The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Usage of the word COUGH COUGH NAUGHTY WORD
Curious...does anyone else feel that the usage of the word "f**k" to be out of place in character? I mean... some characters use it religiously... While other use it sporadically... To me, it just seems out of place in the setting and something that didn't really come to play even in the real world until modern times. Sure, there have been words with the same vulgar meaning -outside- of the English language, but really... Why have it here? o.O; All of that aside...uttering a word like that oocly in one of the chat channels could get your account suspended (I think)... I dunno... I mean..I curse like a sailor in real life..but I can't help but raise a brow when I see it IG, IC.
-Michael

[Image: badge.jpg]
WTF is up with this? ^
Really doesn't bother me except in Dungeons and Dragons because when I go to play it there's a chance that someone around us might be under 18.

Aside from that I think it depends on the character. Some characters will just talk like sailors, yes?

Of course we could always try and invent our own swear words.
IC? That's fine.

/opinion
The way I see it is the characters are actually speaking a language different than our own.
Every language will have its own special word with the same connotation as 'f**k'.

The same with various other curse words.
Now, not all will fit, but most will.

Though it is easier, nothing beats some good ole special WoW curses.

My favorite are 'fel' and 'blight'.

"What the fel?"

"You little blight."
"Everybody sees what you appear to be, few feel what you are..."
-Niccolò Machiavelli
I feel that it's extremely out of place IC'ly. It seems like a very childish way out of situations that could potentially include a lot of interesting insults. Why not call someone a "miserable little bootlicker" or even say "Somewhere out there, a tiny hamlet is missing their village idiot".

Not only does "f**k" feel out of place in a fantasy scenario where the word does not have the same emythology or carry the same weight as it does in our real world, but it's also plain uncreative. It would seem realistic if you would get the same reaction from a person in the Warcraft universe as you might from a person in real life if you went up to him and said "FORNICATE WITH YOURSELF".

If the F-word is really the best someone can come up with as far as an insult goes, they should probably not utter it so loud or often as they otherwise do. In fact, I feel they should just keep quiet, especially when it -seems- as if they use the word to transcend the barrier between the RP and how they feel towards the other player and his character in reality (And I know a lot of people will know what I'm talking about here). In my opinion, it takes away from the seriousness/lightheartedness of the RP to be called a "fuckhead" or "fucker" or similar strong words where words like "bastard", or even "whoreson" might be better fitting and a lot less insulting to the person behind the character.

But that's just how I feel about it.
Never comes off as personal to me...Though I wouldn't be surprised if it's at one point in time been directed at me personally...It just kinda ruins my immersion to see people using the word..I literally pause every time I read it and I feel my brow raise and I sit there and read it like..twenty times going "What the hell.." It just doesn't make any sense to me and causes my rp to stutter like a failing transmission... Like Waffen said, there are so much more creative ways of saying things instead of using "f**k" in each verb, adverb, adjective, command, interjection, and noun.
-Michael

WTF is up with this? ^
Personally, I believe that the word used ICly is fine, TO A LIMIT.

If I see someone go "Awww f**k! I just lost my favourite watch!" I will think nothing of it.

However, if I see someone shout out "That fucking f**k fucked up my fucking [generic object], and now I can't fucking use it, for f**k sake! This is fucking ridiculous!" then I would probably react OOCly. Because that's what it is: ridiculous. Such an amount of cursing is unnecessary, and as someone who's played characters who might often swear, I've never used such words to a level like this.

Although, as HownDoog said, words such as "Fel" and "Blight" could be used as replacement words for cursing.

Perhaps you could use words in the race's native tongue as an insult! Most Alliance races would probably use Common to insult someone, however, Night Elves and Draenei might be an exception.

Darnassian:
Bantallas - Primitive, unevolved.

Draenic:
Eredar - Disgusting, fowl.
Sayaad - Succubus or Incubus. Could possibly mean "whore" or "slut", as we know the words.
Man'ari - Something horribly wrong, against nature. Often used to describe Demonic Eredar and Fel Orcs.

As for the Horde, most races have their own languages to insult others in.

Orcish:
Dae'mon - Orcish translation of Man'ari.
Gor - Based on rough translation, could perhaps mean "Fel", or even "Fel Orc". Regardless, an Orc would find this insulting at the least. Examples of the prefix/suffix "Gor" being used include: Gor'gaz, Gor-dook and Zeth'Gor, all of which are Fel-Orc encampments. Also, I just realized, this is the name of my Tauren. Ohshi-

Taur-ahe:
Footnote: Taur-ahe seems to be a relatively light-spirited language, so cursing is somewhat rare I believe.
Aki - Bad. (Sorry Aki, your Tauren is apparently bad!)

Zandali:
Fon - A suffix added to the end of a name or any proper noun to signify one being a loner, or disliked.
Zufli - Derogatory term for female Witch Doctors.

Gutterspeak:
Footnote: Gutterspeak is a combination of lower Common, Thalassian and Dwarven. Due to this, Forsaken would more than likely use either shortened forms of Common words, or just Common words all together.

Thalassian:
Kim'jael - Little rat, probably a word meaning "sly/sneaky bastard".
Kim'nah - Little enemy.
Kim - Prefix, as based on the last two words, which means "Little". Since most Horde races pride themselves on height and power, an insult such as "Kim'orc" would definitely insult an Orc.. If an Orc could understand Thalassian.

Well, there ya have it. A list of words to use instead of "f**k".. For at least half of Azeroth's races!
Jeneal jumps into the water. "HAHAHAHAHA!" She turns into a seal.
You'd only get suspended if you did it repeatedly despite a GM telling you not to. CotH isn't that strict.

And personally, I think getting into whether swear words would exist IC is getting a bit too far into it. There's lots of names for objects or words we could question the existence of.

Fun fact: The word 'hello' was originally used to greet people on the phone. Seeing as the telephone's not been invented, well, they could use something entirely different.

To not ramble on though: I wouldn't really think too much on whether a name/word wouldn't exist or not. Besides, even if stuff -was- implemented, I doubt many people would use them. I can see people getting annoyed at people CotHing on them for not using the right swear words etc. (Yes that's right, I used it! It was the best way of explainin)

That's just me though.
"I am more afraid of one hundred sheep led by a lion than one hundred lions led by a sheep."
There's nothing wrong with a character saying any words, really. Keep in mind everyone, 'Common' is not 'English'. For all we know, they might really be speaking spanish in Common. Why? Because everything's translated for us when it comes to common. So I could go off into a slur using the Spanish or French language in common, and it would make sense ICly. Because it is the meaning behind the words that matter.

When we say 'Hello' in Orcish, we're not really saying 'Hello'. We're saying something like 'Lok'tar'.

When we say 'Hello' in Taurahe, we're not really saying 'Hello'

When we say 'Hello' in Troll, we're not really saying 'Hello'

When we say 'Hello' in Draenei, we're not really saying 'Hello'

See what I'm getting at?

It's not the word that matters. It's the meaning behind the word. The only reason everyone speaks English on this server is so that everyone understands them.

The IC chat is really just a universal translator that turns everything into the language of the person who typed it up.

Also, PiesOfNub, I'm going to request you censor that post of yours. Such an amount of swearing is ridiculous, and unnecessary. There is no need to use swears on a level like that. It's a joke
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
Nicely put, Xigo.
HownDoog Wrote:The way I see it is the characters are actually speaking a language different than our own.
Every language will have its own special word with the same connotation as 'f**k'.

My favorite are 'fel' and 'blight'.

"What the fel?"

"You little blight."

Yes! Yes, they are speaking a different language. Blizzard hasn't released much common, but the song "O Thanagor" is mostly in common, except a few latin words here and there. If you wanna hear it, watch the Wrath of The Lich King intro. It is also known as "Arthas, My Son" and "Invincible."
[Image: 293D4BE4-7170-4C2A-B8BF-7EA572513EBD.jpg]
Spoiler:
[Image: Lazuri65.png]
I have no problem with characters using or even over using it. It will just make me think of them IC in the same way i think of people who swear like that in real life.

"Woah...what A Prat..."

Something along those lines. If someone overused the word I'd assume they were incapable of forming a real insult so they resort to shock value. Ergo telling me the person isnt all that furnished in the brain deparment. Nothing wrong with that for a character, but it's nice to see some flair in your aggressive/angry/angsty/whatever responces. Just stops your character appearing simply stupid.

Example: -

Generic angsty blood elf: "Fucking hell get out of my fucking way will you...?"

Awesomedwarf: "Ah quit yer bellyaching ya slovenly, up-yer-own-arse, steaming pile o'murloc excrement!"

Generic angsty blood elf: "... /cry "

Me: *Run's in and flying hug's the Dwarf*

:D
It's also interesting to know that the word f**k has been in use for a lot longer than most people think, the first recorded use (according to what I've read and been told) is from before the 1500s.

Personally I don't mind the word, as long as it's not used to insult someone else OOCly.

An interesting and entertaining little film clip.
History of the Word f**k.
All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare!

As pointed out by the video, the word f**k has a lot of usages.
Far more then originally needed.
((That video made me lol))
HownDoog Wrote:The way I see it is the characters are actually speaking a language different than our own.

Something like that.
It all depends on quantity and appropriateness in the context though. In general, I'm not picky over things like this, I certainly wouldn't want to see rules or anything against it, though I must admit I haven't come across a player who abused swearing yet.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did someone hear a cough? ToxinDoctor 1 757 12-30-2011, 03:10 PM
Last Post: Krilari
  Hither, was that a cough? ToxinDoctor 3 983 03-15-2011, 05:35 PM
Last Post: Dotsy
  Naughty Gm's /slap Fingelspark 15 2,649 08-27-2008, 09:20 AM
Last Post: kaiken
  Word on the street feedback! Marius 1 725 12-31-2007, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Grakor456