The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Swimming With A Prosthetic Metal Limb? (Yes/No)
So, I was just curious to ask this question. I was shouted at by a person on the server about how one cannot swim with a metal leg. It frustrated me greatly, calling my roleplay unrealistic because of it.

Quote:His right leg, from the kneecap down looks to be made out of a combination of light alloid metals, obviously a prosthetic limb. It is spray painted red and appears to be the product of cross engineering. The parts appear Gnomish, but the model hints to a Goblin's style.

Now, this leg is nothing special... It doesn't make him the Million Dollar Man. It was just made to allow him to continue on with his reckless lifestyle. On means of how Remi acquired it, he was brought to Gadgetzan by Oddiroto after his leg was lopped off, and operated on by Goblins and the Artisan skilled Troll. It took a few weeks ICly to create it and attach it to his leg. (They ordered some parts from Gnomish Shops) And during a roleplay with a Gnome I could not remember the name of, Remi's leg was layered with some type of flexible water sealant to keep water from getting into the prosthetic limb.

Now, I have explained how he could function with it. My question to the community is, would Remi be able to swim with a 'light alloid metal-made limb'?

I thought the Navy Seals jumped into waters with heavier gear on them then his prosthetic limb, and could swim for at least a quarter of a mile. I also took into account the limb would have small air pockets, allowing it to be buoyant.

Considering all this, I bring my question back CoTH. Do you think, realistically a man could swim with one?
Ch'yea. Although Navy Seals are elite. I'm pretty sure that they die twice in their training.
It's fully reasonable, I mean it would have to be only a little more in weight than the previous leg due to the body's need to balance, and as such isn't a lead anchor.

I don't see why you couldn't swim.
[Image: wMRLoCF.gif]
I did what I normally do when I have a question: hit Google and do some research! I found a woman who answered this question on a website. She states:

Quote:I'm an above knee amputee and I love to swim.

I cannot wear my day to day prosthetic in the water. My microprocessor knee would be damaged and considering it costs the same as a sports car I would probably be shot.

I have a water proof leg which I use for water activities like, wading in the water at a beach, canoeing, boating, or at the water park

At the pool I use it to get in the showers and walk on the pool deck. I don't use it for swimming in a pool because it created Drag and believe it or not a prosthetic leg often floats. In the Paralympics amputee swimmers are not allowed to use prosthetic limbs while swimming.

I do use it for swimming in the ocean or pond. because I need to be able to walk out or walk back in.

hope that solves the crazy question for you.

Edit: Just thought of something else. Is the prosthetic grafted on? If not, why not just remove it to swim in roleplay? It's a pretty reasonable thing.
It's bolted on and attached to his nerve endings, as what was explained to me.

And remember, it isn't a regular prosthetic limb. It's kinda, steam punkish I'd say.
I'd have to say that it's possible, then, but extremely awkward. It might be one of those things that you'd have to really practice to work.

Given the technology currently on Azeroth and the propensity of it to fail (which might be a fun concept to explore), it's not going to be perfect. It probably isn't even near the exact proportions of a normal blood elf leg. It may not be too heavy, even being a light alloy, but it's definitely not going to be the same as a regular leg. As a result, it would be difficult to swim with it. I assume it doesn't move exactly like a normal leg and that (as noted in the quote) it's going to create a bit of drag that wouldn't be like Remi's original leg. In fact, using the leg might actually be detrimental to swimming.

I'm trying to imagine what it would be like. You'd probably be restricted in what kind of strokes you'd use and probably rely heavily on upper body strength to pull yourself through the water rather than using your legs to kick. Of course, that might be something Remi would learn over time.

So, I'd say yes to swimming with it, but no to treating it like a normal leg. There'd be a noticeable difference. Also, swimming with it might take practice and experience; Remi might have to, over time, gain greater understanding of how the leg functions beyond just walking, running, and jumping.
Remember, people can swim in full body armor with the right training. A prostetic limb isn't even nearly that heavy, and nore does it throw off balance. It is very possible.
☃ This is my snowman. He's there to remind me how much I hate the snow.
It's possible.

Spoiler:
[Image: nemo.jpg]

*Cough*
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

I say it's possible to swim with a mechanical limb. I mean, Drakus had TWO metal arms which he swam with, how? Simple, the way he (and others who helped) designed them was to enhance his strenght (Right arm, the left one was weak) and it was light. It was not a 5ton arm, it was durable and light. So yeah, if you think you've made your limbs to be water-proof and swim-worthy, then I don't see what's stopping you.

EDIT: I just realised this is me 1001rst/th post. Cool.
[Image: crashbandicootdrak.png]
[Image: IconSmall_Undead_Male.gif]Chad - 'Crazy' Forsaken
[Image: IconSmall_Bolvar.gif]Drakus Ashfollow - Human Tinker

Spoiler:
[Image: tumblr_m4r3lmVYKd1qbxrpzo1_r1_250.gif] [Image: tumblr_m4r3lmVYKd1qbxrpzo2_r1_250.gif]
Drak Wrote:Simple, the way he (and others who helped) designed them was to enhance his strenght (Right arm, the left one was weak) and it was light. It was a 5ton arm, it was durable and light.

... Whaaat. O.O
Don't worry about it sounding OP, it's not as bad as his current left one (which was given by someone unexpectedly and I'm trying to get rid of it! O_O).

Spoiler:
[Image: tumblr_m4r3lmVYKd1qbxrpzo1_r1_250.gif] [Image: tumblr_m4r3lmVYKd1qbxrpzo2_r1_250.gif]
Five tonne arm? The thing would be too heavy to even lift on to attach in the first place.
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
And even if it gets attached, it will probably fall on the 3th second with a massive piece of your torso! O.o
oops... forgot to add the 'not' in 'is not' ^^;

Spoiler: