The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $forumjump - Line: 89 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 89 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Green is the New Awesome- An Index of Vanity Sets (WIP)
Hello, and welcome. Have a seat, take a load off... But don't get too comfortable. We have things to do, models to pore over. I daresay, webs to surf. Or, if you're not one for coconut bras and 'Hey, brah's', then we can peruse them. Browse leisurely, gently, as though we were in some sanctified place. In a way, we will be.

This guide is in response to the sweeping changes brought to the server by Kretol the Great (or as the French know him, La Puissance de Orc) in this thread. For the first time, the playerbase will have full access to the many pieces of armor present throughout the game to use at level one. For the first time, they will have full control over what their character looks like.

Some players will inevitably be drawn to the shiny, new armor introduced in the latest patch. I believe it was... 'Med'ans Fortified Contemptuous Valorgear of Glorious Infernal Battlemongering', or something like that. There's some birds on it maybe, and everything glows a bright salmon color. Whatever the case, I understand. I have gone down that road as well, noticing how nicely-rendered everything is, how not... Bright-fuchsia the colors are. And for some characters, armor sets with tiers may be appropriate.

But there are other sets. Ones with simple names, ones that you probably never tried to collect every piece of, on retail. They have tiers, too. Tiers of sadness. Tiers of regret, for not being good enough...

But they are good enough! In a world where the characters around you are dressed to the nines as a hardcore raider is, imagine being garbed in humble equipment- Tunics, and pants. The kind that doesn't even have spikes coming out of them! In that moment, you will not be considered lesser for having the gear of a level 34 noob, but greater, for having the dedication to your character to not attach giant metal spineties to their face!

I'll make this short (pfft). Over the next few weeks, I'm going to be looking up these so-called "Vanity Sets", and organizing them by color (and to some extent, level). I will then link these humble collections of metal, leather, and cloth as a group, here, for your viewing pleasure. This process takes a very long time and makes my eyes bleed, but I will persevere. Bleeding out of the eyes builds character, after all.

The end result is that you (the player) will have a color-coded index of gear that most people will never even consider for their characters. I've longed for this sort of aid for years, as browsing through Wowhead's database for the right cloak for an hour can lead to the sort of self-loathing that poets write about. And I'm not talking about Homer. Or Francis Scott Key, whoever the crap that is.

I'm listing these sets by expansion, then type, then color, and lastly, by level among that color. So, the sets to the left will be lower-level on retail, meaning shorter cloaks and, most likely, less-fancy looking stuff. As of the time of writing this, I've done all of the cloth sets released for classic WoW. Leather, mail, and plate will be next, and then I'll move on to the 'uncommon' sets released for Burning Crusade.

If you're unfamiliar with Wowhead, after clicking the link, you'll see... A box, I guess. Two, if you're looking at a cloth set. There'll be a down arrow at the top-left of the box with the equipment in it, which you can click. An option should come up for 'View in 3D'. That will let you see what the item looks like on whichever race you select. Simple as that.

Oh, and for the love of all that is good and decent, right-click on these links and select 'Open in new tab.' You'll thank me.

It is my hope that the server will find this to be a useful resource. At the very least, I'm going to use this thing like crazy.

Enjoy!

Classic Wow
  • Cloth
Leather
Spoiler:
Mail
Spoiler:
Plate

Burning Crusade

Cloth
Leather
Mail
Plate

Wrath of the Lich King

Cloth
Leather
Mail
Plate

Cataclysm

Cloth
Spoiler:
Coming soon (maybe)!
Leather
Spoiler:
Coming soon (maybe)!
Mail
Spoiler:
Coming soon (maybe)!
Plate
Spoiler:
Coming soon (maybe)!
[Image: UzMPvzA.gif]
Excellent! Fantastic idea! Someone give this man and egg mcmuffin!
A very useful guide, please sticky it asap!
(02-24-2012, 10:15 AM)Piroska Wrote: Conspiracy. That's all it is; Kret's afraid that your pure, digital awesomeness would crash the server if it were allowed.
(06-14-2013, 05:42 PM)McKnighter Wrote: Bovel, Lord of Beards

Character About Involvement
Causticity Blackbreath Goblin Alchemist -
Telaah Draenei Anchorite Writings of an Anchorite

[Image: kiXJxhI.gif]
Well. I've finished linking all of the sets from classic WoW. Yaaay.

As you may have noticed, there are now letters after the armor-sets, in parentheses. They indicate cloak-length.

I'LL LET YOU DECIDE WHAT EACH LETTER MEANS. It's like a choose-your-own-adventure!

On a related note, are there any other easily-quantified things that I could notate about the sets to make the guide more useful? Level of intricacy, how cool I think it looks, on a scale of one to 10... Iyunno. You tell me.
You could show us a picture of them maybe? I mean, every set is different, and some sets have completely different parts. I personally think that, as someone who does this constantly, WoWhead's "Similar Model" feature is the tool for the job of mixing and matching a set you like. Perhaps you can note what color things are to help people find a set that looks neat.
I agree. I had thought to include pictures to start with, or to try and group the sets by model rather than color, but ran into too many issues with both ideas.

However, I think I may have found a decent solution- How about something like this at the beginning of each color category, for a quick overview?

Spoiler:
[Image: armortest.gif]

That would be the Classic WoW Cloth sets of 'Mixed' color, as an example.

Ehh? Ehh?
I love this.

I don't know which set it is or what expansion its from, but there is a necromancer robe set.
[Image: Ml7sNnX.gif]
Woah. That is a pretty sick gif. Excellent idea!
I think there is a Warlock set Aphetoros that looks necromancer esk, Felheart? idk if thats what your talking about but it has a cool headpiece.
Fallen to the Darkness,
lost to the Light,
she wanders alone,
in places of astounding height,
once a Champion,
of Life, of Love,
now only Hateful,
the Defiled and Murdered Dove

I Have Risen...
You're awesome <3 This was super useful for me, and helped me put together quite a few good outfits from this list.

Simply put: Thank you <3 <3 <3
All bumbling conjurers, clumsy squires, no-talent bards, and cowardly thieves in the land will be preemptively put to death. My foes will surely give up and abandon their quest if they have no source of comic relief.
This thread just get's better and better <3
Wonderful. I will now proceed to pirate gear sets for my own selfish use.
Beauty is in the eyes of the Beholder. Therefore, anyone with eyes knows gnomes and taurens are not pretty.
Thanks for making this, the abjurer's set works perfectly for what I need. Great work!
This is great. I love that you can click the links and it sends you to wowhead for a quick preview. This is much quicker than individually loading each item for each set in WMV. Good job.
The true test of his choice lies forward.
— The story of the Silithian.

See life through shades of silver.
Great post! I got a lot of ideas out of it. I also admire the time and effort it must have taken to arrange everything in the post. The .gifs were an awesome addition.