The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Using spells and transformations ICly, 'Trends' On CoTH.
Alright guys, here's a bit of an eye opener, I hope for GMs and players alike. I was silently observing you lot bicker in chat, again. And someone asked for my help on the matter.

Quite frankly, I agree with this players statements. Too frequently do I see silly arguments in chat about "OH MY GOSH, CAN I DO THIS?". Basically, the rule of thumb is, if the spell is available to your class, yes you can, within the logic of limitations. Moonkin can be used ICly, despite the fact there isn't a "Lore" backing. The only backing we need is that there is a spell accompanied by it.

In the past there have been a select few GMs saying "you can't do this", or "you can't do that." I've been one of those GMs, yes, but it's usually when there isn't -anything- to back it up, even an ingame mechanic. Probably my pet peeve with CoTH right now, is too frequently do people debate what's acceptable, and what's not. I -hate- hearing 'well that's an OOC mechanic' when it comes to spells and abilities.

Part of good roleplay is to know how to play your characters abilities in a believable manner. Sure, a Demonoligist Warlock can turn into a demon. I've done it myself. But I follow a logical way of doing this. It saps my characters will, makes him loose control of his actions, lasts for only so long, and then debilitates him for a long while afterwards.

Rensin could hold two giant swords at once. But seldom did, because it was slower, and more taxing on his body.

I have a druid that turns into a Moonkin. He actually does this because he enjoys the feel of feathers.

Guys, you preach to us over and over how you want us to give you guys ways to express your characters more. To let them be "heros". Super heros.

Use your damn class abilities, don't claim that you shoot magical lazers out of your ass.

I'm getting tired of logging on daily, and seeing you guys police eachother. Honestly... quit being so bitchy and snippy about our rules. It's not -that- complicated.

Also, to the GMs who have been telling people this. Stop. Obviously the game's mechanics reflect blizzards view on how WoW works, or else they wouldn't include them. We aren't pen and paper here.
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

/approve
Azheron's back in business. For reals.
>.>... I dread the day that all Warlocks summon Infernals to crush each other willy nilly.
"It's always do Gnomes have a vibration setting... what about Goblins, huh? huh?!"
Rensin's right. You can use your abilities. But keep in mind what the abilities do, and what it takes to cast them. In example, starfire is an incredibly high-tier Druid spell IC. Not to be used willy-nilly. Things being used like that will cause an issue.

Despite Rensin's words, there is a limit. You can have a few really powerful characters, sure. I have a few. However! If you're going to start creating uber-powerful characters en masse, then there might be a problem. Keep in mind a little term known as realism. Yes, it exists. Even in WoW.
Crunchym8: Work tomorrow at a greenhouse, followed by a D&D session. Aw fel yeaahhh I can't be more hardcore.
Crunchym8: WE'RE PLANTING THE MUMS AND THE DAYLILLIES TOMORROW AND IF WE HAVE TIME SNAPDRAGONS
Crunchym8: I AM SO MANLY.
[font=Calibri][color=#0040FF]Loool Feathers!
Loooooool Laser from ass!

Yeah and I agree aswell.
Maybe Starfall could be a spell that's only used in desperation, like when you're close to death (not dueling, but death) and say 'Elune give me strength'
And then you start channeling magic to cast Starfall.
Asetrix
Kelane
Ketrix

Spoiler:
"Life goes on"
"If life gives you lemons, make Lemonade"
"Jealousy's a b***h"
"Desperation breeds Desire"

Just a handful of my favourite quotations
Quote:if the spell is available to your class, yes you can, within the logic of limitations

This. As long as the spell exists and you actually have a reasonable excuse to using it, then it's fine. The thing that bugs me is when players use the very complicated spells as if they're like the basic ones.

If you can turn into a Moonkin, it's safe to say your druid has gone onto the path of using damaging nature spells. So naturally, you're not going to be as strong in a cat/bear form as a Feral Druid, or heal as well as a healer (duh), and it's vice versa - with all classes.
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
Manufreak101 Wrote:[font=Calibri][color=#0040FF]Loool Feathers!

Yeah and I agree aswell.
Maybe Starfall could be a spell that's only used in desperation, like when you're close to death (not dueling, but death) and say 'Elune give me strength'

That's kind of animeish. I mean, it requires concentration and power. It would make no sense doing it in a weak state.
Azheron's back in business. For reals.
There just needs to be logic with what you do.

If you have a novice mage...You can't be blinking and teleporting all over the place.

/shrug.
[Image: anigif_mobile_9893b2566588ab845c7985f71769a9f2-7.gif]
Well said.
[Image: wMRLoCF.gif]
Cowssaymoo Wrote:>.>... I dread the day that all Warlocks summon Infernals to crush each other willy nilly.

I...

I've done this only twice. And even then I was extremely weak afterward.
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
Azheron Wrote:
Manufreak101 Wrote:[font=Calibri][color=#0040FF]Loool Feathers!

Yeah and I agree aswell.

That's kind of animeish. I mean, it requires concentration and power. It would make no sense doing it in a weak state.

yh, and I say 'Elune give me strength'.
You're not gonna' duel someone and automatically since you've got full power use starfall!
:P
Use it in a time of need and desperation :P
Besides as long as you think it's reasonable use it, I hate when people criticize others for using certain spells and just ruin the RP altogether!
So, c'mon now, lets be reasonable and criticize only when needed yh :D
Asetrix
Kelane
Ketrix

Spoiler:
"Life goes on"
"If life gives you lemons, make Lemonade"
"Jealousy's a b***h"
"Desperation breeds Desire"

Just a handful of my favourite quotations
I've always tried to use my characters' abilities in a figurative sense, rather than a literal one. Sense undead is simply the hair standing up on my paladin's arm, rather than an innate holy spidey-sense. When my rogue stealths, she's not -really- going invisible, she's just making herself scarce. And if she were to sap an enemy, she'd just be sneaking up behind it, hitting it with a rock/brick/butt of her dagger, and hoping it didn't get back up before she hightailed it out of there.

With my mage, I tended to allow myself use of only the simple spells - unless she was in an environment that'd accommodate more difficult spells (like finding it easier to conjure a firestorm in molten core), and I'd try to use the same type of weights and balance system I'd use with my warlock. The bigger and flashier, the more physically/mentally taxing.

I think it's entirely possible to throw a bit of realisim into any of the in-game abilities, with just a little thought about how it'd happen, and what it might cost.
... WOAH. I know I posted an absence thread and all but really? I argued this same point and even mentioned Blizzard having their own explanation for things that CotH deems unrealistic such as Shadow-step and all of that and I got bashed and insulted and nagged. Suddenly an name says it and get's all the support? Peeved. Just saying.

/Return to absence.
It puts the grammar in the RP or else it gets the hose again...
Pfft. That's because I probably didn't see the topic, Jetniss. But yes, you are right. And sadly, people only tend to listen when you do have that GM tag, trust me, I know. I lurk around on my "Player account" enough times to see it.

Edit: I'd also like to know who's been saying this, aside from players who've never bothered to ask, and some GMs who aren't even around anymore?

Edit2: Actually, I looked up the thread. That was a special case where you summoned an infernal in the Gurubashi arena. The only reason anything bad happened there was because ICly, that's a dangerous action.

Possible, but there were IC consequences to it. Sorry, but that's how it worked out. Nothing to really get ticked over. :\
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

While we're on the subject, I've always wondered if a mage trained in illusionary magic could use a kind of polymorph spell on themselves, but retain thought? Like a mage casts sheep on himself, and hides in a farm to not get killed by an assassin, as one example. Much easier than completely turning yourself invisible for extended periods of time I'd think.
"Every gun..."

[Image: Jonah-Hex-Counting-Corpses-Flaming-Leap.jpg]

"...Makes its own tune."

~ The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly ~

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Twilight Spells. Kage 4 1,055 06-26-2012, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Beltharean
  Death Knight mounts ICly! Erynn 17 3,259 11-23-2011, 09:47 AM
Last Post: Beltharean
  A rant on rape, ICly. Lynoa06 40 7,040 11-19-2010, 08:47 AM
Last Post: Nexi
  Wiki Trends Regarding Profile Age and Gender Piroska 29 3,796 03-16-2010, 05:22 AM
Last Post: Errata
  What we need ICly to be a Death Knight? jak13 21 3,184 03-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Last Post: KarstAvenger