The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Regarding God-moding.
I am planning a character who is an eldery man. He is moderately feeble, not strong or fast physically, but I wanted him to have a strongsuit somewhere. Since he was a long-studied mage, I was thinking about making his specialty defensive magics, meaning counterspells, shields, armors etc. He would be nearly impossible to directly hit with a non-curse DoT/AoE or bolt-type spells except from a VERY experienced caster (Fireball, Frostbolt, Ice Lance, Shadowbolt, Chain Lightning, Wrath, Moonfire, Immolate, Smite etc.) He could also protect others, but not to quite the same degree. I wasn't sure if anyone would consider this God-modding, since he'd be very susceptible to physical attacks, both range and close-quarters. I suppose he COULD take indirect damage like singed hair and whatnot, but since he's an old man I don't want him getting kicked around too much, and for him to serve a purpose in a group.

What do you all think?
bump
Really, we tend not to give anyone specialities like that. Or you'd have to discuss it with anyone you're battling.
Azheron's back in business. For reals.
You could discuss this with the person you're battling. We mainly melee fight here though, and not allowing that for your character would really mess up the experience for the other player. Being pretty much invulnerable to magic is also a big no-no, since that's the kind of fighting you'd probably get in to. What'll happen is, like my old-man Mage, Keith, is that you'll fight in the environment, not pvp. There you get circumstances where this'll fit in because you're killing monsters with customisable movement.

I wouldn't advise him being a fighter in any way though, but a defensive only mage. I had to beef up Keith because of this, since I originally tryed to portray him like you portray your character. It didn't work for me. Try it, see where your character develops though!
Thank you both for your input. He's not going to be a fighter really in anyway. I'm sure there's enough of those. I just didn't want him to get kicked around too much.
EDIT: (This is mostly my feelings on the subject. It's not really directed at you. Take no offense to the words here, please, Xeahast.)

No matter what you say about your character, the dice decide everything.

'I have a magic barrier'. Well then. The barrier only works if you roll higher than your opponent.

'I have awesome armor'. Well then. Your armor only deflects an attack if you roll higher than your opponent.

ETC, ETC.

If you want your character to have special things that apply to no one else, then either...

A: Enter a RP fight [And be fair with it.]

B: Inform people of what you can do, and see if they agree with it or not. If they don't, well, whatever.

Everyone has something good or bad about their character. Dice fights even out the strengths and weaknesses of everyone into a fair, balanced system. If you truly want to play your character as you feel they should be in a fight, then make sure you declare it to be an RP fight, and ensure that you play your character -properly-.

I used to think beating the living daylights out of everyone made my character look cool. Now I realize that it doesn't.

When you enter a fight, -NEVER- go into it thinking your character -MUST- win because of whatever reasons you have. Your character can lose. Remember that.

One of my characters (Cough, Dagrim, Cough) constantly gets into fights. And at first, she -never lost-. Ever. Even in dice fights. And you know what? It got boring. Always winning stagnates your character development. You need to lose to learn from your mistakes. It was because of this that I began RP fighting more than Dice fighting, because I feel you can better represent your character in that. And that is when I had Dagrim start losing again. Her losing helped her develop as a character.

So don't worry if your character loses in a fight. It benefits them in the long run. And one last thing.

Your character is not the main character of the story. Your character does not have the 'main character bubble'. You do not only lose when it is dramatic. Know your characters limits. And never go past those limits. Or you will be accused of God modding.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
So really the only way to play a mage fairly would be to make him generic?
Xeahast Wrote:So really the only way to play a mage fairly would be to make him generic?
No. Just understand that you can lose.
Quote:[8:53AM] Cassius: Xigo is the best guy ever. he doesn't afraid of anything.
Sorry Xigo, I posted that before I saw your post. I took no offense to your point and understand completely. My character is not a missionary or a fighter (anymore) by any means. If anything, your statement proves my point. I wanted some defense since I'm a 67 year old man walking around in wool robes. It wouldn't be very realistic for me to destroy some high-end assassin or armored warrior. Nor would it be very realistic for an old man to survive a crushing blow by either of those. I don't plan on winning everything and I don't even plan on getting into fights. I thought up this idea with the dice fighting in mind, thinking absorbing a magical or even physical attack if I got a high defensive roll would be more realistic than a feeble senior citizen dodging or parrying with a wooden stick. I hope you see what I'm trying to say...
You can describe the results however you want. If you roll high defense, feel free as a mage to describe the effects of some kind of magical barrier. That is perfectly fine. However, if you rolled lower (even against an inexperienced mage) you'll have to accept the failure of being hit by a fireball or something.

Dice fights do make everything equal, but they don't always make sense and that is their flaw. If you find people you trust and can communicate with, trust fighting can be a whole lot of fun because it fixes that problem and gives everyone a little more freedom.
[Image: Lirshar_zpscaa814f0.png]
Alright that explains it a little better, thank you. Just making sure I can use my barriers and shields. Makes more sense to me =P
Xeahast Wrote:Sorry Xigo, I posted that before I saw your post. I took no offense to your point and understand completely. My character is not a missionary or a fighter (anymore) by any means. If anything, your statement proves my point. I wanted some defense since I'm a 67 year old man walking around in wool robes. It wouldn't be very realistic for me to destroy some high-end assassin or armored warrior. Nor would it be very realistic for an old man to survive a crushing blow by either of those. I don't plan on winning everything and I don't even plan on getting into fights. I thought up this idea with the dice fighting in mind, thinking absorbing a magical or even physical attack if I got a high defensive roll would be more realistic than a feeble senior citizen dodging or parrying with a wooden stick. I hope you see what I'm trying to say...
Ah, that's perfectly fine.
Keep in mind, too, that roleplaying combat does not need to be done via rolls. I personally don't like it myself, given that it assumes that players are in competition with one another rather than trying to build a story, which seems to defeat the purpose of roleplay. However, that's preference. So, you could very well have a character who exhibits the strengths that you want and maybe find others who are willing to accept those strengths using what I've heard called "trust" combat; in other words, you guys just interact against one another in combat without relying on the roll of the dice.

The roll-based combat system, however, is pretty prevalent on this server. Maybe you could find people who would be willing to accept that your character is stronger defensively than offensively by applying modifiers to your rolls. Perhaps an added 20 or so to defensive rolls but -20 to offensive?

Also, please do not dump your threads, particularly after only seven minutes. There's no reason for it. Bumping is something that you should do when either you have something substantially new to add to a thread or when a noticeable period of time (days?) has passed.
I even recently made an entire guide on how to RP fight, and that includes -nixing- the dice rolls, and just doing things fairly. There is a point when stuff just gets rediculously over-balanced. Will the old man have a chance? Sure, if he uses his magic well. Would someone trying to hammer his head probably kill him? Probably.

It's all about communication, and trust, in my opinion. Too many people rely on dice to tell them what to do.

Do you guys rely on dice in real life, too? *Rolls to see what to post next*
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Seeing as there are 5472 users, I took the liberty of rolling a 5472 sided dice.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2593324/

I rolled 1564

User number 1564 is YakumaScayth, who hasn't posted since May 10th of last year.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=6799

You must post about YakumaScayth in your next post, Rensin.