The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

'Claims' of Locations...
So. A recent event prompted me to post this.

First, I will remind folks of our policy regarding 'claims of land' and whatnot: We do not officially support or recognize them. There's apparently been some rumors as well as miscommunication in regards to some alleged policy stating you can claim a spot after an IC post - this has never been the case. There may have been IC clearings of an area due to battles or purging of hostiles from some area, but control of an area will not be given. This is to prevent the world from being at risk of people randomly wanting some area, making a post, getting the area, and then abandoning it after a week or so, if not less. Not only that, but when people get their own areas, it is EXTREMELY RARE for them to venture forth very far from them. It turns into a black hole for their group, and anyone joining said group usually just follows suit.

Now, that said, in the past I have contemplated the idea of potentially offering larger, active groups the choice to have an area customized for them. Yes, this goes against the above, but if I feel a group is providing RP not only for their own internal storylines but opening it up for others as well, I may potentially approach them. Do not ask about this, however. It's just an idea, and not something I'll consider further until after the restart.

Regarding the recent event, I realized people need to be reminded of how to deal with these types of locations. If you're using a neutral place for a faction-specific purpose, expect there to be issues, especially if the location has RP potential for other purposes. If you're using a faction-specific locale but desire neutral RP, just think vice-versa (just a bit more serious, considering there's probably faction-specific guards).
Now, that said... people wanting to use a specific location as part of their storyline when it's currently in use by another group should be considerate. Do not be disrespectful and simply barge in, telling folks there to either deal with it or log/leave. Come to an agreement, as it will make everyone happier. On the same line of thinking, bear in mind that I absolutely detest people that take advantage of the rule of 'no claims to land' and insist on barging in for doing RP on a whim in a specific locale just because they noticed a large group already present, or because they just discovered that location. If the group already there would be disrupted by your own RP, the latter part can wait. Again, the prime directive is to help everyone get along and coexist peacefully OOCly.

In closing, you are taking a risk by 'claiming' any spot of land for a specific group, as it may be used in the storylines of others, or it may be used by a GM for an event down the line. A good example of what to do is follow the Bloodsworn Honorguard's example - they may have a base of operations, so to speak, but they utilize existing towns and adjust according to what the town is like. They do not claim, only act as 'visitors.' It would probably be ideal if Brutal would elaborate on this.

Edit: Please refer to Rensin's recent post on the same issue as well.
Didn't Rensin make a post like this a bit earlier? :o
Azheron's back in business. For reals.
Very true! I shall refer to Rensin's post as well, since you were a nub and didn't link it yourself!
Rensin's post.

There I did it. nub

EDIT: But hey, on a serious note, I'm going to assume this is the same for all world capsized and otherwise abandoned boats without the habitation of hostile, friendly, or neutral NPC's?
Then I feel I should ask, is our use of the First Aid floor in Lower City for the draenic pilgrimage, ok?
(02-24-2012, 10:15 AM)Piroska Wrote: Conspiracy. That's all it is; Kret's afraid that your pure, digital awesomeness would crash the server if it were allowed.
(06-14-2013, 05:42 PM)McKnighter Wrote: Bovel, Lord of Beards

Character About Involvement
Causticity Blackbreath Goblin Alchemist -
Telaah Draenei Anchorite Writings of an Anchorite

[Image: kiXJxhI.gif]
Bovel Wrote:Then I feel I should ask, is our use of the First Aid floor in Lower City for the draenic pilgrimage, ok?
Did you claim that location as yours alone? Simply utilizing a location (not claiming it as your place) that would make sense for your RP is fine.
Jason Wrote:EDIT: But hey, on a serious note, I'm going to assume this is the same for all world capsized and otherwise abandoned boats without the habitation of hostile, friendly, or neutral NPC's?
I'm afraid I'm not completely clear. Are you asking if the 'claim' bit is the same for abandoned ships out in the world? If so, then yes. Although having no NPCs and having such a location out in the wilds will ensure there's no faction bearings on the RP, it doesn't mean you can go around boasting that such and such as your place and yours alone. We simply don't want to have to deal with a lack of consistency when there may be others using it at other times, or in case we end up using a location for an event.
Yar, reiterized;

Would the said ship be open to static use? Let's say, Johnny the Warlock wants to bring his buddies in to plot Fel things for a few days. But Frederic the Paladin gets his ruffians together and decides he would like the boat, and wants to force them out. Disregarding OOC communication, completely alright?
Jason Wrote:Yar, reiterized;

Would the said ship be open to static use? Let's say, Johnny the Warlock wants to bring his buddies in to plot Fel things for a few days. But Frederic the Paladin gets his ruffians together and decides he would like the boat, and wants to force them out. Disregarding OOC communication, completely alright?
That sounds fine to me!
Kretol Wrote:Did you claim that location as yours alone? Simply utilizing a location (not claiming it as your place) that would make sense for your RP is fine.

Not ours alone. We RPed that the NPC Sha'nir of the Aldor offered us to stay in the ruined building using the free beds. But haven't said it is ours alone, still a place to get bandaged too. (I'd actually thought of getting someone to come and RP injured horde to spice things up a bit.)
(02-24-2012, 10:15 AM)Piroska Wrote: Conspiracy. That's all it is; Kret's afraid that your pure, digital awesomeness would crash the server if it were allowed.
(06-14-2013, 05:42 PM)McKnighter Wrote: Bovel, Lord of Beards

Character About Involvement
Causticity Blackbreath Goblin Alchemist -
Telaah Draenei Anchorite Writings of an Anchorite

[Image: kiXJxhI.gif]
I'm not sure if any of us meant to barge in on rp in this instance. I know personally that I had no idea there was such a place as Fray Island but sounded interesting because I like warrior characters. I knew the Stormshade was there but I didn't know that they were going to break lore on the area and say that this wasn't the place for warriors to hone their skills.

I hope to see more rp there when I can find it. It was actually pretty fun to rp there, and the fact that there was a lot of rp going on there, I think, inevitably attracted other players. I think it's only natural for someone to flock to where the rp is. None of us alliance guys had the intention of crashing the party.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RP Locations, Complaints & Suggestions Yau 18 3,275 04-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Yau
  List of underused RP locations. Maelstrom 16 3,411 12-29-2009, 10:14 AM
Last Post: JayBeeKay
  Out of the ordinary locations in WoW Daemoss 0 706 01-02-2008, 09:19 PM
Last Post: Daemoss