The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Got profiles?
So, I've been doing a few profiles here and there, for the sole reason that I enjoy doing them. It can at times be a very good factor to lower stress, but equally so may get me going and active, in a good way. Thus far, I'd say I'm doing pretty good. However, perspective is key to world domina-- Ehrm, personal development; and as such, I come to you, CoTH:

• Is there something I could do better concerning the factual part of profiles? Something I'm usually missing?
• Does my attitude, at times, appear superior, or in any other way 'bad'? Could I convey my points in a better way?
• Is there something you'd like to comment on, that I'm good at doing? Some aspect in particular?

Readyaimfire!
Can you not post on profiles that are on the bottom of the list? People might get mad if you bump theirs. Try to PM people if their profile is low down and have something you'd like to talk about.
Bounty-Hunter Wrote:Can you not post on profiles that are on the bottom of the list? People might get mad if you bump theirs. Try to PM people if their profile is low down and have something you'd like to talk about.
This has been an issue that I've been thinking alot about lately. However, when all factors are tossed together, it seems alot better to post in the biographies at the bottom as soon as possible. The main reason being that the GMs likely would detect the mistakes anyway, and hence the profile would be bumped either way - just sooner when I'd do it, which essentially is better for the issue you're referring to; being the time it takes for it to get it approved.

Another thing being that, while PMs may be good on paper, they fail to bring the mistakes to the eyes of the GMs (that may then want to see the changes through or not). And since everyone's human, there will be initial mistakes when GMs overlook profiles. (There'll be mistakes for anyone looking at profiles, for that matter.) It really helps us all improve, refine the details of the already great server, and hopefully reassure the boundaries of the biography-rules, so that they won't be overstepped nor overseen in the future of CoTH.

However, I am aware that people may or may not get annoyed with the process. It's only natural, and I'm sorry for any bad feelings I've perhaps stirred up - it was not my intention at all, as I only wish to help with the profiles in question.
Well, here's my thought, from the perspective of someone who is waiting for her first profile to be approved or rejected. The rules state (and in multiple places, ranging from threads here to a couple of articles on the wiki) that the profiles at the bottom get reviewed first. However, there are plenty of staff members from what I've seen and many of them comment on threads that were recently created -- especially if there's a glaring discrepancy in a profile that either needs to be corrected, clarified, or entirely removed.

So, from what I can tell, they're reading them. Which means that approval or rejection isn't the first time that the staff members are reading a profile.

If a profile is bumped because it has a glaring problem that would cause a staff member to otherwise reject or ask for a change, it's best that someone bump it before they get around to it. This allows the owner to effectively restart his waiting period a little sooner, thereby reducing the amount of time that he spends waiting. I'd prefer that someone point out a problem sooner than later, since I'd hate to be at the bottom of the list to find that GM So-and-So thought that being 70 was too young an age for me to play as a sin'dorei.

Now, if profiles are just bumped with attaboys, that's not so good. The wait period would be reset for no valid reason.

Darumok, if you want to review and help with profiles, that's awesome. Even with my inexperience on the server, I feel that I've helped some people who had pretty obvious discrepancies in their profiles or by posting links to where they might find more information with which to flesh out their profiles. However, it might be best to comment only on those profiles that were recently posted as opposed to the older ones unless they're something clearly wrong. It has to be something that would immediately lead to rejection; anything that is iffy should be ignored because maybe GM So-and-So, the second might be in a good mood one day and decide that something that might be a little hinky is okay.
So, from that last post, all I can see is a big angryfaice with bumping threads. Darumok does a GREAT job, seriously, and if you are asking him to stop posting on profiles with improvements [which is why they are ON the forums in the first place] then I have a major problem with that. Secondly, yes, this server has a large GM team. Yes they read profiles at the top of the list if they're interested. But they don't get paid for this. They are just normal people who have extra responsibility on the server. Most of the GMs here have a set time to look at profiles, and it takes alot of time. The list does stretch on quite far, because it takes so long to read a profile, pick out points that are wrong/improvable, and point them out. I, personally having had quite a number of profiles approved fully, have always felt grateful that somebody took the time to READ my profile pages for my characters, and reply to it. I would never be angry about that, because they are helping. I am yet to see anybody really complain about their thread being bumped because somebody pointed out a point that would have meant their profile would have been set back to the top of the list anyway. The sooner, the BETTER. Ok, rant over. Just remember that doing this takes time and effort, and don't throw it in people face when they point out improvements that usually take a minute to implement.

EDIT: Darumok, love your work, keep it up. I know no improvements to your work, really, just keep going!
If you're referring to my reply, Ben, you misread. I told him that what he was doing was awesome and even pointed out that it was beneficial if he caught errors before the staff (and explained why it's better, time-wise). I also pointed out that I am aware that the staff members are reading the profiles; it's very clear that the post that approves or denies the profile isn't the first time that they're reading it.

I think that you may be angry when no one else is. You have ranted (your words!) when I attempted to post insightful comments.

This is under the assumption that the following quote refers to me:
Quote:So, from that last post, all I can see is a big angryfaice with bumping threads.
Well, indeed bumping profiles up is something that can be quite annoying, especially when said profile had only minor issues and was reset pointlessly therefore its queue waiting time.

Now for the most englightening of your comments, of course there are profiles that would get denied on sight, others that would not pass even if they waited one year in the list, and that's the kind of profiles you really should (or do) post into and try to help besten. And I think you do a fair job at that.

Just don't bump topics that are already quite advanced for minor issues. They certainly don't require a GM's oversight so you can go ahead and PM the owner...and I don't mean so harshly.