The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Talking mounts, who woulda thunk?
I used to have a tauren who owned a lazy Wyvern, and it was often questioned when the wyvern would speak and curse at him for being just a bit too heavy to carry... Any way, I got kind of tired of talking about it all the time, and the character started to move away from being played.

In any case, that was on a different server, and I have completely forgotten it in the year or so that's passed. However, upon seeing Volajar's wyvern roar at me, it jogged my memory about the matter. The Horde Player's Guide clearly states that the Wyverns can, and do, learn Orcish, Taurahe, and Common. Along with this, Hippogryphs learn Darnassian and Common.

I just figured that this is a huge bit of information, that ANY Horde character and Night Elf should know. You don't wanna go around acting like your Wyvern's just acting stupid, gnawing on a leg, when it can speak better than any ogre.
"Every gun..."

[Image: Jonah-Hex-Counting-Corpses-Flaming-Leap.jpg]

"...Makes its own tune."

~ The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly ~
I never knew this, I can imagine having a flying mount that talked and complained all the time, would be fun.
This makes me hate the poeple who write for Warcraft all the more. I'm sorry, how can something with a beak that lacks lips speak coherently, aside from wanting a cracker?

This is some Narnia stuff. :(
[Image: desc_head_freemasons.jpg]

△Move along.△

△△
△△△
△△△△

Actually, I just got pissed about that in-game, haha. It -is- rather ridiculous. I can understand Wyverns, but Hippogryphs? Really?
"Every gun..."

"...Makes its own tune."

Yeah I didn't know about Hippogryphs, but I knew about the Wyverns. I've enjoyed having my my wyvern Tafei tease and mock my Orc Maku. Hippogryphs are a stretch, but there are martial arts drunken pandas walrus people and parrots can imitate words so if they have a tongue I think they can articulate sounds somewhat clearly. Just a theory. I didnt know Hippogryphs were smart or had some sense of sentient being. Interesting though. I want a dragon, or a proto-drake. :D Come on GM's.
The Family Tree

TheBook of ThePharaoh

Pharaoh's Colosseum

The Four Suns Inn

"What are we, as role-players, if not authors in real time?" - MrBubbles

"I've always treated Role-play as Collaborative Writing. Co-authoring the stories of your characters, alongside other people." - Flammos200
We talked about this a little in-game once. I'd never noticed the beak point though, which is a good one to make. It was a big shock when I heard this for the first time. It's just kind of weird to imagine that a sentient being would be totally fine with it's life being drawn out to carry other races across continents for extremely low pay. I suppose you'd have to be really nice to them though to avoid being thrown into a lake mid-flight....

Another point would be using them as mounts. While there's a chance that wyverns can be used as mounts just to give the horde a flying mount, no matter how I was brought up, I wouldn't want to be stuffed in some smelly guy's pocket, damned only to come out and fly once every few days.

I dunno though.
[Image: badge.jpg]
[Image: badge.jpg]
To me its just some kind of failed last attempt of a writer on his last legs. I mean, I'm pretty sure Blizz isn't known for being brilliant writers such as Bioware *drool*

Ahem, I for one will never believe somthing that allows itself to become...basically WoW's airplanes, is able to communicate, I mean maybe -understand- but not -talk-

That'd give me nightmares...
Thanks for the info.

It's relatively common knowledge that a druid cannot speak in a shape-shifted form, so why can't they speak but certain mounts can?

Silly Blizzard.
Ignorance is bliss, so shut up!
Just... no. Leave speaking animals out of this.
(02-24-2012, 10:15 AM)Piroska Wrote: Conspiracy. That's all it is; Kret's afraid that your pure, digital awesomeness would crash the server if it were allowed.
(06-14-2013, 05:42 PM)McKnighter Wrote: Bovel, Lord of Beards

Character About Involvement
Causticity Blackbreath Goblin Alchemist -
Telaah Draenei Anchorite Writings of an Anchorite

[Image: kiXJxhI.gif]
Well we already know from Warcraft 3 when the wyvern appeared in game. It can speak. Hippo-gryphons or whatever you call them, *cough*damnelfmounts*cough* I have never seen them talk... But... Not to beat on Blizzard. They do a shit ton of work for an expanding universe. Something as small as a talk bird-tiger-stag-owl is something they really care about? No.

They are focused a lot more on Cataclysm. And even another expansion probably on top of that. Think guys, should we worry about it no, just do not put too much thought behind it.

Makura and Murlocs can talk, they do not have lips. Why waste the brain cells putting logic into it, it is magic guys, species we do not understand. It is a fantasy universe, do not ask for a calculater when reading a Lord of the Rings book do we? Or at least most of us don't I believe.

It is the way it is, sure there are holes in the lore. But Blizzard is a young company and they are really trying to make lore appease many outlooks. I highly doubt they care about the man-bear-pig-lion-eagle and the bird-tiger-stag-owl as much as making Gilneas make sense or flesh out Deathwing's persona more.
[Image: lich_king_signature_by_wyrx-d3jo9rm.png]
Wyverns can probably talk and have the intelligence they do because of their dragon ancestry.
[Image: tumblr_nfm4t0FZcT1rtcd58o1_r1_500.gif]
I don't know if Wyverns can actually -speak- Orcish, Taurahe ect. I think it would be more like a dog, how you can teach them to understand the language, but they can't speak it. Of course, Wyverns are more intelligent than a dog, but the only Wyverns in the entire game are either mounts, airplanes or in pre-40 zones, since there are no real npc Wyverns, it doesn't suggest a great amount of intelligence to actually speak and think as well as say, a orc or tauren. I am not denying their intelligence, but the ability for them to actually speak to anything other than shamans and druids, is a strange, at the very least.
Flammas eius lucifer matutinus inveniat:
ille, inquam, lucifer, qui nescit occasum,
Christus Filius tuus qui,
regressus ab inferis,
humano generi serenus illuxit,
et vivit et regnat in saecula saeculorum.

May the Morning Star which never sets
find this flame still burning:
Christ, that Morning Star,
who came back from the dead,
and shed his peaceful light on all mankind,
your Son, who lives and reigns for ever and ever.
From the WoWWiki wyvern article:
Quote:They speak Orcish and Taur-ahe, and are capable of learning Common and other languages.
Yes, they physically speak it. The information was taken from the monster manuals for the roleplaying game, I believe.
Pride Wrote:I don't know if Wyverns can actually -speak- Orcish, Taurahe ect. I think it would be more like a dog, how you can teach them to understand the language, but they can't speak it. Of course, Wyverns are more intelligent than a dog, but the only Wyverns in the entire game are either mounts, airplanes or in pre-40 zones, since there are no real npc Wyverns, it doesn't suggest a great amount of intelligence to actually speak and think as well as say, a orc or tauren. I am not denying their intelligence, but the ability for them to actually speak to anything other than shamans and druids, is a strange, at the very least.

Quote:They speak Orcish and Taur-ahe, and are capable of learning Common and other languages.

* Click speak for source.

Edit: Oh, beat me to the punch Piroska, haha. As far as...

Quote:The information was taken from the monster manuals for the roleplaying game

...is concerned, it's from the Horde Player's Guide. *nod nod*
"Every gun..."

"...Makes its own tune."

JackofBlades Wrote:Ahem, I for one will never believe somthing that allows itself to become...basically WoW's airplanes, is able to communicate, I mean maybe -understand- but not -talk-

That'd give me nightmares...

^ That goes for me as well, though I've always stayed clear of IC flying mount usage myself, I just don't like it and as someone said, I'm guessing you'd have to be very nice to them unless you want to get thrown off in mid-air. ^^ Like the flying mount would care if you dropped to a certain death.

But heh, guess it's possible if you look at the lore.
Quote:Perhaps one day, at a new sight,
We will search again for that light.
Hold it close, between our arms,
Listen again, to the priestess her charms.
- Me, in a poetry named "The Priestess."