The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

How let the animals out?
Just out of curiosity and realism here,
When druids/Shamans shape shift into wild/spiritual animals. How will city folk react? Would you expect people running in panic of a panther or bear strutting across the city streets and possibly guards running at it with weapons?

It has been something I've noticed lately with some of the players and I didn't know exactly to how my or anyone's characters suppose to react?
Some roleplaying servers that I've played in the past had city restrictions of not allowing familiars and animal companions within the city (exceptions to some such as a dog) and importantly, shape shifters. Are there any city laws about having wild animals?
If so, my thoughts where:
Stormwind, Exodar, Iron Forge and Silvermoon City: some of the citizens would find it very uncomfortable and the guards would shoe any animals walking in, regardless it was a shape shifter.
Orcs and undead possibly would have little care for such creatures or possibly would either capture them as pets, eat them or whatever.

If rules were made in city's laws about animals, perhaps give druids role play shape change to be small and harmless animals like a kitten or a squirrel or a puppy?
Reshella Wrote:If so, my thoughts where:
Stormwind, Exodar, Iron Forge and Silvermoon City: some of the citizens would find it very uncomfortable and the guards would shoe any animals walking in, regardless it was a shape shifter.
Orcs and undead possibly would have little care for such creatures or possibly would either capture them as pets, eat them or whatever.

That is what i imagine . I can not see a commoner knowing at first glance what is a real dangerous animal and what is a shapeshifting druid/shaman .

It kinda would create a sense of panic and worry and disturb the peace where the guards highly likely would try to calm the situation by chasing out the said problem or capture the animal in question . In worst chase try to kill it .
As far as I know, druids are not able to shift into any animal they desire. There are specific animals from which they take the qualities of, master, and thus are able to shift into said animals. (Example: By learning the aspects of strength, a druid can shift into a bear.) That being said, shifting is probably a somewhat difficult thing to do in the first place, unless the druid happens to be feral, or very gifted. Either way, I'd think it would be something that would be frowned upon in the cities you mentioned.

Just my opinions. I could be wrong. It's late. xP Either way, I hope it helps.
[Image: af7tll.gif] [Image: 4j4aw7.gif] [Image: 33bfrtk.gif][Image: 2jxrg7.gif]
[Click on a character to learn more about them!]
Druids are unable to switch into anything animal, as far as I know. There's been discussion about it, and for some of the less traditional forms(Druids of the Fang), a player would have to seek the training I think was the outcome of that discussion.. And there's really nowhere for them to get training.

As for shifting in and out of towns, I'd think people wouldn't react well, and it's not even allowed within Night Elf cities and towns. It'd be tolerated, maybe, but generally frowned upon from what I've been told. A person has been thrown in the stockades for continuously shifting into his animal forms in the middle of Stormwind. You gotta think about it, these people are everyday normal people. They're not adventurers. They don't go out and fight beasts and bandits and such, they're just the average joes. If they saw someone change into in animal, or saw a large bear or cat walking about, they'd probably think it was a wild beast that managed to sneak in and panic. That's how I treat it anyway.
Frogspawned: RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!
Frogspawned: Frogspawned flips a table.
Frogspawned: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

FROG, STOP FLIPPING TABLES. YOU'RE MAKING A MESS.

Frogspawned: ┬─┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)
-Bump- because this really needs to be taken into consideration by roleplayers.

It's socially unacceptable to shift into animal form in any civilised context, and should lead to big negative reactions and consequences when done. There's a huge 'dam animal there. For real. React accordingly. Even around druids or night-elven communities - when done casually, it is still very very disrespectful to do so. Becoming an animal is a sacred and valued thing.

Also in terms of the manner of shifting - it's not [*poof* "I'z cat nao, I can haz cheezburger?"], it's a long. likely painful, perception-altering process. Try to do it over a couple of emotes at least, especially in the presence of characters who are probably unfamiliar with the process. Also, while you should have your fun with shifting, realise that your character can't pop in and out of animal form 3 times a' day - for the spar you're havin', later for stalking that guy and then again later to get your ear scratched by the preety girl. That would rather quickly make you very confused and not very functional.

Last, but not at all least -when in animal form you are not a human in a cat suit. You are a ferocious feline with the essence of your toon in it. You shouldn't precieve language and identify people like you do as a humanoid. You may percieve things as well as an animal can, or even better, but not in a human way, nor be able to comunicate out -in language-.

NB: The cinematic argument: The chick in the cinematic totally *poof-shifts*. It's just a cinematic - lore is a lot more clear on this than that sequence. There are also PCs one-shotting otehr PCs in cinematics and that's not something we do.

-P.S. Perhaps the observations here and on the other thread discussing the issue of shapeshifting should be synthesized into a Shapeshifting Guide sometime <.< >.>
Spoiler:
[Image: Boys.jpg]
I so happened to see such a thing occur last Kaldorei event, which one was simply walking about in cat form inside the holy walls of the Temple of the Moon. If my character wouldn't have stepped in, he might as well have strolled around in a bestial form till the end.

I will not speak of names, but I think many will know who I am referring to when I talk about that event. However, I do believe one could roleplay ignorance or deviance should they so abide it. As long as the player behind the character is not, and is be prepared for the warning words that that will most likely be spoken to your character IC'ly.
/nod

Oh yea, it's obviously fine to play the new-school drood lookin' to make a point, just don't get all
"But I'm a druid, there are druids around Stormwind in the park and all over Darnassus- What's the big deal?" when you're told off and/or attacked and/or jailed.
Spoiler:
[Image: Boys.jpg]
I think the problem is if we see a ghost wolf or a bear wandering through say Stormwind we know its a druid or a shammi, we can see his/her name but in RL if we saw a bear wandering round the streets there would be big panik, guards/police would be called as well as the local vet
Also another thing I want to point out of things I have seen, are characters in animal form who is still able to speak perfectly. Even if there MIGHT be exceptions for some kind magical connection for communication. Their lips don't move like ours.
Something to consider...

There's a quest, I believe in Ashenvale, that implies that Druids who stay in their animal form for too long slowly start to forget their old self, and can eventually become stuck as an animal because they forgot how to shift back and that they were ever anything else. For this reason, even in places like Darnassus and Thunder Bluff shapeshifting would be frowned on.
Have you hugged an orc today?
- I am not tech support. Please do not contact me regarding technical issues. -
The only think I disagree with that was stated in this thread was that someone was implying that it is disrespectful to tranform in Nelf or Druid areas. Nelves, Tauren, and Druids use Druidism as a steeple in their race's heritage, and therefore would be wildly accepting of druids, and what it obviously means to be one. Considering Tauren and Elves also frequently have hunters with exotic pets running around, it wouldn't be as shocking as, lets say, a mage running through the area or a shadow priest.

As for OTHER areas where druids are lacking, than most certainly, people should react accordingly.

But, if I'm in Darnassus in my cat form, and you try to shoo me away, that'd be quite silly, and my druid would let you know that.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Rensin Wrote:But, if I'm in Darnassus in my cat form, and you try to shoo me away, that'd be quite silly, and my druid would let you know that.

I do not think shooing away is what will happen in most cases, likely not much would happen but someone might react faintly negative. After all it hard to respond and react to something you can not speak to though with that said , i will guess you would get 'shoo' away if people are having a conversation and a cat form druid just sit there. That could be seen as a rude of the druid to 'listening' in . All in all i think it give a few downside to shape shift , even in the home cities of druids.
noscere Wrote:I think the problem is if we see a ghost wolf or a bear wandering through say Stormwind we know its a druid or a shammi, we can see his/her name but in RL if we saw a bear wandering round the streets there would be big panik, guards/police would be called as well as the local vet

Think that's a valid point there, I tend to think "Mwah, another druid" if I see it but.. how would my character now? If there's suddenly a bear walking through SW and my character runs into it, it seems a tad logical to either grab a weapon or run off from it. Think I got to adjust my behavior a tad when seeing shape shifted people.
Quote:Perhaps one day, at a new sight,
We will search again for that light.
Hold it close, between our arms,
Listen again, to the priestess her charms.
- Me, in a poetry named "The Priestess."
Personally I think a Druid shapeshifting in a city outside of Thunder Bluff, Darnassus, or anywhere in Moonglade, would generally be frowned upon by citizen's. Even if people knew it was a druid, the Druid becomes a more feral beast when Shape shifted and there could be hygiene issues.

Another thing, it probably takes the druid much time and effort to transform. I see no way a druid could find a reason to shape shift ICly in a city, unless he is being privately the ways of a Druid in Horde cities (excluding SM/UC), Darnassus or /perhaps/ the park in Stormwind.

Horde cities probably except feral beasts more because they are filled with shamans and they do ride wolves, and Thrall owes Cairne and perhaps let them train within the walls of his city.

Also in Cataclysm trolls take up Druidism, and they share a capital with the Orcs.

However, it would be more accepted then Warlockism.
[Image: vp1N.gif] CLICK ME, IM PIIIIIINK!

[Image: 6Jh5.gif] OMG FRIGGEN EPIC!!!
[Image: p3Pt.gif] Just floatin' around.