The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Reminder on Spelling and Grammar
First off, I'd like to mention again that we do try to have certain standards for spelling and grammar. We are an English speaking server in a medium where text is the primary means of communication, so some skill at the language is required, and we expect everyone to do their best in communicating their ideas.

HOWEVER, and this is the main reason I posted this...

This does not give you the right to insult or belittle someone if their skill with English is below par. We have many people here from around the world, and not everyone is a native English speaker. We do try to be understanding and patient with those who do not speak the language natively, and you should too.

The bottom line is this: you are allowed to give grammar tips to people now and then, but there is no excuse at all about being rude or insulting to people over this. None at all. It's not helpful and it's not necessary. Play nice.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
Whoa, whoa, whoa. People are being elitist on a private RP server that tries to keep realism in check? Shock!

No, seriously though. This /is/ a big problem. But, a big problem easily fixed. I know that whenever you see an "lol" or "i" you immediately think retail RP, but remember- if you flame them, they won't try to get better or help themselves. (And probably flame you back, getting you BOTH punished.)
Crunchym8: Work tomorrow at a greenhouse, followed by a D&D session. Aw fel yeaahhh I can't be more hardcore.
Crunchym8: WE'RE PLANTING THE MUMS AND THE DAYLILLIES TOMORROW AND IF WE HAVE TIME SNAPDRAGONS
Crunchym8: I AM SO MANLY.
I think given the opportunity to improve themselves, people will almost always accept the fact that their English could be better. You have to approach it with a solution though, not just criticism. People often like to recall times that they learned a harsh lesson, and wait to pounce on the next victim to give them the same treatment they received, as some kind of "Ha! I knew this and YOU didn't. I'm better than you." attitude.

I like how both sides of this issue are being addressed here, so that just because you believe you're a grammar genius and can type 80 WPM, doesn't mean you have to treat others like garbage. We all started somewhere, and I'm sure when I started playing WoW on retail, my text was punctuated with all sorts of phrases like "i wan play a rouge. rouges pwn ftw!!"

A little empathy and compassion goes a long way.
Basically, being from another country doesn't give you a disadvantage on the keyboard, does it? I mean, I can capitalize shizzle and I'm not from England or America, beat that :D

Anyway, a few grammar rules that should be followed:
-Capitalize! The whole sentence if you need to. And if you don't, just names, yourself, and the first letter of a sentence.
-"Their, they're and there", I don't think it's hard to keep those split. Their pronunciation differs slightly. "They're" stands for "they are". "Their" stands for a possessive, aka, "They have a remote, it's their remote". "There" stands for positioning, "The boat is over there."
-He, she and it-s, the shit-s. Every verb following he, she or it gains an s. I walk, he/she/it walks. However, I walked, he/she/it walked. This would indicate that the shit-s is only used in the present.
-I'm, you're, it's. Gotta love the apostrophe, no? When having a personal pronoun and a verb (to be and to have), you can abbreviate these two words to one. I am = I'm, not Im or im.

Easy as that ^^ Even I can do it :p
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
A lung disease caused by the inhalation of very fine silica dust, causing inflammation in the lungs.
I think the point that Grakor is trying to convey is that not everyone has had the same level of english learning that you or I might have. Thus it should be taken into account when you see someone who is typing rather poorly on the server. It's very necessary to help out our fellow CoTHians when it comes to this because people do not generally change their ways of typing until it is actually brought to their attention. (This was what happened to me many years ago when I wasn't so used to the shift key.)

Basically, just be nice about it. A person's inability to convey their thoughts effectively in a foreign language does not mean they are less intelligent than anyone else, a helping hand is always good, just don't make them feel unwelcome or alienated.
[Image: Signature.png]
Heh, I'm one of the 'Gah! How do you say that again in English' kind of writers, because I'm not a native English speaker and all that. But anyhow, till now, I had some very patient people Rp'ing with me, and a few not so patient peeps. You should also take into account that the person behind the character is only human, and might not have the best kind of day behind him before he entered the server. Don't get me wrong, I know for myself when I feel a bit irate or something along those lines, I don't connect, knowing I would burst pretty easily. But I think, the moment one makes an account here, they are agreeing to the terms of the server, and one them is being respectful.

Knowing when to quit is one of them.

And for those who are still in learning for the basic English grammar, know that you are still new to things, and will in some cases be accused for being a 'retail RP'er' (sorry for the slang). Just don't feel down because of this, it happens to even the best of us. I for once (not saying I'm one of the 'best'), have my moments that I draw a blank and pause for a while. This can be harmful for your RP session, especially when there are more than two people at the same time RP'ing with you. When this happens, just send them a message OOC'ly that you're stuck, and hopefully they will understand.

To those who have terrible spelling, go into window view and open a program with spelling checker. That way you'll at least have all the spelling errors covered.
I'm one of them people. :(

But thanks to Nai (Mike on forum), Graros, and various other people my grammar has vastly improved.

So I say if people are not writing, mispelling or grammar isn't correct point it out to them, and tell them how it should be, thats how I learn't.
Myself, I always roll google translate while RPing. A simple alt+tab does the job to translate that one freaking word you just can't think of. I would recommend more people to do so, because it has helped me out of some nasty situations where others know better English than me.
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
A lung disease caused by the inhalation of very fine silica dust, causing inflammation in the lungs.
Teacake Wrote:I'm one of them people. :(

But thanks to Nai (Mike on forum), Graros, and various other people my grammar has vastly improved.

So I say if people are not writing, mispelling or grammar isn't correct point it out to them, and tell them how it should be, thats how I learn't.

We love you Dune. <3
Antoine Wrote:

We love you Dune. <3

I love you all too.
Teacake Wrote:
Antoine Wrote:

We love you Dune. <3

I love you all too.

D'awwww! <3
Proud Rotten Apples Fan
Teacake Wrote:
Antoine Wrote:

We love you Dune. <3

I love you all too.

ROMANCE, DUN DUNN.

Anyway.
Like everyone on this topic have already said, it's better to tell the.. erm.. badly spelling fellow that he could improve his spelling a bit, instead of flaming him down trought the ground. Just bear with them for a while, and TADAH! Magic happens. Or not. But it does happen if you're lucky. I'm not trying to boast with my English skills, but I've improved alot since my first RP. Everything is a matter of time, friendly fellows, and zee internets.

Oh just read Sheppard's post, he said this way better than I did.
Rubykuby Wrote:Basically, being from another country doesn't give you a disadvantage on the keyboard, does it? I mean, I can capitalize shizzle and I'm not from England or America, beat that :D

Anyway, a few grammar rules that should be followed:
-Capitalize! The whole sentence if you need to. And if you don't, just names, yourself, and the first letter of a sentence.
-"Their, they're and there", I don't think it's hard to keep those split. Their pronunciation differs slightly. "They're" stands for "they are". "Their" stands for a possessive, aka, "They have a remote, it's their remote". "There" stands for positioning, "The boat is over there."
-He, she and it-s, the shit-s. Every verb following he, she or it gains an s. I walk, he/she/it walks. However, I walked, he/she/it walked. This would indicate that the shit-s is only used in the present.
-I'm, you're, it's. Gotta love the apostrophe, no? When having a personal pronoun and a verb (to be and to have), you can abbreviate these two words to one. I am = I'm, not Im or im.

Easy as that ^^ Even I can do it :p

The "They're", "There", and "Their" thing is one of my BIGGEST pet peeves. I try not to correct people, but sometimes I can't help it. Same thing with "To" and "Too." It's really not THAT hard, is it? Sorry, I'm done! :D
[Image: badge.jpg]
I don't see how that is, I've never played a mage past level 10!
[Image: badge.jpg]
SERIOUSLY?!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gentle Reminder: Skype & Chat Policies Loxmardin 0 1,684 07-11-2014, 02:19 AM
Last Post: Loxmardin
  Reminder: "Badgering" Loxmardin 5 2,780 04-25-2014, 10:27 PM
Last Post: Geoni
  PSA: A General Security Reminder Kretol 5 3,911 08-23-2013, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Kretol
  Reminder: Upcoming Downtime (5/12-5/14) Kretol 2 1,245 05-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Last Post: DrinkArizona