The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Encumbrance Effects And You!
I've seen this happen time, and time again in diffrent scenarios a elf in full plate armor and a giant sword swimming through water like a feather, or a Human with tons of gear that can walk forever. I may be nitpicking, but I'm just trying to help realism. I'll discuss how equipment encumbers you, and the effects they take.

-Armor-

- Full Plate
Full plate is very hefty and hard to move in. You'll be out of breath alot if you aren't in shape, or scrawny. As you can imagine it isn't very easy to move in no jumping whirlwind attacks for you, sir. The best you could probally do would be basic moves especially if your armor isn't well made. If your wearing a helmet along with the rest of your armor your sight will be very poor probally only being able to see something infront of you, and hard to turn. Swimming will be tough in Full Plate if you can imagine that, you'll most likely sink like a rock without a chance of survival unless you bail from the armor. However theres some pros! (What?!) Your completly covered in metal! I'm pretty sure you all knew thats what Full Plate was for though. I know this isn't a problem here, but if your RPing it anwhere else, or here somehow your spellcasting will be dramatically decreased in Full Plate.

- Half Plate
Some may be confused on what Half Plate is ( I was when I first heard it) essntially it's not wearing all your armor pieces, maybe just the breastplate correct me if I'm wrong. Most cons of Full Plate are removed in this scenario unless your wearing a helmet then some vision problems may be there still. Encumbrance, and Movement may still be a problem. Although your defense will be lower around legs, and arms ect.

- Chain Mail/Splint Mail
Used by Agilty warriors, Bowmen, and any other 'Light' type fighter. It's a lighter alternative to Plate armors, and is a world diffrent for moving around quickly. Still however lighter than Plate doesn't make it weightless, treking all day long in these types of armor will still get to you, and swimming we'll be tough.

- Leather
The lightest of the armors. all the bad effects of metal armors are void here unless you account for some movement troubles at times you are covered in full leather!Leather is very easy to get through however as a attacker.

- Cloth
Cloth the weakest of the armors even though I don't consider it much of a armor, but it is used by Assassin type characters who want to move silently, or mages that need more room to move for casting spells.

- Weapons
Big weapons like Mauls, or any type of two-hander is tough to swing, and is prone to miss since when it hits it will do some serious damage. Keeping it on your back all day will seriously get to you, and if your a scrawny feller' forget about even swinging it, and doing serious damage.
One handed weapons like swords don't effect you as much, but a day full of slashing may leave your arm sore.
Daggers aren't that prone to causing negative effects to the user, but are weaker.
Bows are simple, but like one handed weapons pulling on the string will get you arm sore after a while.
Guns aren't that troublesome.
Crossbows are hard to load at times if your weak, and will take some muscle to load a bolt in.

Now how did you just pull all of that gear from your backpack yet you've been hopping around like a acrobat?! Keep it realistic. You can't start pulling weapons out of your backpack like a magic show. Reason with yourself if your silly little character can actaully carry all of that.
During your travels RP fatigue. When it all comes down to it it's up to you how you RP your fatiuge from encumbrance. Bigger races like Tauren and Orcs may be effected less than most, but still will feel the effects.

Please give feedback on what you think! IF you disagree with me please say so, and if you have things to add tell me!
I would like to clear up a myth on armor. In my guide of armor, I make it clear. On scale to humans plate armor is 40 pounds on average across the whole body. Any heavier than 60 pounds is considered parading armor, and not used for combat. Also, in the armor it is the padding that causes you to sink like a rock, and not the armor its self. There have been several martial arts schools in Japan that's taught people to swim in armor, and in Europe the practice actually originated from the Romans and lived on until the 14th century. If anyone is trained in wearing their armor, then that extra weight doesn't bother them much. In fact, US Marines today wear roughly weight than some knights of the Middle Ages, and are not encumbered much.

Good guide though.
☃ This is my snowman. He's there to remind me how much I hate the snow.
I'll just note that also on guns, they have a big kick to them in WoW. I believe they have an electrical charge in them that explodes or something like that, and it fires the bullet. Not like gunpowder which has a lot less of a kick.

Rifles in WoW are enough to make you fall your ass, and could do quite a bit of damage to your shoulder provided you're not padded. Pistols could probably bruise your wrist easily if not used correctly as well, depending on what type. Guns should really only be used for the heavier people.

EDIT: Forgot to say, moving for usefulness.
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
Hawk Wrote:I'll just note that also on guns, they have a big kick to them in WoW. I believe they have an electrical charge in them that explodes or something like that, and it fires the bullet. Not like gunpowder which has a lot less of a kick.
I'm still confused about this, to be honest. I have yet to find anything that would make a firearm in WoW have a heavier kick, and the fact that the WoW RPG states that guns in WoW use gunpowder leaves me in even more confusion. I won't clutter up this thread, though, as the ground has already been covered by myself and Piroska: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=17676&start=15

The guide itself is excellent, though, I have to admit. It's great to have a reference to help determine agility in combat.
[Image: 2mhzmdy.gif]
I also have a problem with the way people wield two handers, especially their swords. Everyone uses them like it's a butter knife, where they can just... use it to slice newbs in half. Usually, a bastard sword is used to cause -blunt- damage and a light ammount of slashing. Otherwise, the person would use a larger style axe.

The reason they'd use a sword as opposed to a mace or hammer would be the way the armor would dent inward compared to those styles of weapons... rather than it having a large piece going in, it'd have several smaller ones, or broad slashes stabbing inward.

Now, if you were going against a mostly un-armored foe, then yes, you'd try to cleave them in half.
About one handed weapons, especially swords. People sit down, sleep, crawl, and preform all other sorts of contortions, with full length sword, hanging from their hips.

Sheaths get in the way. If you try to sit down in a low chair, it could even go as far as to rip your belt if you sit hard enough. If you try to lay down or crawl with it, it sticks up or down in such a way that you couldn't even touch the bed with your butt, or get into whatever hole you're crawling into.

This, excluding such reasons as having to conceal your weapons, is why they invented daggers. They don't get in the way, but you can still use them as a respectable weapon. IN fact, during the Dark Ages, anybody who had half a dime owned a set of 'dinner knives.' They used these knives for self defense, if needed, while they sat at another persons' table.
It is known that there is an infinite number of worlds, but that not every one is inhabited. Therefore, there must be a finite number of inhabited worlds. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near to nothing as makes no odds, so if every planet in the Universe has a population of zero then the entire population of the Universe must also be zero, and any people you may actually meet from time to time are merely the products of a deranged imagination. ~Douglas Adams, The Original Hitchhiker Radio Script

I think we all know what to do with this...

[Image: nqgU.gif]
Guns use blackpowder.
(02-24-2012, 10:15 AM)Piroska Wrote: Conspiracy. That's all it is; Kret's afraid that your pure, digital awesomeness would crash the server if it were allowed.
(06-14-2013, 05:42 PM)McKnighter Wrote: Bovel, Lord of Beards

Character About Involvement
Causticity Blackbreath Goblin Alchemist -
Telaah Draenei Anchorite Writings of an Anchorite

[Image: kiXJxhI.gif]
arnevar Wrote:About one handed weapons, especially swords. People sit down, sleep, crawl, and preform all other sorts of contortions, with full length sword, hanging from their hips.

Sheaths get in the way. If you try to sit down in a low chair, it could even go as far as to rip your belt if you sit hard enough. If you try to lay down or crawl with it, it sticks up or down in such a way that you couldn't even touch the bed with your butt, or get into whatever hole you're crawling into.

This, excluding such reasons as having to conceal your weapons, is why they invented daggers. They don't get in the way, but you can still use them as a respectable weapon. IN fact, during the Dark Ages, anybody who had half a dime owned a set of 'dinner knives.' They used these knives for self defense, if needed, while they sat at another persons' table.

I do believe it would be a bit tedious though to have to unequip your weapon and emote that you're taking off your sword and sheath each time you do a sit, or a /lie, or a /kneel and so on.

Yeah, I know immersion is important but sometimes I'd prefer to focus on the rp itself and not have to mess around with the interface all the time to keep track of items.
Huh.

This is very useful. Thank you.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
NeighborOfTheBeast Wrote:- Full Plate
Full plate is very hefty and hard to move in. You'll be out of breath alot if you aren't in shape, or scrawny. As you can imagine it isn't very easy to move in no jumping whirlwind attacks for you, sir. The best you could probally do would be basic moves especially if your armor isn't well made. If your wearing a helmet along with the rest of your armor your sight will be very poor probally only being able to see something infront of you, and hard to turn. Swimming will be tough in Full Plate if you can imagine that, you'll most likely sink like a rock without a chance of survival unless you bail from the armor. However theres some pros! (What?!) Your completly covered in metal! I'm pretty sure you all knew thats what Full Plate was for though. I know this isn't a problem here, but if your RPing it anwhere else, or here somehow your spellcasting will be dramatically decreased in Full Plate.

This makes sense to a point, there is enchanted armor, (This goes for all kinds) that can take away some disadvantages, along with some advantages. You can encante your armor to be as light as leather, and as strong as full plate, but if you were to get hit, (By something as strong as an orc, or what ever else floats your boat) could sent you flying instead of taking the blow like full plate would.
I attempt to differ my combat tactics if I'm wearing a full set of plate or just a few leather bits. I'll explain Krian's (Blood Knight) fighting between two different scenes.

1. He was in full plate, -and- wielding a two-handed sword. His attacks were often massive swings at his opponent, leaving him open for a counter attack often. The only way he could defend himself is by using a gauntlet/bracer to block an oncoming attack, or by ducking.

2. Krian was in a leather-mail gear, a buckler and a one-handed sword. He was much more able to duck, strike quickly, and use the shield as a weapon as well. He wouldn't try to take on a full blow, unless it was aganist a sword or any other slashing attack.

And... enchanted armor would be -hard- to get... You would need an Archmage to do that sort of spell, or -tons- of gold to buy a set. Not your everyday guy will have it, rather, the elite of the elite.
McKnighter Wrote:IAnd... enchanted armor would be -hard- to get... You would need an Archmage to do that sort of spell, or -tons- of gold to buy a set. Not your everyday guy will have it, rather, the elite of the elite.

Aye, I agree with that, and I'm writing the special profile behind Krest's armor currently.
McKnighter Wrote:I attempt to differ my combat tactics if I'm wearing a full set of plate or just a few leather bits. I'll explain Krian's (Blood Knight) fighting between two different scenes.

1. He was in full plate, -and- wielding a two-handed sword. His attacks were often massive swings at his opponent, leaving him open for a counter attack often. The only way he could defend himself is by using a gauntlet/bracer to block an oncoming attack, or by ducking.

2. Krian was in a leather-mail gear, a buckler and a one-handed sword. He was much more able to duck, strike quickly, and use the shield as a weapon as well. He wouldn't try to take on a full blow, unless it was aganist a sword or any other slashing attack.

And... enchanted armor would be -hard- to get... You would need an Archmage to do that sort of spell, or -tons- of gold to buy a set. Not your everyday guy will have it, rather, the elite of the elite.
Actually, not necessarily! While some archmagi do have this ability, as do enchanters! Such as my Dwarf, Falstan!! If anyone ever -does- require enchanted armor, just speak to him about it ICly.
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
Hmm, in that case, couldn't a paladin enchant his own armor?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Effects of potions. Nostra 10 2,517 12-16-2008, 09:26 PM
Last Post: VengefulVeteren