Conquest of the Horde

Full Version: General Limit and Goggles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
There is this really annoying thing in general chat... where you can't post but a couple messages before getting blocked for a short amount of time. Short as it may be the 2 post limit is rather annoying for general chat! I'm sure we don't have to worry about anyone here using it to sell gold or anything, or honestly using general chat for spam. I think the limit could affect RP since people sometimes in events use general chat for OOC talk. So that's just the first thing I wanted to suggest.

The second is the goggles... it's always a nuisance when you are all the way out in Stormwind or Hearthglen or wherever that distant point making place is, and you forgot goggles. You are setting up your character and are already in a group to go RP, and they are waiting on you. You finally get your character's outfit set up, and you port out to the location. You arrive at the scene only to find... everyone is nekked!

We've all had it happen to us. Well, okay a lot of us have had the problem. We could simply ask a GM to give us a pair, but that has two problems with it. One, the GMs aren't always around and two, why leave it up to having to ask for help or run all the way back when there is an easier (I think) solution?

Perhaps if the goggles were able to be gotten through the .add command, we wouldn't have troubles when we go out on adventures and show up missing a pair. A simply .lo rp and then a .add and we're all set!

Sorry if these things have already been brought up, it's just some things I thought of... Also sorry if the goggles are addable in some way. As far as I was able to tell they are not.
The chat limit doesn't seem to be able to be changed at present, unfortunately; and it is indeed very frustrating!

I'd say putting goggles on .addrp would be a good idea, though.
The question is: would the effect the goggles have work if added to the addrp availability?
As far as I can tell it works so that you can add any item with an ID of 200000+ so I assume, that if the goggles ID was just changed to something above 200000 then we would be able to .add the real item?

Also one issue I thought up with the chat (I don't know much about the coding or settings of it all so sorry if I just sound like I have no idea what I am talking about here) is that perhaps it would actually take a lot of work? I don't know if there is a single way to just change how ALL General chat channels work, but maybe it would have to be done one channel at a time? Like the general chat for Stormwind, then Elwynn, then Duskwood, then Westfall and so on. That seems like it would be a lot of work, if that's how it would have to be done that is.
Roleplay-friendly versions of the goggles already are on the .addrp menu, but they have zero functionality. I'm not sure if it's possible to have them available on command, but it would be nice, agreed.
With the general chat, it may just be best to make a new channel for each rp's OOC. Not only would this remove the problem without needing to code, it would allow people in different rps in the same area not to have to listen to other people's OOC chatter. Just tossing that idea in!

As for the googles, aye, that would be extremely helpful. If it doesn't work that way, perhaps adding a vendor to sell the goggles by every portal would save people the issue of having to port back and forth. (As someone who ends up getting bad lag when loading, that would be appreciated!)
Here's a thought. What if the OOC portal itself had an option simply called "Give me Goggles" or something that you click it, and it gives you a pair of goggles. That might be easier, right? Since you would just have to edit a single thing being the portal, and it would affect every one in every place where a portal is. Perhaps could just even add in an option to buy from the portal in which it sells the goggles and perhaps other items such as the death trinket or other cosmetic items.

Also Delta, strangely enough last I checked the Gnomish X-Ray Goggles from .lo rp are not even close to the same model as the ones you buy to fix the no armor glitch xD Perhaps I just messed up in previewing them though.
Excellent idea, doctor Freeman!

No, but really, that's actually a good idea. We need to have some sort of option to get these goggles now, as for general chat, that's a tough challenge, yep. I don't think it is possible to remove the spam filter, but making a channel for each roleplaying areas is not too sharp either, nor making one for the whole world.
We have a chat channel and a Barrens channel for the whole world :p
I'm aware of that-ish! But I don't think it should be used for the Out of Character chat of.. like an event, for example.
I just think that -if- it were possible to remove the limit it would be a more simple fix. Making a new channel for every RP is just one of those things easily fixed... but apparently not so easy. Using global chat isn't a good idea, because not everyone wants to hear your OOC talk especially when usually in this particular subject, it's going to be based around your event. There are alternatives, yes but I think that it would be better if the limit were simply removed. But obviously, it can only be removed when they are capable of doing so.
(04-30-2013, 10:01 AM)Aadora Wrote: [ -> ]Here's a thought. What if the OOC portal itself had an option simply called "Give me Goggles" or something that you click it, and it gives you a pair of goggles.

At that point, if you're already at an OOC portal, you may as well just go to GMI. On the other hand, if it is able to be added to the .lo rp command then that would be awesome. There's been plenty of times where I've forgotten goggles, and it does get a bit annoying.
Why would you remove the goggles from your inventory to start with? They're an essential on the server..Just seems a bit odd to me. I usually get a pair then find it a nice cozy spot to remain forever in my inventory.
Well, back on retail, what we used to do was use Parenthesis for our OOC. I still agree that the General limit is highly annoying, as communication with those not around you or in your party is tricky, but if its a one on one thing, whispers are an option. I can tell you right now, when myself and a buddy were RPing with a GM nearby, and we ran into a snag, communicating effectively through the general chat was hard.

edit: blame blizzard as well. I'll bet this was a way to curb bot spamming.
(04-30-2013, 03:19 PM)Beltharean Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-30-2013, 10:01 AM)Aadora Wrote: [ -> ]Here's a thought. What if the OOC portal itself had an option simply called "Give me Goggles" or something that you click it, and it gives you a pair of goggles.

At that point, if you're already at an OOC portal, you may as well just go to GMI. On the other hand, if it is able to be added to the .lo rp command then that would be awesome. There's been plenty of times where I've forgotten goggles, and it does get a bit annoying.

As I had said, loading is a pain. I tend to lag out and even disconnect, then have to wait 15 minutes to try and get back into the game to rp, only to find people couldn't wait for me because others had to leave soon and it basically just stinks :<

And @Gyran, sometimes you forget to get the goggles in the first place. You roll a new character, go to a new place for rp, then find the goggles you need are still with the orc. It's not fun realizing you forgot. I doubt anyone would delete them (It's always my second item in my bag after my hearthstone)
Pages: 1 2