Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: Ambiance Enhancing Characters!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My basic idea was the following:

Create a couple of characters which would have a role in the WoW economy, military, or anything, basically making the crowds and ambiance less NPC-ish and more lively.

Examples would be Innkeepers, librarians, soldiers, traveling merchants, aspiring Magi, and stuff.

Problem is, one of those characters at a time is a whee bit too few.

Feedback. /hug
This is essentially what I try to do.

>.>
I'm making a Bard... does that count?

Granted he plays Rock and Heavy Metal...
I've got an assistant auctioneer (Queneylis), and a doctor (Thani, complete with staffed lab!) if you count those.

Needless to say, Quen enjoys a bit of snark about the strange auctionhouses in WoW.
There -used- to be a mailman guild.
Meh. Taking this a bit more seriously would actually do some good, ya'know?
So, I love the idea.

For one, I have a minstrel-engineer, whom admittedly, hasn't played in a while, but since she last did her work, Lari managed to gather eighty gold coins(And that's a pretty enormous amount).

On another note, I also play a therapist, since the world of Azeroth is a stressful and frustrating place, filled with danger, death and horrible things, and Laranor is pretty well-off. Currently employed by Deepriver Labs, owned by Thani.

Last, but most certainly not least, there's the Brewmaster of the lot. As likely to hammer people's faces in with fists as she is to get them hammered with booze, Serenwylde delights in making drinks tailored to the people she knows. To name but a few:
-Skaar's searing spittle,
-Kenarith's keepsake krupnik,
-Shivala's shanking schnapps,
-Ventus' happytime nightmare,
-Hirane's harrowing horilka,
...and so on. Each with their own effects. From becoming colorblind and losing your sense of taste for a while, to being easily distracted by rapid-moving objects that seem to slow down as you watch them, to being enraged, or happy, or elderly and wise.

S'yeah. I -like- playing that type of characters.
(07-05-2011, 10:33 AM)flammos200 Wrote: [ -> ]Deepriver Labs

A) That! We need a laboratory where we could test for medicine and such, saving the mankind. That's what we need! A hospital!

Even after tiring fights and restless spars, one will certainly need medical care, right?

B) I was not thinking of asking you guys if you already have such characters, I was more-so thinking of checking the /who list, finding where people are RPing, and intervene!

Let's say that a group of people are travelling from Stormwind City to Booty Bay. We roll a select group of bandits and encounter them asking for a 'toll'. If they agree to pay without any real 'action', we start a fight among ourselves about sharing the money, and it brings immersion to the RP experience, per-se? :B
I would most definitely be down for this.

Now, if only my WoW would work...
(07-05-2011, 11:16 AM)Kirabo Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-05-2011, 10:33 AM)flammos200 Wrote: [ -> ]Deepriver Labs

A) That! We need a laboratory where we could test for medicine and such, saving the mankind. That's what we need! A hospital!

Even after tiring fights and restless spars, one will certainly need medical care, right?

Deepriver Labs's located in Silvermoon. So, no chance of helping out Allies either way. That, and it's staffed by Blood Elves... and soon to be, one lab zombie. Generally, 's a medical clinic and research station. Treating patients for funds to use in research in both medical and engineering research.

As for option B, Kirabo, you have to keep in mind that those people should likely be okay with the interaction before you do it. Since RP is consensual.

So, basically, if their RP is private, or if they're already on a storyline, one can't really put up tolls and do banditry.
Psh, it was a silly example.

'Sides, of course we'd have to ask the roleplayers (in this case, travelers) if they wanted us to interfere with a short event or not.

As for the hospital, we either need an inter-factional one, or an alliance medical hub.

The final sentence of your signature denotes Schizophrenia.
The problem is that it can get boring very quickly for persons RPing these special characters.

A soldier not fighting, alone, no commander? He'll get bored fast.
An Innkeeper with no or almost no customers? Same.

All of these would participate a lot to the life, but as many players remains a little bit everywhere on the map, that would probably not work.

Everbody RPing in the same town : Possible Tavern/Inn, Municipal Watch, doctor, even haircutter when we think about it. That's what we saw on my past server, basicly everybody was in the same town, and admins offered different post as a sergeant and two guards for the town watch, and other ideas went by players.

I believe that everybody would like to RP such a character time to time, but we definitely need a "common town" before it start.
I think the point is that they're supposed to be boring to play. They're the nameless, cliché, overdone, average person you'll see in a fantasy setting. The crabby merchant, helpful inn keeper, two dimensional bandit, and morally ambiguous politician among other things. They'd likely be simple throw away characters used for one or two RPs, and not played specifically for your own enjoyment, but for the pleasure of those playing here on our server. What goes around comes around, and if you sacrifice your time and effort to make another person's RP better, they might just return the favor some day. In that sense, it's not an entirely selfless act.
(07-05-2011, 06:18 PM)Beltharean Wrote: [ -> ]I think the point is that they're supposed to be boring to play. They're the nameless, cliché, overdone, average person you'll see in a fantasy setting. The crabby merchant, helpful inn keeper, two dimensional bandit, and morally ambiguous politician among other things. They'd likely be simple throw away characters used for one or two RPs, and not played specifically for your own enjoyment, but for the pleasure of those playing here on our server. What goes around comes around, and if you sacrifice your time and effort to make another person's RP better, they might just return the favor some day. In that sense, it's not an entirely selfless act.

Making an average character isn't quite a terrible chore- I had the impression that this is basically just talking about non-battle characters, though, so I might be wrong from my first glance.

I myself RP an author and scientist, and that's fairly entertaining- while you can start off with a rather stock personality (pretentious man of intelligence) that doesn't necessarily mean it should be a bland character. After all, characters such as warriors and magi come from a rather stock fantasy archetypes (veteran soldier), its just that we tend to think these as more interesting.

I kinda argue that you can make lots of stock characters interesting, depending how you spin it.

After all, Barney from Half Life started out as a faceless guard NPC.

[Image: 250px-Half-Life_Blue_Shift_box.jpg]

Then he got his own game.

And let's not talk about a certain background derpface pony.
One of my mains, Thraze, was originally a character like this which is why I'm so open to it. I just wanted to make a regular old racist troll since there weren't many around aside from Jabtok at the time. He started to grow an actual personality and a history after a while, and then ended up what he is today. It was interesting to watch. I also did it with Ritchie, in his own sense, but he started off as a blank slate character, and now he's cracked Blood Elf Nobles' skulls, killed a Night Elf with his fists, and sparta kicked a cowboy. Oh, he's come so far.

That being said, anyone who's thinking about doing this, as Rigley said don't be surprised if you find it quite a bit of fun. It can be a drag at times, since playing nameless peasant 3254532f534 (How'd that f get in there?) might not always be enjoyable, but on there's always the off chance they might become your own personal little gem.

Remember, RP is as much an act for your own enjoyment, as it is for others. That doesn't seem to be acknowledged as much as it should, and...

[Image: You%20Can%20Make%20a%20Difference2.jpg]

Now get out there and RP, minio- I mean, citizens of CotH!
Pages: 1 2