, and there is no way to show that you don't agree with it other than posting in the topic that you don't, which doesn't succeed in moving it down from the toplist.
Like YouTube! /nod
Sort of. I could see how feelings could get hurt seeing "DiesUltime Disagrees" under someone's post though, but I think it'd be better seeing "This topic has been voted down."
Could have a potential for griefing. I know there's been some things I majorly disagree with, but that doesn't mean I need to express that through downvoting.
'Thumbs down' on a forum caused the destruction of my Warcraft 3 clan some time ago, SCED (those of you whom have heard the tale from me, know what I refer to).

I am strongly against this. It brings nothing but trouble. I know we're a lot more mature than my old clan. But the whole 'thumbs down' system is what brought it down due to people getting personal over it.

Perhaps my experiences color my point of view too thickly. But... please.

Please.

Don't implement it.
Honestly, if a thumbs down affects someone, it's really because their incredebly insecure. But thats my opinion. Ether you can add a thumbs down or not, it doesn't matter, but if you wont add a thumbs down, you might as well get rid of the thumbs up.
Well, I could see it as disparaging if every time you posted something, it got thumbed down by someone, and it might happen too. Maybe that's just me.

And everyone gets insecure at times, that doesn't mean that their feelings should be entirely disregarded.
Hmm, human emotion is over rated. ~Sage nod~ But anyway, I guess that makes sense.
I know that I would personally hate to see my posts thumbs downed, I'm a little insecure about myself. I like to know that people find my posts helpful and all of that, not the other way around. It's much better to have people say 'Hey! I like this idea!' rather than seeing them say 'Bah! This is pointless! Why'd you even post that?'.
I am against a thumbs-down system, for reasons mentioned above by both Bounty and Xigo.

Not just that, but I believe that the CoTH community is not a competition of thumbs ups and downs, instead being a conglomerate of people, with various opinions, likes and dislikes, but that can form a cohesive group that works together for the enjoyment of the entirety of its members.

Now, if you could stomach that long sentence, you'll be able to stomach the TL;DR version: It'll cause mini thumbs-wars.

In fact, people might even disregard the content of the post - good or not - and instead focus on rating the person that posted it, which is unfair, in my opinion. And as a certain purple paladin once said 'Real Life may not be fair, but CoTH tries to be.'
Actually I believe it is a competition of thumbs ups and downs, just replace ups and downs with "Lore" and "The weird ones"
Then can we get rid of the thumbs up? It seems pointless if it's not going to actually rate something. It's just sort of a "Hey look at me!" option, and can draw attention to things that people could mostly disagree with.

It's interesting that everyone is so against this. Yet, think of it this way. If enough people give me thumbs up on this topic, I -could- end up on the toplist. Even if a majority of you don't agree with the topic.
He has a point, if your agrument is that it shouldn't matter if someone dislikes your post, then why does it matter at all?

-Edit-

As in it shouldn't matter if someone likes it or not.
Pages: 1 2 3